Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default my best anti-staller

the fastest time i ever lost weight was when i was eating only once per day, id have a big juicy steak (fried in lard and cooked rare) in the evening about 5-6pm with some butter melted on it, some fried mushrooms and a cup of black coffee.

during the rest of the day id consume nothing except water. yes its rather bad nutritional wise but shouldnt be a problem if you take a high quality multivitamin, calcium, and magnesium supplement.

i did it for 5 days and was loosing about 0.75lbs per day. ofcourse when i stopped and went back to eating 2-3 meals a day (still low carb) my weight loss stalled.

some weeks later i picked up the steak regime again and consistently lost almost 1lbs per day for 3 days.

its hard to do because you will get hunger pangs eating only once per day but i strongly believe a good IF regime like fast to 5 with a low-carb diet is the ultimate way to loose body fat.

version of IF i did was more extreme than fast to 5, eating only once per day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:53

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

sounds familiar although I just eat the big meal once a day and lose like crazy. Lots of IFers doing this. Good for you for your 'find'
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:07
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
yes its rather bad nutritional wise

Not so fast there! It appears the "eat frequent small meals" advice may be another myth with no scientific basis in fact, just like 'the govt. food pyramid is healthy' and 'low carbing will destroy your kidneys'....
In this article by Dr Michael Eades, he explains the many health benefits of intermittent fasting, of which your "one meal a day" plan would be a variation of:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=278

And in the following article, Ori Hofmekler, Author & Creator of The Warrior Diet, has info why eating one meal in the evening burns fat faster and improves health markers faster than eating all day:
http://www.warriordiet.com/faq

Still, I'm sure it's not for everyone. But I've been doing it for about 11 days now, I'm diabetic, and I've noticed much better blood sugar control all day long!

There's an Intermittent Fasting Buddy Group here if you'd like to join us. Look in the Challenges folder.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
Good for you for your 'find'

hey cut the sarcasm , the point i was trying to mostly make is of 'what' i was eating, not the IF part of it. a steak is high in saturated fat, and my theory is something like since your body stores fat as saturated, if you eat alot of it your body can recognize that and release since theres alot of if it in this meal it will more readily let go of the bodies stores.

im not totally sure though but i think i saw some studies floating around out there that showed something like the type of fat you eat didnt really contribute to different weight lost speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
In this article by Dr Michael Eades, he explains the many health benefits of intermittent fasting,

yeh im a big fan of Dr Eades and that blog is actually what got me started on the IF.

Quote:
Still, I'm sure it's not for everyone.

indeed!, it is only for thos with strong minds and willpower to resist the hunger pangs
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:47
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I like food too much to ever fast! I would feel like it was something like punishment!! That would lead to depression in my case. I need to fuel my system with small amounts of food frequently and that keeps the fires stoked and my metabolism raring.
As soon as I stop eating I stop losing.
I use to joke that I was the only person in my family who could be ill and gain weight! But it was true!

I wish you the best of luck with your fasting, I know a friend here on the board who is doing it, and I admire you guys for having the balls to carry it through!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 19:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/308/200 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

my trainer wants me to do two meal replacements and one meal a day. hmm. wonder if i get faster results. i'm going to try it with my low-carb slim fast shakes then convert to the protein powder drinks he wants me to take. they have the same amount of sugar and carbs as the slim fast shakes.

i just hope i like the taste.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 19:09

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindke
hey cut the sarcasm

Uh, no sarcasm meant at all. Ouch.

I eat pretty much the same on weekends.