Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 01:57

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 316/275/196 Male 72 Inches
BF:41%
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Yeah, you are making a lot of progress towards that goal!

Thank you :-)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 08:19

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

How tall are you jschwab? That waist size seems big for 230 lbs, but if you are shorter and apple shaped, not terribly so

I'm asking bc I'm 307 lbs, but my waist is 44". I'm an apple shape too. I also have diastasis recti to that I have from two pregnancies while obese, so my tummy is poochy in the middle. That said, I'm 5'10" tall though so have lots of height to balance my weight.

Sorry LowcSpike for the threadjack was just curious on the height thing. I recently saw an advertisement showing 10 women at 160 lbs, but due to height and body shape everyone looked so different even though the weights were the same. It's very interesting to see that perspective.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 08:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Angry

I've seen that ad too, and at least half of them could throw out their BMI results. There was a large study in the UK that a much simpler to calculate indication of "good health" (an absence of diseases from NHS records) is a waist half of height, indicating the absence of visceral fat (not applicable with your medical condition though).

So you can go crazy with your curiosity , just click on anyone's name to open their profile, and see their height, many profiles with photos too. Depending on a person's question on this forum, I will check the height to be sure that their weight goals are realistic.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 11:16

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
How tall are you jschwab? That waist size seems big for 230 lbs, but if you are shorter and apple shaped, not terribly so

I'm asking bc I'm 307 lbs, but my waist is 44". I'm an apple shape too. I also have diastasis recti to that I have from two pregnancies while obese, so my tummy is poochy in the middle. That said, I'm 5'10" tall though so have lots of height to balance my weight.

Sorry LowcSpike for the threadjack was just curious on the height thing. I recently saw an advertisement showing 10 women at 160 lbs, but due to height and body shape everyone looked so different even though the weights were the same. It's very interesting to see that perspective.

I'm 5'5" and very apple. My waist has always been huge, though. I remember in HS shopping for prom gear with a friend who seemed much bigger than me. I weighed about 180 or so and had probably a 40" waist at age 17 while she was able to fit into the 30" thing we were trying on. She was a size 14 and I was an 18 or 20. But she was big in all the places it doesn't matter for certain clothes (legs, arms, butt). I have always been "bigger than my size" and have not been in regular sizes since 6th grade. Even at 140 pounds when I was 13 I was in plus sizes. At "normal" weight in HS (ca. 150) I had to shop the plus size side of the store. Most people with the same height and weight wear an 18, but I am in a 24. You can look at my profile pics. I also do not look very different at 220 pounds and 180 pounds. At 180 pounds I wear an 18W or a 20 misses. Honestly, one of my prime motivations for losing weight is to be able to just shop anywhere I want but it ain't ever going to happen for me.

Last edited by jschwab : Fri, May-29-15 at 11:27.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 14:03

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Yes, that all makes sense then. I'm just starting to fit into regular clothing myself. Jeans - I'm a 20/22 still, but today am wearing a stretchy maxi dress which is a regular XL (STOKED!!, even though I know the spandex is helping, I'LL TAKE IT!!!! lol) . Most days, I'm a 20/2x - and weigh SUBSTANTIALLY more than you. Doesn't seem like it should be right, but people literally are ALL shapes/sizes/weights.

It's tough dealing with a body shape that doesn't fit standard sizing though. My step neice is a tiny little thing, no more than 120 lbs but has natural G cup breasts. She really struggles with bras and tops, needless to say. She's considered a reduction so many times because of this.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 17:19

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Yes, I am an H cup and it does makes things more difficult, though that is less meaningful in bigger sizes. I actually think my breasts look disproportionately small given my size. But some things like swimsuits come in cup sizes. I will have took and see if there are picture of you on the gallery because now I'm curious. My profile pic is not a good indicator because it was taken when I'd run a five mile intense race in 90 degree heat so my whole body is really swollen- looking. But my gallery pictures are what I look like normally even though they were taken a long time ago. I would kill to be able to wear a size 20 in jeans. I am still in my 24's. I think the jeans in my 180 pound picture are 20's, even 20W, I think.

An XL shirt is beyond my wildest dreams. I wear 24's and 3x's now. I should post a new picture.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-15, 13:15

Stephen,

For some reason I thought of you while reading this new Success Story at AWLR. Might have something to do with her holiday splurge

Meet Heidi: http://www.awlr.org/blog/meet-heidi

Her advice: My biggest obstacle was the mentality that going paleo was a 'diet' wherein when I was finished losing my weight that I would go back to eating a Standard American Diet again. I am over that hump. Paleo is not a diet for me, but rather a complete lifestyle change. My advice to someone who is new to this is to try to embrace paleo as a lifestyle rather than a diet. Paleo teaches you how to eat foods that work with your body instead of against it. Once you feel this good, you never want to go back to feeling like garbage every day.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 06:20

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Hi Stephen! I'm delighted for you with respect to the progress you have made. Awesome! Throwing in my advice...if you feel like it, give intermittent fasting a try! At its most basic IF means skipping a meal here and there. At its more extreme end it means going for a few days without food. At first the idea of IF terrified me! I mean, I loved to eat! But then one day I just did it. Had a few stomach rumblies, but amazingly enough being a little bit hungry didn't kill me! IF is really great to do if your weight loss stalls, or if you are travelling and good food isn't available. Best wishes to you Stephen!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 07:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

Just curious....Why does the guide say that you should only eat 1 - 2oz of nuts for weight loss?

Robb Wolf of The Paleo Solution distills down Paleo even further to a Quick Start guide.
Two Pages..love it! http://robbwolf.com/wp-content/uplo..._QuickStart.pdf[/QUOTE]
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 09:40

Not sure which Paleo/LCHF guide you are referring to, because many plans warn that if you are doing Paleo for weight loss, you should limit or eliminate nuts and nut butters. All nuts are very calorie dense, not particularly filling, and have the tendency to be "morish". I could scarf a half a jar of almond butter with no problem The LC plan I was on allowed no nuts at all for all those reasons.

I like Robb Wolf's guide as well...as simple as you can get.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 11:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, I was talking about Robb Wolf's site as well. I know on Paleo, peanuts aren't allowed anyway. But I eat a few in the morning when I come in to work. The are in the shell, so I have to crack them to eat them.... So I don't eat that many.... But I love my spicy peanuts. I am trying to be LCHF, but I am still scared of too much fat. Seems I can't figure how to get fat high without getting calories high.... I do put coconut oil in my coffee now though..YUMMMMMM