Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 06:56

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default OCONUS U.S. Military Families

Hi,

Do live and/or work on a US Military base/post outside the US. If so, let's start a thread to support each other and compare notes. I find that I cannot always find the same things at the commissary that are discussed in some of the threads. I see things in Germany that not labeled and I am not sure about them.

I am a civilian employee and have lived in Germany, Italy and Korea and find living overseas unique, wonderful and sometimes frustrating. I love to travel and this is a great opportunity. I want to get into shape by next summer so I can hike and bicycle in some of the beautiful places in Europe.

Let's swap stories about LC'ing overseas and maybe even an adventure or two.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 14:40
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%
Wink

I'm a civilian employee too....but I live in the states...been at the same base for 10 years plus...I know...no adventure. I hope you get more overseas people to join your group. It sounds great.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 02:50

BF:

Hi Cheryl,

Where are you and what do you do? I know people at most of the bases in California having lived and worked there for so many years. Let me know if you are ever interested in exploring overseas employment and I will be glad to be a guide. It is an adventure, for sure.

I see you joined about the same time I did. Are you feeling better on this WOE. I am and really want to get into shape to do the outdoor stuff before I come back to CA for a visit next September. Have you been keeping a journal?

Maybe other civilians will join us.

Happy New Year and keep on LCing. Susan
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 20:40
Living LaVita LoCarb

I'm at Travis...
I started lc'ing in November...but didn't really do it right...I had to learn more... I went off of it for a week in December...Christmas time...I am now on Atkins induction phase...day 8 and doing quite well...I'm different than most...I won't weigh myself yet. I go to a support group...and we didn't have meetings for 2 weeks...which means 3 total weeks without weighing in. My next meeting on the 8th...just so happens to be my 14th day of Atkins....I hope to have a 5 pound loss....but remember the 1st week of the 3...I was eating any thing and everything. I weighed 272 at my last meeting.
I feel really good about it...and I've noticed lots of changes in my body since I started...especially the hunger thing...
I did start a journal the other day...I haven't written that much in it yet...but I will check in daily.
My husband....recently retired AF is doing low carb too..but not Atkins. He eats a well rounded meal once a day....but he doesn't load up on potatoes and bread anymore.
What kind of work do you do. I'm in the medical field...clerical type...sort of...
Oh...I no this might sound wierd to you...but I have no desire to travel overseas...I've lived a sheltered life...you might say...but my big desire it to visit all 50 of the US...and I'd love to see Canada too.
Talk to you soon
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 20:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheryl R
.and I'd love to see Canada too.

If you're ever in British Columbia, give us a yell, we're always meeting for one thing or another in Vancouver, and we'll organize something to coincide with your visit.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 21:06
Living LaVita LoCarb

I'll keep that in mind...
I'm not doing any traveling out side of California this year....we just bought a home...and we buckling down....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 01:04

BF:

Hi Cheryl,

Sounds like you are really committed. Me too. I started induction again on New Year's Eve and have been really committed for the last 4 days. Also started back at the gym.

I love that you want to see all 50 states and Canada. It is a really great country. Had I not traveled throughout the US (49 of the 50 and lots of Canada) I probably would not have enjoyed overseas as much. I highly recommend the Grand Canyon (especially the North Rim - it is less spectacular but not as commercial and crowded). It is also near Bryce Canyon and Zion so you can make a trip out of it.

I work for Army Community Service. I was an employment counselor for those leaving the military for many years. In June I was working for the Navy in Sardinia, Italy and took this job in Germany. Now I work with spouse groups and with deployment readiness. I do quarterly, 3-day leadership trainings, speak at family groups and work daily with deployment issues. It is a new job for me and I am enjoying the challenge of something new.

Keep in touch and I will look for your journal soon. Keep on LCing! Susan