Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 05:28
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Breakfast ideas without eggs??

OK, I've been on this plan for almost a week now, and I have a confession to make.

I HATE EGGS.

That's the one thing that has always kept me from going low-carb in the past. I can tolerate eggs in an omelette or a quiche, if there's a lot of veggies/cheese/etc in there to hide the taste of the eggs. But even so, I don't LIKE them, I just tolerate them.

For reasons I outlined in my introduction, I know that I HAVE to stay committed to LCing. I don't want to let my egg-phobia scare me off and ruin my chances of success.

What else can I eat for breakfast? That's the one time of day when I miss my carbs the most. I've always eaten starchy things for breakfast. On the numerous other diet plans I've tried, I have found that I do better at avoiding cravings later in the day if I have some protein along WITH the carbs. But now that I've committed to LCing, I'm at a loss as to what to do about breakfast.

I've only got a week left in Phase 1, and I can probably manage to survive with eating eggs for breakfast for another week. But I looked at some of the phase 2 menus in my SB book and they scare me - it looks like they're adding back too many carbs at once.

I do like cottage cheese for breakfast a couple of times a week. Before LCing, I used to have it with fruit and some almonds, and it made a perfectly satisfying breakfast. Would that be an OK thing for Phase 2?? I tried eating the cottage cheese and almonds without the fruit the other day (just as an alternative to eggs) and wasn't too crazy about it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 06:51
For Real This Time

BF:

Oh and by the way my husband is KILLING me this morning - he's making breakfast, as he does every Sunday, and he's making WAFFLES.

Way to be supportive, Honey!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 07:18
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaliz67
Oh and by the way my husband is KILLING me this morning - he's making breakfast, as he does every Sunday, and he's making WAFFLES.

Way to be supportive, Honey!
AW..........maybe on the weekend when he does breakfast would be a good time to get out....by yourself and do something? Just a suggestion, a walk, trip to market, Wally World? If you don't see it you won't miss it? Good luck, I have no suggestions for SB breakfast, now if you were doing Atkins, I could help...

Maybe start a journal, it is a good way to monitor and let others stop by and lend an idea or two???

Happy sunday........don't let it (breakfast get to you....)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 07:37
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I eat the same breakfast every day of oatmeal, and you can do that in phase 2. You can also have yogurt. Judy posted her meals for 20 months in her old journal. There is a link to it on the food list page. I'm sure you can get some ideas from that.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 07:39
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1gi
AW..........maybe on the weekend when he does breakfast would be a good time to get out....by yourself and do something? Just a suggestion, a walk, trip to market, Wally World? If you don't see it you won't miss it? Good luck, I have no suggestions for SB breakfast, now if you were doing Atkins, I could help...

Maybe start a journal, it is a good way to monitor and let others stop by and lend an idea or two???

Happy sunday........don't let it (breakfast get to you....)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not do that. Sunday is the only time we all sit and eat breakfast together as a family. I'll find other ways to deal !!

I said something to him about the waffles, and he made me an omelette. So I didn't eat the waffles, but I still sat and ate breakfast with the family.

The omelette was OK, and I appreciate him making it for me, but for the future I'd still like some non-egg breakfast ideas!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 07:41
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I eat the same breakfast every day of oatmeal, and you can do that in phase 2. You can also have yogurt. Judy posted her meals for 20 months in her old journal. There is a link to it on the food list page. I'm sure you can get some ideas from that.

Thanks Susan - I'll check that out.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 08:01

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I don't like eggs all that much either and really don't eat them a whole lot! For breakfast, I do eat cottage cheese some days. If you like starchier tasting things...the protein/flax muffin is a great alternative. There are also some great recipes to make LC waffles and pancakes and then you can eat along with the family! I do it all the time. Also, I am reminded often by different people, you don't always have to eat breakfast food for breakfast! It can also be leftovers from the night before! Or a whole new meal that you might normally eat for lunch or what have you! You just have to get used to that concept! Check out the recipe section on this board for some good ideas or other LC recipe sites! Hope that helps!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 09:13

Plan: DSP
Stats: 232/197/150 Female 5'2"
BF:lots of it
Progress: 43%

In the SBD book that I have there is a page that addresses this issue. Dr. Agatston writes: "Since you don't like eggs, you can enjoy tofu, Canadian bacon, fat-free or low-fat cheese, plain yogurt, peanut butter, or the chicken, fish, or beef from last night's dinner - all foods high in protein."
I'm not the biggest fan of eggs either. But sometimes I'll boil them and make deviled eggs for breakfast. Another suggestion is that you make a crustless quiche. Add as many veggies as you are allowed and that you like, such as spinach and mushrooms, and top it with a low-fat cheese. That can give you variety depending on what you put in and on it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

One thing I've done is "think outside of the traditional breakfast box"!

