Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194.6/141.5/120 Female 5ft 5.5in
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Stevia Extract with no Aftertaste

Hi all.. There may be a more appropriate place for this post, but hopefully it will get moved if this is the case..

I recently bought a cookbook called "Low Carb Cooking with Stevia".
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...966429?v=glance

In the introduction of the book, a lot about Stevia's background was discussed. I learned something new: apparently, there is one component of Stevia ("Rebaudioside-A", a type of "stevioside") which, if isolated, has a very pure flavor -- apparently almost indistinguishable from powdered sugar. Regular Stevia can have an aftertaste or bitter flavor -- this comes from the other components of Stevia.

Unfortunately, most Stevias sold in the USA have a very low percentage of Rebaudioside A. However, the labeling may say 100% pure Stevia, or "Over 80% Steviosides!". This is misleading, since Rebaudioside A might make up just 40% of the steviosides in the Stevia.

Apparently, it is difficult to get pure Rebaudioside-A in the USA due to some controversy/conspiracy involving Stevia manufacturers, the FDA, and the Aspartame/Saccharin folks. The author even said that he couldn't find any Stevia in the USA with more than 60% Rabaudioside-A, but that he had tried some 100% Rabaudioside-A in Japan (where Stevia has been used in soft drinks for years), and it did, indeed, taste like powdered sugar.

I was randomly searching around online, and found this company, "Sooolite!":
http://www.sooolite.com/

They make a product that they say is 95% Rebaudioside. They don't seem to sell it in small amounts, but another company does:
http://www.nunaturals.com/products/sooolite.html

I'm pretty excited about it. The better flavor, and the fact that it doesn't have the potentially carby fillers that other Stevias have.

They seem to have 2 potential good products made with Sooolite:
- "SoooLite! No Carbs Blend" which they sell in powder or packets.
- "SoooLite! Pure Extract"

I'd like to get the "Pure Extract" (some other websites have better prices), but it apparently takes 1/64 to 1/72 of a tsp to equal 1 tsp of sugar. (1/4 tsp replaces half a cup of sugar!) Can't really imagine having to deal with 1/72 tsp of anything, especially in my morning coffee

The smallest measuring spoons I've seen are "smidgen" (1/32) "pinch" (1/16) and "dash" (1/8). (Anyone seen smaller?) I guess 1/32 would work -- it would be like 2 tsp of sugar. The pure stuff is probably best for baking.

The "No Carbs Blend" packets are supposed to be like all the other packet sweeteners: 1 packet = 2 tsp sugar. Erythritol is used to increase the volume so the packet contains more than a microscopic amount of powder. Luckily they chose the only worthwhile sugar alcohol. (Don't get me started

If I order some Sooolite stuff, I'll let everyone know how it is.

Just thought I'd throw all this out there.

-e.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 17:43

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

wow that's interesting, thanks for posting!

my stevia is from puritan's pride. it's better than the others i have tried, but i do recognize that bitter taste.

have you read about all of the health benefits associated with stevia? no wonder the fda isn't too eager to get it into the public. we might not need all this medication if people take such immune system boosters!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 05:09

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I got the $1 sample packets and fell head over heels in love with them.

Then I went ahead and bought a box of the sooolite blend. The box was bitter and harsh. Easily one of the biggest letdowns I've ever had with a commercial product. When I wrote to the company they agreed with me that the second batch wasn't as good as the first but had no plans to resolve it.

If they can get their consistency issues in order, they've got my business. Until then, no sooolite/stevia for me.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 18:05
Registered Member

Stats: 194.6/141.5/120 Female 5ft 5.5in
BF:
Progress: 71%

Interesting. I wonder why it was bitter. Did they give an explanation, or offer to send a replacement? (They definitely should.)

Do you have any experience with the "Pure Extract"?

And.. Yeah; I know a little about the health benefits -- not a lot, though. I'm more into it because it has no carbs, and (might) taste like powdered sugar. Though, I do like that it is probably better than all of the artificial sweeteners, in terms of health.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 18:57

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The gist of their reply was "yes, the second batch isn't as good, but it's close and it's still superior to regular splenda." That wasn't the answer I was looking for. And no, no offer to replace it.

I saved the entire correspondence if you're interested. It's a bit long to post here and I don't think it would fit in a PM.

That's all I have experience with - the sooolite blend. The erythritol they add couldn't be responsible for the bitterness so if the stevia in the blend is questionable, that makes the pure extract just as iffy as well.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 09:43

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

i use the Sweet Leaf liquid Stevia and i absolutely love it. No sour taste at all.. just sweetness. It took me several used to figure out you have to shake it up before using it though.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 16:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 180cm
BF:7%
Progress:

I use Stevia Balance from NOW foods. Excellent taste, no aftertaste, bulked with Inulin (fiber, sweet) and has 50 mcg of chromium per packet. Perfect for tea
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,candidia
Stats: 145/135/125 Male 5feet3
BF:
Progress: 50%

I found one from nu-naturals 90% steviasides, then maltodrextin, must be the other 10%, 2 help with caking of the powder, I like it just fine. i used it 2 night 2 make a batch of carol r's chocolate, from a recent post, and it was greeeaaattt!

I used 2- tablespoon fulls of stevia in the batch , what a life saver ~~~~Rocks
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 10:27

Stats: 190/176/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Wot about us europeans?

Hi guys,

Have spent an interesting afternoon reading the pros and cons about Splenda and Stevia and have decided that Stevia would be the best all round for health's sake. Unfortunately I cannot find any for sale within the EU or a US company who can ship to France at minimal cost. You guys seem to get all the goodies over there - think I'll have to move!!!

Any info gratefull received and followed up. Cheers
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 17:00

Stats: 192/180/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Chris1112

I have found Jim Healthy's Stevia to have no bitter aftertaste. Any other suggestions out there?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-13, 20:38

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I use nothing but KAL brand Stevia - pure stevia extract with no aftertaste - just sweetness.

Ingredients:
Stevia Extract (Stevia rebaudiana) (leaf) (Supplying Steviosides)

And what is very important to me:

Other Ingredients: None.

That means no hidden sugars, no anything that I might not want to eat disguised as Natural Flavorings.

Did you know they can (and very often do) use the anal sacs of the North American Beaver and hide it in the ingredients under the "Natural Flavorings" heading? Google Castoreum if you don't believe me.

Aside: So what I really want to know is who went up to a beaver, bit it's butt, and said, hmmmm, tastes a little like vanilla, or strawberries.

So Kal is pure stevia, with no after taste, and no other ingredients. It's all I put in my coffee or tea (OK, I lied, I add cream)

Plus it's economical. A 3.5 oz bottle has over 2,000 servings in it. Each serving is about as sweet as a level tsp of sugar. There are plenty of places to get this product on-line - do some comparative google shopping there are some good deals out there.

Bob