Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156.5/147.7/132 Female 171
BF:35%/32.8%/??
Progress: 36%
Default It was imminent

So today, it happened.

I 'fell off the wagon' as folks say. Had two triangles of Toblerone (400g bar), and half a fruit bun, and a marzipan chocolate.

A combo of stress, poor sleep, tiredness and routine being completely messed up probably had me feeling sorry for myself. I didn't feel guilty having any of it because I wasn't craving them. It was a moment of, 'who cares!, I'm going to make myself feel better this way' (knowing fully well that that was definitely all in my head, but sometimes, you just have to get it over with).

But, to make up (even a little) for it, I went put for a brisk walk (can't risk running much due to arthritis). Felt so much better and wished I'd just done that before instead of later.

Oh well. Back to getting body in Keto again.

Anyone know what/how long the usual setback is?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 13:31

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Depends how strict you are with yourself. I can do it in 48 hours with plenty of fat, only a small amount of protein, and no carbs whatsoever except those from green leafy veg. Good job climbing back up onto the wagon!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 13:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

It DOES happen, so as long as you get RIGHT back on the horse, you'll be okay. Here's what to expect - your weight is going to spike, perhaps alarmingly. MOST of that will be water, because as soon as you've switched back to running on glucose, your body hangs onto water. That water will drop again once you are back in ketosis. If you go back to induction level carbs and very clean eating, I'd guess about 4-5 days (that's how long it takes me, anyway - I'm sure everyone is different). Expect cravings again, and this is the biggest problem with cheating - going through the sort of "withdrawal" symptoms and being hungry and having cravings makes it difficult for some people to recommit. So I'd give standard advice - eat plenty (of low carb stuff) so you are less uncomfortable. Avoid tempting situations. Be patient because a cheat can cause a stall that lasts a while - if you do stall, remember that you might go a few weeks without a loss and then have a "whoosh" where you lose several pounds at once. Good luck! :-)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 14:11

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Great advice above. I would say don't even think about how long it takes to get back to ketosis - you have little control over that, it's going to vary from person to person and, really, your metabolism decides. However, you are in full control re: minimizing its impact. Make that next meal satisfying (do not go hungry thinking you will make up for your indulgences, that only serves to reinforce the cravings and hunger that might kick up from eating carbs). And continue to eat on plan, day after day.

Very very few people lose the weight by eating "perfectly" for X days or X weeks or X years. For most of us, there will be temporary lapses. Those who are successful long term, for the most part, are those who can pick up after a lapse and return full bore to Low Carb eating with the next meal. You can now choose to join those ranks. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 19:29

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

So few who cheat thinks afterwards "it was purely because i wanted to eat x thing and no other reason contributed to it". (Because let's face it, it's not all about food, atkins can't fix all our problems) After i made that connection, the cheats happened less and less.

You cited;
Stress
Poor sleep
Tiredness, and
Routine change

It's just like when people make their intro. So few say "im overweight but theres nothing else in my life circumstances except my eating pattern that contributed to it". No, they cite a whole slew of reasons. I think that's why so many rebound. Losing the weight doesn't solve any of the other issues unless you also work on those other issues.

Next time, try to find another way you can soothe yourself, besides the x thing you want to eat. It's not a perfect system, i fight cheats, too, all the time. You deserve to take care of yourself.

Good job on the walk.