Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/164/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 71%
Unhappy Oh God, help me!!!

I've lost 60 pounds and for some reason have stopped losing. I have been on a plateau for about 4 or 5 weeks. I was eating more when I first started than I am now!!! I was losing 2-4 pounds a week, now nothing.... I have been reading about the "refeeding" and was wondering if I need to eat more than I have been? I have just started exercising -- I read that is one thing that breaks through a plateau also. Any advice is appreciated. I have a very special trip coming up in September and have to have to have to lose more weight!!!! Help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:18

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quite honestly, I think you should relax and wait.
You have done magnificently but a person should expect that the last part of the losing will be slow.
If this is the first period of time that you haven't lost for a while, then you are one LUCKY dieter. I know it doesn't help you to hear that many other people have to struggle to lose every pound and envy your accomplishment, but it is true.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way that we can force our bodies to lose faster or by any specific time. Keep up the exercise and your size and shape will change even if the scale stays still.

If you are going to see people who haven't seen you lately, then the change of 59 pounds gone will be stunning!

Patience and persistence, progress not perfection.

Last edited by tofi : Tue, Aug-12-03 at 20:20.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwannab
I have just started exercising -- I read that is one thing that breaks through a plateau also. Any advice is appreciated.
At the risk of repeating myself, I'll say it again. You've done exceptionally well, Slim!

The inclusion of exercise into your WOL is a great addition - and I would be shocked it if didn't yeild results. They may not show up on the scale, though. Are you taking measurements? They are often a better way of gauging success than the evil scale.

Refeeding is something that gets discussed a lot around here - but most do not do it propperly. I would not recommend it for a few reasons. First and foremost being you've already been on your plateau for 5 weeks and you've added in exercise. This alone should help.

As for increasing calories - how many are you eating regularly? How much protein? If you're too low then yes, increasing slightly and slowly might be a good idea - but if you're eating enough and you're just 'stalled' because your body needs a time out from losing nothing you do is going to make a big difference.

I'd keep up the exercise and monitor my measurements. And be kinder to myself if I were you - you've done a great job so far.

-Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:36

Stats: 223/164/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess I'm just impatient. I'll chill for a while.