Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 01:55

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Unhappy "A lesson" Learned..."don't give up"

I lost 25 lbs in a couple months doing Low Carb....I was feeling better......I even started dating....."even though it sucks" lol
I started to look better in clothes...........

I think I was actually coming out of my depression.........

I then started thinking I could eat things here and there......

"the addiction started again!!!!"

I became the person I was!!!

depending on food, the cravings, just wanting to eat everything...

The reason I am writing this?????

If I can help someone who may be starting to eat that way again....."it's not worth it" NOw I have to start over again........because I gained it all back by choosing food as my "crutch".
......................> Starting over is not fun, especially when I felt so good, now I feel bloated.......and fat.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 02:49
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi G-
you describe the slippery slope of thinking we can "eat things here and there" like other people or the way we used to. The problem is that if we eat the way we used to we will feel/look the way we used to! Good for you to realize this efore you gained even more- there are plenty of us out there who post that we regain and more. This has been a learning experience for you- and this time will be better. You now know you have to have a plan and a strategy for maintaining.
Good luck- you can do it-
E
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 23:06

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Here's to all of us out there on the merrygoround...may we finally get off and stay off... I have probably gained and lost the same 15 pounds for the past 3 years after losing 40 pounds. It is difficult and I know that it is because when I am stressed or in emotional pain, I reach for food. I am trying to change that so I reach for something else...a walk, a talk, music, anything, but food...

You are so right that we fool ourselves into thinking that just because we lost weight, we have changed. That we are no longer the people that we used to be...well wrong internally we are the same person and we have to work on changing the inside while we are changing the outside because if we don't when we get to maintenance it won't last... Don't get me wrong, I am struggling, an struggling hard. But, I realize for once that these changes have to be permanent, or at least 75% of the time... I also realize that I must weigh myself consistently when on maintenance because if I don't 10 pounds creeps up on me fast...so I would have to stay on top of that. That bothers me because I think I would obscess as I have seen others do on these boards. But, one step at a time...keep my good carbs under control...and stay away from ALL toxic sugarS....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 11:21

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default My lactose intolerance hasn't gone away

I think I have changed because I've lost weight, but what hasn't changed is most of my biochemistry. My lactose intolerance progresses whether or not I drink milk. I still get a reaction to raw tomatos after five or six in a short period of time. Splenda makes me cough.

So a lot of my life changes.

I heard once that it took a major brain injury to get someone to "forget" how to ride a bike, once they've learned how. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks EVEN a major head injury is going to change their relationship to carbohydrates, once it's been shifted to the point we've shifted it.

I give up white carbs, and a few other things. I get this incredible life. Not a bad trade. I just can't have it both ways.

I may be a bit older than you. I tell myself I have carbs 44 years, and I'm going to give LC 44 years, and when I'm 88, I'll decide which way works better. The same logic may be helpful, even if your numbers are different.