Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-01, 11:51

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question

Hi all, I am on the Atkins and am wondering if we are losing weight only when the stick is reading burgundy, and do we halt if not drinking enough water?? Also should we be considering the amount of calories we consume daily is there a limit? and yes I did read the book about 5 times.. I guess it just won't sink in

Also has anyone heard of Calvin Ezrin plan?? He has created a variation of the low carb plan that allows 30-40 g of carbs and claims that it will increase our seratonin level. He claims we can lose 12 lb's the 1st 2 weeks and 2 lb's the following weeks ... Just curious!!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-01, 15:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Sadai
Hi all, I am on the Atkins and am wondering if we are losing weight only when the stick is reading burgundy, and do we halt if not drinking enough water?? Also should we be considering the amount of calories we consume daily is there a limit? and yes I did read the book about 5 times.. I guess it just won't sink in

I think the colour of the stick depends on each person's body and mechanism. As a big guy, I go streight to dark whithin 48 hours, while some take a week to reach light pink. YMMV

Drinking water has two camps, some say it's a must, some say it's no big deal. I've lost a lot of weight while drinking only when thirsty. YMMV

Calories: It's VERY important to eat enough calories to avoid metabolic slow-down due to under eating. Find out your minimum caloric requirement (their are a few formulas to calculate it) and make sure you don't go below it.

Quote:
Also has anyone heard of Calvin Ezrin plan?? He has created a variation of the low carb plan that allows 30-40 g of carbs and claims that it will increase our seratonin level. He claims we can lose 12 lb's the 1st 2 weeks and 2 lb's the following weeks ... Just curious!!
[/B]

Sounds very commercial to promis such a thing to dieters. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-01, 15:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile weight loss stalls

hi Sandi,

Some folks test dark for ketones yet the scales won't budge, others test barely trace, and the lbs are falling off. Some of the plans are not ketogenic at all, like Protein Power or Carbo. Addicts, and people lose weight just fine. There's a lot of testimonial evidence that bumping up the carb-free, calorie-free fluid intake will boost your efforts by helping to flush out ketones and other wastes of fat-burning; water of course topping the list of choices. Check out my Tips page on Stalls & Plateaus http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html You might find a few more ideas.

Unfortunately for some of us (me too) yes, calories do count to a point. I still have to keep my total calories below 1500-1600 per day, but when I was following a lowfat, high-carb regimen previously I gained weight eating only 1200 calories per day. So, lowcarbing is definitely the way to go. Easiest thing to do is cut back on fat, especially animal fats. Choose extra lean red meats, pull the skin off poultry, and use water-pack tuna and sardines. You can buy pure eggwhites in cartons, no additives - they are 100% fat-free. I make omelets and scrambled eggs using one whole egg, and equivalent to two egg whites. Use low fat cheeses, and maybe cut out or cut back the cream in your coffee, if you have that. Don't go totally lowfat though; use good unsaturated vegetable oils, like olive, canola and flax. Have some nuts as a snack instead of cheese or cold lunch meats.

Haven't heard of this Calvin Ezrin fellow. I must look this up. Sounds like he's just trying to cash in on the lowcarb wave. The best, cheapest, carb-free ways to boost serotonin and other important neurohormones are - sunshine, and exercise. Plain and simple.

Take care,
Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-01, 15:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking

hey Wa'il,

Great minds think alike!!