Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 06:26

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Lost ctrl yest-- how do i pick myself up today?

Oh boy. Can I blame this all on mother nature gang? I am 45 and am suffering through one very painful menstrual cycle (sorry, guys!). But my dr. took me off The Pill and now at this age I'm having terrible times, painful like when I was a teen!

SO I woke up yest after hardly any sleep, miserable. Around lunchtime I made chicken and broccoli stir fry. But I remembered my husband opened a new bag of Lay's Baked potato chips my mom gave him. I couldn't resist them, my first downfall in months. I ate about 10-15. My God, they were so salty and good! That salt!

I ate my stir fry. And THEN: All hell broke loose! I subscribed to Netflix (and we only have free over the air TV, maybe 5 channels, which I NEVER watch)>>> I was so happy to have some MOVIES and could finally watch The Walking Dead that everyone was talking about. Ha, now that the series is over, right?!! Haha

SO I made myself some popcorn. About 3.5 ounces I guess. WITH butter.

THEN I made oven baked chocolate chip cookies, big ones, of which I had about 5 or 6.

I also had about 4 bites of Butterfinger ice cream, with a fork. I was out of control.

Got into bed to watch more movies, and decided to make myself (GASP) a REAL sandwich! The bread was even a little sour, so in desperation, I put it in the toaster. Slathered on mayo, a slice of American, and some turkey I'd just opened. (I was saving it for something else, dammit!) Total loss of control. I tossed down more chips on to my plate too. Back in bed, ate half of sandwich and about 4 chips before I got really disgusted with myself. I opened the back door and tossed everything out to my cats.

HOW do I pick myself up today? It's a new day and I'm going to need your support I think! I feel so ashamed. Thankfully the scale didn't move up or down on my today.

I figure I'd drink my coffee and then start chugging the water. Finish the rest of the chicken and broccoli stir fry. It's raining here today, and I plan to sit here online and read read read about LCing as a way of LIFE.

I feel so ashamed and disgusted with myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 06:53

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

First don't feel ashamed and disgusted with yourself. That's self defeating.

This pattern is why even one cheat can be so dangerous. One cheat leads to what I call the cascade effect resulting from the insulin roller coaster. It is both physical and psychological. Everyone's done it, more than once. You are not alone.

Now, the fix, eat plenty of fat and protein today, maybe more than usual. Make sure you never get even the slightest hungry today. Drink plenty of water to begin the flushing process. Note that the scale will probably go up tomorrow and the next day to reflect the off day. It's just water. Hang tight and it will come off. It may take days or a week or more.

The important thing is to go all in on getting back on track. Do not have even the smallest cheat. Do not let the negative feelings become an excuse to continue the fall today or tomorrow. Yesterday is past. Today is your best opportunity to restore the happy, healthy place you want to be. You may not feel great today but, you can do the right things to regain that feeling. Do it. One day is not the rest of your life unless you let it be. I like to say "All is not lost or gained in a day." You can do this, if you want it enough.

Have a great day, it's there for the taking.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

The Walking Dead series is not over so you will get many more episodes in the future to watch on Netflix.

I would recommend coming up with a plan of treats that are on plan that may satisfy your desire for certain things. I hear that crisped pepperoni give a satisfying crunch.

Don't beat yourself up, it doesn't help anything at all. Jone's other advice is perfect.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 07:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, WD is not over. Just for this season. I just started reading 2 huge compendiums of the comics. Spooky bedtime reading!

What lessons did you learn? Perhaps you know now that one slip gives you permission to escalate. That happens to me too. Far, far easier to never make that first slip than to stop the escalation.

Perhaps you learned that you should plan for times when you're sorely tempted. What could you have on hand that could satisfy you? Bacon? 85% chocolate? A LC dessert tucked away in the fridge?

Third lesson: Control your environment. If you can, get the husband to stop bringing things into your environment that tempt you.

Learning lessons redeems the failure. Otherwise you're doomed to repeat it over and over.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Apr-15-14 at 12:13.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 11:52

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Learning lessons redeems the failure. Otherwise you're doomed to repeat it over and over.

#6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 12:43

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Control your environment...Learning lessons redeems the failure. Otherwise you're doomed to repeat it over and over. Good luck!

Maybe we can blame it on the eclipse? I also had a food problem yesterday. It was my own fault because I was the one who caved a week or so ago & bought Atkins M&M type candy when it was on sale. And I really do know better. I can't eat just one! But yesterday I had one, then another, until all 5 bags were gone.

I was SO sick. The sugar alcohols really affect me - stomach pain, gut cramps, diarrhea. I wrote it all down in my food diary so I won't forget (I remember better if I write things down). If I'm tempted again, I just have to flip back and read what I went thru.

I'd be better off eating sugar - at least then I can take glipizide to help lower my BG. Since the sugar alcohols spike my BG anyway, I still had to take the glipizide, along with the anti-diarrheal pills.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 12:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Uh... 5 bags of candies with sugar alcohol would affect ANYONE!

Quote:
I'd be better off eating sugar - at least then I can take glipizide to help lower my BG.

No. You might feel better, but you wouldn't be better off. Sugar does all kinds of damage. Just because you can't feel the damage it is doing doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I think that's the biggest mistakes diabetics make. "Oh, I'll just take my pills and then I can do what I want."

