Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 00:28

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

ooooo I tried Wellbutrin and was so irritable. Think maybe it was the withdrawl from paxil. I am not looking forward to going off that at all but they think that when the lamictal kicks in I will go off of the Paxil. I wish My appointment was this Fri instead of a week away. I am having such an emotional rollar coaster week and Have no one to talk to about it..dh is still denying that I have a problem...keeps making excuses like...maybe it is just stress or maybe if you exercise more yada yada yada...I love him but wish he would beleive me when I tell him I can't control this rollar coaster as I am not in control of it...right now it controls me!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 09:00

Plan: Low Carb WOE
Stats: 156/135/135 Female 66 inches
BF:28/17%/19%
Progress: 100%

Yes, our beloved spouses don't always "get it." I'm actually pretty fortunate there. DH seems to understand and has been pretty patient with me and my mood swings. Although, he has been known to suggest I exercise more, too!

Yah! When I feel like wringing your neck, that's always a good idea;suggest I exercise again!!!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 19:47

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

Quote:
dh is still denying that I have a problem...keeps making excuses like...maybe it is just stress or maybe if you exercise more yada yada yada...I love him but wish he would beleive me when I tell him I can't control this rollar coaster as I am not in control of it...right now it controls me!

Luckily my husband much prefers me medicated- I understand why too! The people who don't accept it can't understand. I'm sure he's just trying to make you feel better and worry less. But, the only one who has to think it's a problem is you- and a doctor. Have you thought of counseling? I believe that does as much for me as the meds do. It's always good to have someone who's educated on the subject & understands it to talk to.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 06:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I think my husband kind of missed the all night projects I'd dragged him into over the 25+ years before I had medication.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 19:56

lol Frogbreath!!! Yeah my house is starting to show the wear of my down side this week. I started working more with the school schedule and it is hard to keep up with it. I finally cleaned my room after sleeping most of today away. Now I am worried that I won't be able to sleep.

Danabear I haven't had any yet so to speak...years ago a wonderful friend of mine had me in her program and we did group plus individual sessions. It was the hardest yet best thing I ever did. I actually enjoyed it and learned so very much. I haven't had help for my condition yet other than trying meds. I see the dr. again this Friday. I hope to ask better questions and get a clearer understanding of everything. I am so glad you are writing on this thread. I can really use the support and company right now. THANK YOU!!!
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 23:47

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogbreath
I think my husband kind of missed the all night projects I'd dragged him into over the 25+ years before I had medication.

Rofl!!!!!!!!!! That's great, Frogbreath!!

I am married to a guy who is bed at the latest by 12:30...and that is when he is living dangerously. I tried dragging him, but he was pooped out by 9:30.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 11:36

When I first got on Paxil for serious pms (PMDD) my husband said it was the best 30.00 we spent ever month lol!!!

Unfortunately my energy is usually down not up...but the last few weeks it was so unpredictable and crazy that I decided something was wrong and therefore went to the Dr.

I have a question...Do you find lc gives you more energy? Someone said that it made them more manic and they had to watch that. Also what is the Berstein plan?

Thanks
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I find low-carb gives me stable blood sugar so overall I have more energy because I don't get the lulls I used to that had me reaching for sugar.

Bernstein is a low-carb plan for people with diabetes.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 20:59

I got the news today...they did diagnose me with bipolar 11. I have a pretty good day. Not overly hyper until I talked to my dh. I hadn't seen him all day and had alot to tell him!!!

Hope you all are doing well!
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 145/145/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

When I came off of the Paxil I was very irritable. Then I too, went on Wellbutrin as well. The Wellbutrin has worked really well for me since. Due to stress, I still have mood swings from time to time because I have Bipolar II with rapid cycling (yuck) but it is very managable.

When I eat LC I feel a lot better mood wise and energy wise. All around my general health is much better, mostly the moods. Less mood swings. The sad thing is I have had a rough time sticking to the LC plan and have yo-yoed again. My own fault. No one else to blame. And oh have I suffered.

Latte
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

That's great that the Wellbutrin works for you. It's a non-weight gainer med which is whyI tried it. It didn't do much for me though, so I went back to the SSRIs. I'm currently on celexa and have trouble losing weight, but my depression is under control and I feel pretty good. Just a tiny white pill every morning.

I wish low-carb could cure me, but the Wellbutrin experiment was while I was low-carbing and my depression definetly got worse. I switched to Celexa and I felt like myself again. Unfortunetly it looks like I will need medication for life.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 06:37
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 145/145/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

That is great to hear the Celexa is working for you. Every person is effected differently by each and every medication that is out there. I am a twin and the meds even effect us differently. My twin can take SSRI's where they make me manic.

I was put on Abilify two years ago, and it is considered a weight neutral medication. However, I am one of the few people who have gained weight on the medication. I have gained about 20 pounds on it, along with menopause problems. So, it is quite frustrating. And, it is very difficult to lose due to both issues. The LC is about the only thing that is helping only I have failed to stick with the LC consistently due to vacations and family camping trips.

My pdoc told me that I would be a lifer with the meds. So, I too, can relate to what that is like. If it helps though, that is what is important.

Got to run. School time.

Take care

Latte
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-06, 14:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 227/223/185 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi, I am Bi-Polar also. Have been depressed since I was 14. I took Prozac for abt 12 yrs and gained almost 60 lbs! It worked for me though. Then it stopped working. I went thru a bunch of different meds until I came to where I am today. I take Celexa and Wellbutrin. I cannot take Wellbutrin by itself, it makes me VERY agressive and angry; but taken with another antidepressant, I'm fine. What has really helped me, is about a month ago my MD put me on Nuerontin as a mood stabilizer until I can get in to see a psych and get "officially" diagnosed.. I haven't had one bad day in a whole month! It's great!
How long have you been on your meds? Is one of them a mood stabilizer? If they are not working for you, you need to see your Dr again and let them know that it's not working.

Carrie
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 01:03

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Really in a bad down phase...bipolar five years diagnosed..depressive all my life... I'm struggling right now and nothing seems to work. I feel alone most of the time and misunderstood, paranoid, unable to get it together and find myself for long... If I have a good day I have to take it as it comes...they are so few... Nothing in my life has ever been as difficult as this illness...