Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 10:18

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict
Stats: 162/168/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default New (Both to Forum and CAD)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and to CAD, and a 2-monther on Low Carb in general

A bit about my dieting history:

I was vegetarian up until December, where I switched back to being pescetarian, and am now a full meat-eater (only organic meats, though). I started Atkins about February at 163 lbs, and didn't lose or gain on Induction. I wish I'd measured though, because now I'm 168 lbs, but I've gained only a half inch at the waist since I last measured (at 155 lbs), and lost an inch on my hips. So I fit into the same clothes, but the gain is still driving me up the wall!!

Anyway, I know the strictness of Atkins plus the scale not moving is setting me up for binge. I admit I'm a binge eater and I need to get under control. I really think 140 lbs is good for my height (5'8), but every pound is such a battle (and obviously I'm not winning). The only time I lost on Atkins was doing the Meat/Fat Fast. Which is not livable.

So I checked out CAD, got rated at Moderately Addicted (though personally I'm convinced it's Severe). It's 4th day today, and I feel SO happy about not having cravings. I'm adding some light resistance exercise and walking to the mix. I think it's too early to tell yet.

If anyone can give me any advice (did anyone experience the same thing as me going low carb?) that'd be great. I'm honestly a lurker by habit, but I'll pop up now and then. There's a lot of useful info on this site--total thanks to those who took the time to set it up
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 17:51

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%

Hi Amrita,

I am new too CAD/CALP so can't really give much advise (have been low carbing for 10 years on an off ) except that I hope you succeed in reaching your goal. There are so many experienced people on here who know the program inside out so their advise is amazing (you can see some of the posts where they made suggestions on the meals I was having and where I was going wrong)

One thing i can say about the program is to make sure your meals are BALANCED. I am also (was hopefullly) a binger but feel much more in control since following this program exactly as it should be. It has only been 2 weeks but have lost about 4.5 lbs - balancing my meals made a world of difference plus drinking 1.8 litres of water daily. This is the only program that makes me feel like i am not on a diet, that this is how normal people feel and food was meant to be eaten. I honestly do not feel deprived at all.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 17:58

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm new to CALP, so can't advise, but one experience that really surprised me which I'll mention to one is that one day I happened to be MUCH more active than normal, running all around everywhere with errands, etc. - and the following day I was ravenous.

Absolutely "starving to death!!"

So I'm trying to find out what I should eat before and or after exercise so that I do not experience such a wild hunger ever again.

It was very surprising.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 07:22

BF:
Progress:

Had an amazing RM last night: chicken caesar salad + gelato! The gelato was huge, even the "small", so I only managed half. Very satisfying though, you have no idea how many looks of longing I'd been giving that place since it opened--while I was on Atkins. I'm still totally psyched that I can eat sugar AND not be hungry! I had dinner at 6 pm, and by 11 pm I was still full. Miracles!

And I was 0.5 lb lighter today! Probably just a fluctuation, but it still made me happy. I'll stick to the CAD advice on averaging a week's weight though.

~lil' annie: that's weird, but I think it's normal. The skinny people I know experience the same thing (then I have to sit and watch them scarf down plate after plate in size 2 jeans). It'll probably balance itself out. If not, maybe you can anticipate it by eating more when you move more? I lost the link, but there's a lot of research that shows people tend to naturally compensate more movement ("exercise") by eating more. One of the exercising-for-weightloss-is-BS theories
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 07:40

BF:

One researcher claims that running suppresses the appetite.

The type of exercise you do affects your food cravings
Low-Carb War Zone Forum

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=392587
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 09:09

BF:
Progress:

It is an interesting article, but I think there are some things in there that aren't quite right.

Like it says "Swimming creates a craving for fatty foods, such as cookies and chocolate while weight-lifters crave potatoes and pasta."--ok, cookies and chocolate are more fatty than potatoes in pasta BUT, the writer entirely ignores that all the foods mentioned are carb-heavy foods. She also implies later that both protein and carbohydrates are needed to bulk up, and that it's fat that makes you fat. A lot of LCers can tell you that's not true. Also, they don't mention the study or research that they base their observations on.

I used to run a lot (when I weighed more, actually), and it's true that afterwards I wasn't hungry, but talk to me an hour after that and I was one ravenous, ravenous monster.

I Googled around and found the article I'd read:

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

I do think exercise does still have benefits (you feel good!), but I don't think it's so important for weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 11:50
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-

welcome to the forum and CAD. I have no idea why you gained on Atkins, but I think you have to really balance your RM. Be sure you have lots of veggies- lots of water. I found that 2 things limited my loss- sugar and alcohol. When I was losing I ate lots of more complex carbs and had sugar only a couple of times a week.

