Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 09:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default I made my own mayo!

All you need is a mason jar, a stick blender, the right oils, an egg, and lemon juice.

How to do paleo mayo

I had always been scared of giving it a try; I don't have a food processor, I don't have the guns for endless whisking, and the whole "tiny stream of oil" thing wouldn't fly with my coordination. But this method solves all of that.

It worked my very first time! But I would suggest NOT using sesame oil. (First attempt was almost 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, almost 1/4 cup hemp oil, and the rest of the cup was toasted sesame.) My husband pointed out that Chinese cooking uses only a few spoonfuls. My first attempt had considerably more than that

My second attempt was a disaster. I had subbed olive oil for the sesame oil, and maybe I didn't check my meniscus like I should have. I've made thicker cream soups. But I added another egg, another yolk, and more lemon juice, and it thickened right up. Fortunately, we can fix mayonnaise.

I use 1/4 cup hemp oil, so all my mayo is green even before I add the fresh dill. Which I do, because I'm doing Epi-Paleo, and all that seafood needs mayo more often than not.

So if anyone has been hanging back, don't. You don't have to eat canola oil anymore!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 11:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Wow, I might give this a shot.

I wonder if it would work as a smaller batch with just an egg yolk and 1/2 cup of oil.

Does hemp oil have any flavour? I'd be leery of using extra light olive oil just because... well, isn't it just highly refined olive oil? May as well just buy Hellman's if you're going to use a highly-refined oil.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 11:39

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I would like to make my own but I haven't figured out what oil to use that will fit my budget and still be healthy and taste good.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 12:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I wonder if it would work as a smaller batch with just an egg yolk and 1/2 cup of oil.

Probably. It keeps for about a week, the article said.

Quote:
Does hemp oil have any flavour?

It has a kind of grassy flavor, which I like. When I use hemp oil in salads, I lick the bowl. YMMV.

Quote:
I'd be leery of using extra light olive oil just because... well, isn't it just highly refined olive oil? May as well just buy Hellman's if you're going to use a highly-refined oil.

It's about the Omega ratios as much as the refinement. The beauty of it is you can use any oil you wish, even stuff like coconut oil and bacon fat. Though these more solid fats will stiffen the mayo, more.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 23:53

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Wow, I might give this a shot.

Does hemp oil have any flavour? I'd be leery of using extra light olive oil just because... well, isn't it just highly refined olive oil? May as well just buy Hellman's if you're going to use a highly-refined oil.

Be aware that the mayonnaise emulsion thickens as you add the oil. So the more oil you add (within reason) the thicker it will become (a common complaint of homemade mayo that I have heard is that it is too thin, probably, IMO, because misguided mayo makers are trying to cut back on the oil). I usually use a cup of oil to one large egg yolk, and often think that the emulsion would tolerate even more oil if I were to add it.
I use extra virgin olive oil, with some avocado oil if I have it. The mayo tastes strongly of olive oil, but I happen to like that.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-14, 03:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks, WearBear, will have to try this method. They are the exact same ingredients I use, but I have found the food processor easiest so far (though more dishes for sure). Would love not to haul that out. Sometimes the lemon is white balsamic vinegar, and I usually do add a half teaspoon of Dijon mustard for some zip, but I love this recipe for using the whole egg and not having to separate yolks and throw out the rest. Easy peasy.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 22:24

Plan: HFLC/NK
Stats: 200/130/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 93%

Funny I made my first homemade mayo today too, also using the 'dump it all in a mason jar and blitz the heck out of it with stick blender' method. So easy - start to finish in a couple minutes.

I used all MCT oil (in addition to the egg yolk and vinegar/lemon juice) and loved the flavor and texture - tasted way better than regular mayo. Highly recommend!

Ps: a half a cup batch worked very well for me

Last edited by Bonbon41 : Wed, Aug-20-14 at 22:31.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 08:48

Woo-Hoo! This was a great tip, WearBear. No more dragging out the food processor, and worse, cleaning all it's clunky parts. Note there is none of that "dribbling in the oil slowly" fancy technique stuff either. Everything in a jar at once, 1 whole egg, no separating, whizz it up and it's done.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 14:01

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey WereBear, a question?

If you use coconut oil in the home-made mayo and you put it in the fridge, does the coconut oil solidify? Does your mayo get 'chunky' from that?

I made a tomato/mozzarella/onion salad one day, used coconut oil that was liquid because it was mid summer and hot, and I thought I was so clever, but after I took it out of the fridge the next day to eat it, my coconut oil had hardened, and there was no way to melt it down--I couldn't put that salad in the microwave, haha, so i just had to chew it down, I love coconut oil, but NOT like that! Hahah!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 16:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
If you use coconut oil in the home-made mayo and you put it in the fridge, does the coconut oil solidify? Does your mayo get 'chunky' from that?

I use a 1/4 cup (per cup of total oil) and it doesn't seem to be a problem at all.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 16:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

WereBear -

I've been looking at stick blenders on-line & noticed a lot of variation in both quality & price. And high price doesn't always mean high quality! So what brand do you have & what is your opinion of it?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 06:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
WereBear -

I've been looking at stick blenders on-line & noticed a lot of variation in both quality & price. And high price doesn't always mean high quality! So what brand do you have & what is your opinion of it?

Mine is a Cuisinart Smart Stick. It had a stainless steel shaft and good Amazon reviews. I'm very pleased by its sturdiness so far. It's easy to take apart for cleaning, too.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 06:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Very cool about the homemade mayo.

My mother was French, my dad an American, we always made our own. Didn't have my first "jar" mayo until I got married and I went back to making my own.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Mine is a Cuisinart Smart Stick. It had a stainless steel shaft and good Amazon reviews. I'm very pleased by its sturdiness so far. It's easy to take apart for cleaning, too.

Have the exact same one! Knew we had good taste
When I finally decided to get one, compared Amazon, BBB with coupon, and the southern version of a Macy's, which with various sales, coupons, card customer discounts, etc (desperate to bring back business to the malls ) surprisingly was the best price.
Love how easy it is to clean!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 06:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Have the exact same one! Knew we had good taste

Cuisinart, and Hamilton Beach, are my two favorite brands right now. I love the Target designs, but their hand mixer started breaking down after a dozen uses. And I'm only talking about whipping egg whites, for heaven's sake, it's not like I'm powering through cookie dough.

In these days of cheap and cute instead of sturdy and reliable, I love the online review sections to get the real story on what I'm planning to buy. You still have to be cautious, and there's always a clueless person going "I don't like the color at all, so it's only one star!" but by getting a sense of the site and the people on it, I've been guided to good hardware so far.