Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 12:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/135/110
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question Relora Appetite suppressant & stress reliever

Has anyone tried Relora? I read about in the "What's the alternative" style section of the UK Sunday Times on 9 June 2002. It was recommended as a substitute for kava kava which has been taken off the shelves after adverse serious side effects and pending the results of full report from Germany.

Relora was recommended as an alternative for anxiety/stress/tension etc with the added advantage that it is suppresses appetite.

I'd really be interested in feedback from anyone who has taken it because it is only available by mail order in the UK and is very expensive, so I don't want to buy it unless I know it works.

I don't suffer from depression, but like everyone I do get stressed from time to time, especially pre-menstrually.

I'm currently following the Montignac plan and am not finding I am yearning for anything I shouldn't have, but if I cut down on the quantities of certain foods like cheese and nuts I am sure I would lose more weight.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 05:00

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hmmm - I'm interested in this too. I live in the UK so maybe I might be able to get it at my local heath food store. ....

You say very expensive, but how much is it to buy the smallest quantity just to try it out?

Mind you, I think I have to be careful. Is it habit forming? Is it likely to react adversely with other medication, drugs or food? I believe that finding out about these things first are far more important than the money.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 09:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default Relora

Hi Squidgy

I can't remember the exact cost but I think it was about £40 for either 30 or 60 capsules and the dosage is 3 capsules a day.

It's herbal, but I am always a bit wary about anything new whether it is herbal or not. Especially as herbal remedies are not put through the rigorous testing for normal medications by the Medicines Control Agency.

It is really new on the UK market so I thought maybe there had been some US users who could talk about its effectiveness, contra-indications, etc.

I take Evening Primrose Oil or Starflower Oil (depending on which is on special at Holland & Barrett!) and I also have taken St John's Wort in the past which I find very good. I was told that an effective dose is at least 3 of the 300mg capsules a day, but because I am not that tall or heavy I took 2. The benefits are cumulative so you need to take them for at least a month or six weeks to notice any difference.

Vitamin B complex is also excellent for stress and stopping mood swings between highs and lows. If you are not eating foods high in Vitamin B then it is probably worth taking a good multivitamin or vitamin B tablet each day because I think it is just as good as the more expensive herbal remedies.

I'm on the Montignac plan which I really like. It isn't a rapid weight loss programme, but more about changing lifetime eating habits. It is similar to Atkins but not as much reliance on meat and fat, and allows alot more fruit and vegetables. I feel great on it, really healthy and my skin, etc looks glowing, so something must be working.

Have a great weekend.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 10:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Relora Appetite suppressant & stress reliever

Quote:
Originally posted by 02BSlim
with the added advantage that it is suppresses appetite.

I don't know anything about this drug, but wanted to point out the appetite suppressants, slow down your metabolism. And when you stop using them, it may take a few months for the side effects to go away, and your metabolism to recover from them.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 13:08

Plan: Atkins & Hypnosis
Stats: 229/229/150 Female 63 inches
BF:not a clue!
Progress: 0%
Default appetite suppresant

From what I have read this is not like the typical appetite suppresant that we automatically think of, but it regulates the hormones associated with stress-related weight gain and has shown to significantly decrease Cortisol and increase DHEA in stressed individuals. Iherb will have it in stock in 3 weeks and I plan to try it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 20:05

Stats: 224/218/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Relora

I also just read an article about Relora that indicated that it reduced the production of Cortisol which is related to insulin production (I think). I looked for it in my local vitamin store, but they didn't have it yet. I think I'll check some places on line. I'll let you know what I find out.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 05:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default It would be great if it works

Thanks for the feedback.

It does sound promising so I'd really appreciate some feedback. If it works, I will try it when it is available in the UK. The mail order company here doesn't have it in stock and I think it may be some time before they do.

I'd also be interested in US prices for it.

Juliette
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 12:37

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

£40 for 10 days is way out of my price league - that's more than half my rent! £40 for 20 days might not be quite so bad - I wonder if I'm likely to save money on food to make up for it? I also wonder if it's likely to work on lower doses. Though, to be honest, I think that at that price, it's a bit of a non starter for me, never mind being worried about possible side effects. Course, if it's cheaper in the USA or on the continent and can be imported, then that might change my attitude ....
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 08:23

BF:
Default relora

I'm not sure if the message I started typing was sent so I'll begin again. I found 2 sites that sell Relora: www.swansonvitamins.com - on sale for $20 +S&H for 90 capsuls (30 day supply) and www.solanova.com - $38 for 120 (40 day supply). Both contain 250 mg of Relora.
Corrie
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 10:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default Mail order

Thanks Corrie,

I'll check those out.

I'm not sure if they will post them to the UK, but if I decide to try Relora I could get them to post them to a friend in the US and get her to send them on to me.

Can you let me know if you try them and also the results.

I've stalled on Montignac and I wonder now if I should try something like Relora or perhaps even try the induction phase of Atkins, if I can find out what it is. The Montignac plan only has two stages - Phase I to lose weight and Phase II for maintenance. I think I need a bit of kick-start as I have lost no weight for three weeks and I have been sticking to the plan.

How are you doing, weight loss and otherwise?

Have a great Sunday and week ahead.

Juliette
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 10:18

BF:
Default Relora

I bought Relora and for the first 5 days taking it I felt sick. When I started taking Paxil I felt sick for about that time, so decided to see if it would be the same for Relora and it was. I feel fine now. Because they both caused similar symptoms I wondered if they were doing the same thing. I don't think so. Paxil is to prevent seratonin reabsorbtion and relora is to reduce cortisol (?) production. Any body have any other information?
Corrie
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 05:35

Plan: None
Stats: 184/172/150
BF:too much!!
Progress: 35%
Default Relora

I just received my Relora today and have no idea if it will work but figured I would try it. I ordered my online from Swanson but found another website which is currently cheaper, i.e. http://www.arizonahealthfoods.com - on sale for $14.99 I am not sure how much the postage is.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default Good luck with Relora

I'm eagerly awaiting both of your results with Relora.

I've just looked at the site recommended by RGreene and, if I know it works, then I will order it too. At $14.99 it seems much cheaper than the other mail order companies, and seems to be the right dosage of 250mg, although I know some of the other brands have 90 caps rather than 60 caps per bottle.

How are you doing Corrie8? Do you feel Relora is making a difference?

I'm eagerly awaiting your updates.

Good luck both of you
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 12:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default Any updates?

Hi Corrie8 and RGreene

Since you have been on Relora for a few weeks now, I wondered if you had any updates. Has it made you feel any less stressed or anxious and of course has it curbed your appetite?

Any other reactions?

I'd love to know.

Juliette
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 17:46

BF:
Default Relora

O2BSLIM

I've been taking the relora for a few more weeks and haven't lost any weight (perhaps due to giving in to the ice cream we've had here for the past few months). I do feel that my appetite is reduced, but now I need to go through withdrawl from sugar (again). I'm hopeful that combined with a new exercise program, sugar abstainance, and Relora I'll start to lose some of this weight.
I also haven't been checking this site...perhaps because I haven't been maintaining a low carb food plan??!!.