About the exercise- just see what happens. I walk and lift weights and don't experience that. If I am exercising more than a few hours I will make sure to eat more, and if I am walking more than 4 hours I may even have 2 RMs (so I can add carbs int eh am). Remember- I am maintaining.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 14:52

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-

welcome to the forum and CAD. I have no idea why you gained on Atkins, but I think you have to really balance your RM. Be sure you have lots of veggies- lots of water. I found that 2 things limited my loss- sugar and alcohol. When I was losing I ate lots of more complex carbs and had sugar only a couple of times a week.

About the exercise- just see what happens. I walk and lift weights and don't experience that. If I am exercising more than a few hours I will make sure to eat more, and if I am walking more than 4 hours I may even have 2 RMs (so I can add carbs int eh am). Remember- I am maintaining.

I did stick to the 1/3s thing, so it was technically portioned...just pretty awful carbs, I admit. The truth is I rarely crave any grainy foods. The RM yesterday came with a roll of fresh-baked bread--didn't care for any, not even a curious nibble. I'll probably tone it down as I go, I just haven't had sweets for so long and that's all I can think about at RM. It's better today--blueberries and a nibble or two at some dark chocolate.

About the gaining on Atkins--yeah, I was kinda weirded out. I measure almost exactly the same as when I weighed 15 lbs less, but it feels like someone filled my insides with lead. I can actually feel muscle when I poke my stomach now. I guess it was kinda win/lose.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 12:14

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Amrita,

Welcome to the forum ! I know you will love it here, the people and the support are great!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 12:18

BF:

For me personally, any type of exercise suppresses the appetite. It must be all those endorphins and serotonin being released in the brain. They make me happy and definitely make me a lot less hungry. I have always thought that I often eat because I am depressed. After exercise, my outlook on life improves, and so does my eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
One researcher claims that running suppresses the appetite.

The type of exercise you do affects your food cravings
Low-Carb War Zone Forum

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=392587
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 12:28

BF:

Amrita,

That gelato sounds delicious I too am somewhat new to CALP (less than 2 mos.), but I am still amazed at how I can have my cake and eat it, too ! I have been having the occasional dessert, when I felt like it, and still been able to lose.

This is why CAD/CALP is a way of eating for life. I feel it is the best-kept secret of LC living You are not deprived, and yet if you follow it as prescribed, your insulin sensitivity improves, and so does your hunger. You lose weight and you can have some carbs without being thrown into a tailspin or get continuous hunger signals.

As Eno said in another post, CAD/CALP is not a die-it, it is a live-it.

Happy to see you here:
Eliza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrita
Had an amazing RM last night: chicken caesar salad + gelato! The gelato was huge, even the "small", so I only managed half. Very satisfying though, you have no idea how many looks of longing I'd been giving that place since it opened--while I was on Atkins. I'm still totally psyched that I can eat sugar AND not be hungry! I had dinner at 6 pm, and by 11 pm I was still full. Miracles!

And I was 0.5 lb lighter today! Probably just a fluctuation, but it still made me happy. I'll stick to the CAD advice on averaging a week's weight though.

~lil' annie: that's weird, but I think it's normal. The skinny people I know experience the same thing (then I have to sit and watch them scarf down plate after plate in size 2 jeans). It'll probably balance itself out. If not, maybe you can anticipate it by eating more when you move more? I lost the link, but there's a lot of research that shows people tend to naturally compensate more movement ("exercise") by eating more. One of the exercising-for-weightloss-is-BS theories
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 21:05

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%

Just wanted to know if brocoli and avacado is allowed outside of RM - I have ordered the book but dont have it yet so can't refer to it I but I think I "heard" somewhere here that they were but can't be sure... i remember it wasn't allowed on CAD. Also can someone advise if there are any other changes to the list of foods that are allowed during CM on CALP but weren't on CAD ? thanks
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 05:52
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
the food lists are basically the same - I bet someone else has done the work to compile them and hopefully will answer you.
Avocado is RM only. Broccoli is cm/rm- with a caution that some people respond to it with hunger so for them it is rm only. I eat broccoli for cm and have no problems.
CALP is stricter about balancing, and has more info about artificial sweeteners (AS) and MSG. There are 'options' to eliminate/reduce both of them.
E
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 08:56

BF:
Progress:

Checking in after the weekend--did okay, except for a small incident on Saturday where I swayed a bit due to a messed up schedule. I didn't cheat, but my RM got switched and I was a lot hungrier than I should have been. I don't like that I switched around so early. I'm embarking on my TOM soon so I'm gonna hold out on weighing in until that blows over.

My TOM cravings are waaaay scary so wish me luck!

Question: Is it bad if you skip both CMs of the day and just have a (large) RM, that's still portion controlled for carbs? It's 11am and I haven't had brekkie and my stomach feels fine. I'm going to a really nice restaurant tonight so I'd rather just wait to eat till then (and appreciate it!).
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 13:49

BF:

I know that the Hellers advise to simply skip breakfast if you aren't hungry, but I'm unsure what is specifically stated, if anything, about one meal a day.

However, on these forums, there are lots of posters who eat once a day -- they refer to their form of low carb as "Intermittent Fasting."

Have a nice supper tonight!