Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: AtKiNs
Stats: 210/196/150 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 23%

If mine had said that I would start making plans to leave him. Im sorry but you gained the weight through pregnancy...you didnt get pregnant on your own. Next time he points out a girl you need to look like..I would point out some hot guy..
If you were really want to piss him off..tell him his "junk"never impressed you but you made do. LOL
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 08:52

Plan: Primal/CAD
Stats: 198/185/140 Female 63inches
BF:nunya :)
Progress: 22%

I have been reading this thread and it saddens me to think you may be dealing with this, it's a long read, but if you need some books to help you with your responses to his ignorance I have some suggestions of books and responses I use when I come in contact with one:

narcissist exhibits pervasive grandiosity -- sometimes through
behavior, sometimes in fantasy. A narcissist needs to be admired and shows little or no empathy or concern for the problems, difficulties, or even the interests, of other people.

Narcissists hold (perhaps "embrace" would be a better term) an exaggerated sense of self-importance. They overrate the significance of their achievements and talents. And they expect to receive accolades for what they believe are outstanding personal attributes and accomplishments. They tend to be totally absorbed in fantasies of success, power, brilliance, beauty, and other achievements and qualities. They believe they are special; as a result, they believe they can only be understood and appreciated by people who are -- or organizations that are -- also special.

Consequently, narcissists have unreasonable expectations of people and situations. They feel they are entitled to favorable treatment and unquestioning compliance with their hopes and expectations. Other people are supposed to acquiesce to their wishes.

Further, they exploit friends, acquaintances, and associates, taking advantage of others to secure their own desires. They tend to be haughty and arrogant, convinced that others are, or should be, envious of them.

While every narcissist does not display each and every one of these characteristics, every narcissist exhibits enough of them to be difficult to deal with.

Despite the difficulties, from time to time we all find ourselves having to interact with a person who is afflicted with narcissism. It may be a member of the family, a neighbor, someone with whom we work, or someone we dearly love. In cases where we must deal with them, it is a good idea to understand how best to do so

If you identify with any of these talk to your therapist as well about how to deal with this type of behaviour and the possibility that your husband may be a narcissist. just IMHO from what I have read. Happy day to you - you are beautiful no matter what, it's YOU that's makes you that way.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Beat of my own drum
Stats: 231/225.6/200 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

These ladies have already taken the words out of my mouth. I could feel my blood pressure rising as I read your posts. His behavior is absolutely apalling and shameful. You've worked so hard and deserve to be loved for who you are and all you do.

Your accomplishments thus far are impressive! And your dedication ..to EVERYTHING...including him is amazing.

I hope it all works out for you! Best wishes.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/190/165 Male 5'-10"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default You're really cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaec
Oh, trust me. I know he's wrong. Although I know he's wrong, it doesn't make it hurt any less. It's like as I've lost weight he's gotten MORE critical of how I look. Like I'm not losing weight fast enough. He hasn't been supportive at all. When I tell him how much weight I've lost, he's just like "Yeah, that's great" kind of sarcastically or completely ignores it.

I'm not losing the weight for him at all. I'd be happy back at my lowest weight of 166. I wasn't perfect, but I thought I looked really good there and I was happy. But when I told him I was thinking about stopping around that weight, he just looked like I was crazy because... I guess how he put it... when I was that weight, my lower half of my body still really needed work. (I carry most of my weight from the hips down.)

It just makes it ten times harder to keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for me--not him. I'm not sure if I can keep on when he gets so much more critical with every pound I lose.

Seems to me that he's actually quite intimidated by your weight loss. The fear is probably that you'll realize how attractive you really are and leave him. Even though that might never cross your mind it might his. I hope that you've gotten this all straightened out and it's old news.