The sugar will spike your BG 2x what the sugar alcohol does (the ones they use in those candies).
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 13:46

BF:

Thank you, EVERYONE! I really needed your support. I am making it through the day fine so far. SO FAR. It isn't over yet, haha!

I had some chicken/broccoli stir fry for breakfast, then I made a huge pot of LC Spanish-rice cauliflower stuff. No rice, just cauli haha. Ground beef, a small can of tomato sauce, spices, some green peppers. First time making it, pretty good!

Thank you thank you my friends, for helping me out!! I know I can do this, I can get through today. No cravings so far, eating my Spanish rice dish right now. Thank you for your much needed support and advice.

Chugging the water too!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 13:47

BF:

OH, and thank you to the moderator that moved my post to this 'confession booth'---I didn't even know it existed~!!! Now I know where to come IF this should happen again, and I know it will some day. But I feel better prepared now and not so alone. :-)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 14:09

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

A little late to the party but, as you say, the day isn't over yet - and if you're like me the night time is the most tempting. The only way I've found to pull back is to not eat ANYTHING even REMOTELY carby. Once out-of-control has started, even a hint of sugar or starch will keep me nibbling on crap for days and days. I'm talking about even natural sugar like in a grape (!) let alone one M&M. I'm very severe with myself, but it's well worth it to feel great again in just 36-48 hours.

Congratulations on pulling back today. You're very very smart to chug down that water! Good job.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 20:35

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
I think that's the biggest mistakes diabetics make. "Oh, I'll just take my pills and then I can do what I want."

The sugar will spike your BG 2x what the sugar alcohol does (the ones they use in those candies).

Yeah - that was just frustration talking - I know better.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 23:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
HOW do I pick myself up today?

I'm a little late on this post also, but just want to add that you've done a great job on your weight loss so far going from 243 to 196 pounds. So give yourself some credit for obviously staying on plan for months. As well, drinking all the water and eating your stir-fry is awesome.

We all have slip ups. Sounds like you're struggling with hormonal stuff and loss of sleep which can cause cravings. Be as good to yourself as possible with a nice hot bath, early to bed and eating lots of good protein, fat and veggies. It will all be better in no time.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 06:04

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

One thing Dr's especially male Doc's forget is what effect hormone pills have on people. We control a girls hormones from the age of 14 right through to 45 with maybe a small gap for kids (which is hardly a stable time). Then they are stopped right off, with little explanation of what might happen.

Although you fell off the path it was not without something giving you the initial push. Take heart in that.

For the future, well life push's us around from time to time, and thinking of ways to cope with this is important.

You've picked yourself up, dusted off now move forward :-).
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 09:56

BF:

I sure did! And it wasn't hard either. It felt like my bad choices in food didn't affect my physically, but more mentally. I was SO disappointed in myself, and felt so much regret! I didn't cave in that night though--I didn't have any uncontrollable cravings and I didn't eat anything else, and the next day, it felt like nothing happened....but the remorse was still with me. I got right back on track! But I have learned that there is ONE thing that will make me lost ALL self control, ALL rational thinking, every ounce of discipline: alcohol! I absolutely cannot get even a tiny bit buzzed without saying awww eff it, let's enjoy life and eat anything/everything!! Hahahaha!

I had 2 vodka drinks the other night--vodka with sf lemonade. I know, blech!! Hahah. But at least I kept is SF! Then, I was out of vodka after those 2 drinks (I was at my mom's house). Earlier that day, I had purchased 3 SF marshmallow Eater eggs by Russel Stover. They were supposed to last me until today, haha, but those 2 drinks made me eat the last 2 of those eggs, as I sat in bed reading.... well, all I can say is, at least they were SF......... no more drinking for me, I can handle the buzz, I can handle any hangover, but it makes me lose all self control in the kitchen...........

I'm doing great! Not even going to blow it today on Easter dinner. I don't even celebrate Easter, unless its the part about chocolate rabbits, haha. So no easter dinner at my house! It's just another day here for us....... Everyone else who observes easter in a christian manner, enjoy your holiday !
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 11:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Maybe we can blame it on the eclipse?

Actually the astrology is intense now, we're approaching another eclipse (new moon) on 4/29. Plus google "cardinal grand cross" -- or maybe better not! because there are a lot of astrology blogs talking about it in dire terms. It probably doesn't affect most people directly but things do seem stirred up and hard to resolve easily at least in my life. But it's also a powerful time of transformation. One of the things astrologers suggest about eclipse times is that it's great for kicking old habits that don't work for you anymore.

I came here today because so stressed (especially physically with some changes going on) that I was idly fantasizing about eating some of the things I used to "enjoy" as comfort foods.

But the thing I always remind myself of is -- it will HURT, it will weaken me and make me feel bad for days afterwards, and there is no real comfort there at all. There's always some kind of inflammation response to the carbage, not to mention weight gain, bloat, and back pain.

I think we heal up and become more fine-tuned working on this LC plan and we just don't tolerate the crap the way we used to. So you can't go back to when those things "worked" to make you feel better.

The suggestions above are great, especially about having some quality (preferably high-fat) LC foods ready when you feel you need them, whatever you like best: chicken wings/legs, cheese cubes, salami, etc.

And I've learned to really watch out for "tiredness." When you get run down you need to address that with rest and taking some time out because it's hard to fight otherwise.