I've had tuna salad for breakfast....chicken, chili, leftovers from dinner the night before. Cottage cheese or hummus with chopped tomatoes and cucs.

I eat 1/2 cup of yogurt with my morning coffee. After that I will eat more food as in a bowl of chili or some tuna or chicken salad.

I make an omelet maybe once a week. I saved my veggies(onions, bepp peppers, mushrooms with wilted spinach) from dinner Friday night and will have them in a frittata for my brunch today.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 12:02
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
One thing I've done is "think outside of the traditional breakfast box"!

I've had tuna salad for breakfast....chicken, chili, leftovers from dinner the night before. Cottage cheese or hummus with chopped tomatoes and cucs.

But not cottage cheese with fruit? I would definitely skip the pineapple - which used to be my favorite fruit to combine with cottage cheese - because from what I've read it's too high-glycemic. But some of the lower-glycemic fruits maybe? Berries? Cantaloupe? (still can't quite understand why cantaloupe is low-glycemic but watermelon is high- I have a lot to learn!)

A lot of the Phase 2 breakfast menus in the book seem to include some sort of grain AND fruit - which, like I said, seems scary to me. (seems like adding too many carbs at once) And it also seemed a little contradictory because somewhere in the book it said that fruit first thing in the morning was probably not a good idea. But I think maybe a little bit with my cottage cheese would be OK???

I suppose I could just try it, once I get into Phase 2, and see how it works out for me. I just thought I'd ask the experts first!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 15:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaliz67
But not cottage cheese with fruit? I would definitely skip the pineapple - which used to be my favorite fruit to combine with cottage cheese - because from what I've read it's too high-glycemic. But some of the lower-glycemic fruits maybe? Berries? Cantaloupe? (still can't quite understand why cantaloupe is low-glycemic but watermelon is high- I have a lot to learn!)

A lot of the Phase 2 breakfast menus in the book seem to include some sort of grain AND fruit - which, like I said, seems scary to me. (seems like adding too many carbs at once) And it also seemed a little contradictory because somewhere in the book it said that fruit first thing in the morning was probably not a good idea. But I think maybe a little bit with my cottage cheese would be OK???

I suppose I could just try it, once I get into Phase 2, and see how it works out for me. I just thought I'd ask the experts first!

Being that you are still in phase I, I tailored my answer to your needs. No fruit at all while in phase I....have you ever tried to eat chopped fresh veggies(tomato, bell pepper, onion, cucumber) with cottage cheese? I really enjoy it now even in maintenance.... with a little yummy russian dressing!

The book can drive you crazy if you look at the menus and then read the book itself. Yes, it is not wise to eat fruit first thingin the morning...at first anyway. As you progress into eating this way as a way of life, you may find that you can have a fruit serving in the am.

While you are looking for weight loss, it is wise to avoid the high glycemic fruits like pineapple, watermelon, raisins and stick to the allowable fruits on the fruit list. When you get to your goal and are maintaining, is the time to try the higher GI fruits.

So, when you do get to phase II, if you want to try to berries or cantaloupe with your cottage cheese for breakfast, go ahead!!

First week phase II is 1 fruit a day....you may want to save it for your late afternoon snack. Phase I veggies are unlimited so having them with your breakfast is a better choice...IMO!!

Hope this helps!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 16:23
For Real This Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Being that you are still in phase I, I tailored my answer to your needs. No fruit at all while in phase I....have you ever tried to eat chopped fresh veggies(tomato, bell pepper, onion, cucumber) with cottage cheese? I really enjoy it now even in maintenance.... with a little yummy russian dressing!

The book can drive you crazy if you look at the menus and then read the book itself. Yes, it is not wise to eat fruit first thingin the morning...at first anyway. As you progress into eating this way as a way of life, you may find that you can have a fruit serving in the am.

While you are looking for weight loss, it is wise to avoid the high glycemic fruits like pineapple, watermelon, raisins and stick to the allowable fruits on the fruit list. When you get to your goal and are maintaining, is the time to try the higher GI fruits.

So, when you do get to phase II, if you want to try to berries or cantaloupe with your cottage cheese for breakfast, go ahead!!

First week phase II is 1 fruit a day....you may want to save it for your late afternoon snack. Phase I veggies are unlimited so having them with your breakfast is a better choice...IMO!!

Hope this helps!

Yes, it does, thank you.