Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 12:16

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Question new and ambitious

Alright... here I go. I quit a 20 year smoking habit in May of 2001, and when they say you gain weight... it's true. In May, I was 106, smoking a pack a day, and eating whatever I wanted. Now, I am 140, not smoking, running in 10k races, and eating everything in sight. I know I can beat this eating habit, but what I need is a daily, meal by meal (and snack) guide.
If anyone out there can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I know my situation is not a major health issue (considering where I was), but it is dramatically affecting my happiness and relationships. HELP!!!
Thank you so much.
Brenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Brenda

Hi Brenda, I'm assuming since you've pick the Atkin's plan to follow you've researched low carb and this is the life style you're looking for. A great decision.

As far as planning meals, everyone's likes and dislikes are so different. If you haven't read through some of the journals, there are great ideas there....real like menus for sure. Also, you should check out the lowcarb recipe section. We have recipes by the "Famous Executive Chef Karen", as well as our own members. (If you haven't read the post yet, Karen's picture is in the November issue of Chatelaine).

You're smart that you've decided to get a jump on your health, before you do have problems. Everyone knows that being overweight isn't a good thing. I've heard so many people say the same thing about smoking..they could eat whatever they wanted and then when they quit poof! I don't think you'll regret your decision to stop smoking, I personally have never met anyone who used to smoke and have them say to me, "wish I was still smoking". Congratulations on that defeat. If you can conquer the smoking monster you can conquer your eating habits as well.

It's always a good idea to start a journal, if you haven't considered doing so.

Good luck, post often and let us know how you're doing!!!

Last edited by Sharon : Mon, Oct-08-01 at 18:32.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 14:46

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Brenda - quitting smoking was a BIG contributor to my weight gain too. Except I waited about 5 years as a non-smoker before I did anything about it! My weight crept on a little more slowly than yours. You are obviously on a get healthy kick this year, good for you!

The great thing about low-carbing is that you are *full* on less food because proteins and fats stay with you longer than carbs do. That and cutting out the *processed* foods, (with very few exceptions, if it didn't come direct from the farm, I don't eat it).

I run too - but I'm only up to 5K - my love is hiking - I run so I can hike.

You'll find your energy level soars once you become adjusted to low carbing.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 16:37

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

What's the best way to curb the sugar cravings? I never realized how much of my eating was craving driven. Now, trying to eat according to strict rules is challenging. I know that for me, I have to cut out the sugar and carbs, not just try to tone it down. What's worked best for ya'll? Are there any "tricks" to get started?
Thanks!
Brenda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 17:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi Brenda, welcome aboard!

If you are craving sugar/sweets --- eat protein and some fat. Have meat dipped in mayo, or a little melted butter ... First, it will satisfy your "hunger" ... fat especially is very satiating, and this is true even if you are responding not to real hunger but to an emotion or craving. Proteins and fats will NOT set off the hormonal cascade that will plunge you into a vicious cycle of crave - indulge - binge - crave some more - etc - etc ...

Dr Atkins describes it on pp 253 to 259 of DANDR, Don't Reactivate Your Addictions, Your Metabolic Tendencies are Never Cured,and But What About My Bad Habits? Only you will know if you are truly addicted, and only you will know if giving in to cravings will set you off on a binge of sweets. For some people, the insulin-response is so sensitive, that even the sweet taste of an artificial sweetener can trigger cravings for the real thing.

Check out the article about Cravings ... just click on ]Low Carb Tips on the orange menu bar at the top. You'll find explanations for the biology behind cravings (no, it's not because you are weak-willed) ... and some ideas and solutions to help get things under control.

Hey, you quit smoking, you can do this too . ... I'm looking forward to reading all about your low-carbing success.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 04:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Well Brenda - for the first 2 weeks I made SURE that my low carb menu included all the *favourites* that I usually only allowed myself on *special occasions*.

I came from low fat dieting so a lobster dipped in as much butter as I could melt, was such a NO-NO. So I had 2 of them on induction.

Putting a lump of herbed butter on a non-lean cut of steak (I personally liked the rib steaks and wing steaks best) would have ensure a straight punishment to low-fat hell, but perfectly legal on Atkins. So I had about 4 of them on induction.

Eating chicken skin had been a thing of the past, so accustomed I was to feeding all those wonderful crunchy bits to the dogs. During induction the dogs got the chicken and I ate the skin

I hadn't eaten jello since I was a kid.

And cheesecake was NOT on my low fat diet. So made sure I always had little squares of cheesecake frozen in the freezer for a snack.

You see, there are lots of ways to *feel* positively WICKED on this woe (especially during induction) that I hardly EVER thought about sweets! By the time induction was over I'd gotten over the physical sugar craving. In fact, I used to take sugar in my coffee, went to splenda for a short while then went off it altogether. I just drink it with whipping cream now.

How can anyone consider this WOE restrictive !!?/ LOL