Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 06:22

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Calories?

Is anyone counting their calories or limiting their daily calories in any way? Because I know I've got to control them .... just wanted to know about your experience ...

Thanks in advance
Choc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 07:53

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Chocolate, I am butting in here. This is just my first time on this board I have posted on and been using The Schwarzbein Principle board for about 6 months.

I am curious also if anyone counts calories on this. I am hoping it can work without that, but would like to hear others experiences.

My question to you is -- did you lose the 5 lbs. *on* CAD ? I am going to give it a try. I have found that maintaining on TSP is very easy, but feel I may need to cut lower on carbs to lose any more weight and feel I may be able to do this easier on CAD and still keep it nutritionally sound.--like I have in my info at the side--'whatever works' is my plan.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 09:17
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

In the winter I don't count calories and maintain my weight or lose a few pounds eating like a pig. In the summer I do restrict calories more for greater weight loss though I still pig out on occassion, i.e. twice a month. Most of my weight loss has been on CAD. I usually gain weight every Feb due to SAD but have lost almost 150 pounds on CAD counting from the weight gains every year.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 10:31

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default no counting for me

I don't count calories at all ... it's one of the things that I like best about this plan. And I have lost on this plan. Just remember, that you can only expect to lose 1/2 to 2 pounds a week - it's slower than Atkins, but so far, I've found it's more consistent.

When I was on Atkins, I entered everything into fitday every day. After being on CAD for a couple of weeks, I did enter one day's totals into fitday, just to see how much I was eating compared to Atkins. There wasn't much difference. Although you can eat a generous Reward Meal, if you look at the suggested menus, the CMs that the Hellers describe are smaller than similar meals on Atkins. And of course, there is no snacking allowed! Many of the snack foods I ate on Atkins are only allowed at RMs on CAD (nuts, LC choc, etc).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Choc, I don't count anything right now. When I saw my thyroid dr. he told me some thyroid patients on atkins have to keep their carbs at 10 per day and count calories. Thank God that's not me.

When I did the zone I ate approx. 100carbs per day and 1100calories and gained 3 pounds a week, 3 weeks in a row..
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 14:29

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/175/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

Choc, no counting here! Have only been on this plan a few months and already have decided that I just love it!

The weight loss is slow, but at least I know that this is a program that I can live with and not feel like I'm missing out.

Good luck to you!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

butterfly,
did you lose all that weight on cad?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 14:47

Stats: 191/175/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

Yes, but my first few weeks I was REALLY strict with myself during RM's and only had fruit as a dessert. Also ate a ton more veggies instead of fries all the time. I'm still losing, but know that I could be doing a lot better. It's just SOOO FUN to eat like this!

Will probably get strict with myself again after the holidays. Would LOVE to be in the 150's or, dare I say 140's, by April.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 18:46

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default cm's low fat

keeping cm's low fat /low carb plus a balanced RM will automatically lower calories.

i think the CM'S are the heart of this diet and the type of carbs eaten daily is a factor. Someone eating fruit, legumes, veggies and natural starches, may have better results that someone eating cakes, icecream etc.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 21:09

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Re: Calories?

Quote:
Originally posted by chocolate
Is anyone counting their calories or limiting their daily calories in any way? Because I know I've got to control them .... just wanted to know about your experience ...

Thanks in advance
Choc

Nope, not in any way, shape or fashion! That isn't any part of Carb Addicts plans, not any of them. It isn't about calories, fat grams, drinking gallons of water or any other variation.....it is about controlling the amount of insulin my body produces.

I get there by following the Hellers' plan and not making up my own.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 23:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292.5/277.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I don't count calories but wonder sometimes how the next morning weigh in will be if I skip dessert one night. We went to Las Vegas for the weekend and went to the famous buffet twice! I used both for my RM's mid-afternoon. The first night I had a brownie and a 1/2 slice of key lime cheesecake and the second night, I had only 1/2 slice of german chocolate cake. I think the thing with the CAD diet is that you go all out at first like, you have to eat everything in the hour that you possibly can and that the next 23 hours are going to be so hard! But, after you are on it a couple of months, your body gets used to it and it feels "weird" to eat more than the 1 hr. per day of carbs.

I think next time I hit a plateau, I'm going to try implementing walking and also trying to have less calories at my RM. I really don't balance it out and eat 1/3 this, 1/3 that. A good friend who lost 50 on CAD said that when she read the book, you could eat whatever you wanted in the RM. I think they revised it. I try to start my RM with a salad every night which defintely causes me to eat less. I think that you have to do what works for you as long as you stay within the RM 60 min. guideline and also don't eat between meals and stick to the low carb CM's.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 23:46

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Rosaruga

Hi! I remember you from Schwarzbein. I'm on calp now because I gained on Schwarzbein, and couldn't control the carbs. Anyhow, I am starting to lose on calp, and I feel much much better. I am trying to eat the good stuff that Dr S recommends, but not overly stressing about it. I am still off caffeine & AS.

Lila
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 07:03

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default I think I phrased that wrong.

What I meant was ... do you practise any kind of limitation on quantity of food? Do you see a difference in the scales if you skip dessert or not? Or if you eat pasta rather than a steak for instance?

I don't count calories as such but I suffer from difficult digestion and I know that if I get up from the table feeling full I'm going to feel crummy all afternoon and my weight will not go down. So I don't eat until I'm full and I kinda feel like I'm losing (wouldn't really know because as of yesterday I chucked the scales which were just making me miserable).
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 07:59

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I spent so long on Atkins counting every calorie and gram ( I wasnt losing so trying the 10x theory which was better.... I tended to 'undereat' otherwise) I am so, so fed up with counting everything for no result, so plunging into CAD has been liberating.

I havent counted a thing yet... and dont intend to.... but I have been Low carb for so long I have brought a lot of my LC habits in with me. What I really desired was roast parsnips, and flapjacks, so - so far these sort of things have made up my RM 1/3's

has to be said these things are going to work out less calorific than say fudge sundae. But my hope is, that I will eat whatever I want at that time..... and that will rid me of all my diet hang - ups about dangerous food... give myself permision for anything.

In practise I think that will mean I will eat healthily and sensibly most of the time .

I find that I am able to define the terms... hunger, full, satisfied... with CAD. and its nice to be able to eat till satisfied.... as opposed to full.... if you see what I mean, Before this, I only knew Starving and Stuffed. with no inbetweens

just out of interest, I nipped into fitday, my old 2 nd home... and picked a couple at random..... one day was 1,400 and another 2,200.... dont know what effect it has on me though.....now I dont want to go back to fitday for a good long time lol

Last edited by plum : Tue, Dec-10-02 at 08:02.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 146/126.1/120
BF:26.5
Progress: 77%
Default no counting

Chocolate,

I don't count anything and it's wonderful! I started on Atkins and got quickly tired of keeping that stupid notebook and weighing and counting everything I ate.

Not having to count anything is one of the best things about CAD/CALP.

I'm wondering why you think you need to count calories. Have you tried this plan without counting and not been successful?

Lisa