Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/169.5/155 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default M & E program......I'm confused. Please help!

I have been reading a lot lately about the M & E program. I've ready that you can lose rapidly like Kimmer. I am quite interested in doing this program, but I don't want to risk my health, or my life for that matter. In some of the threads that have been posted, people have been on the program for weeks. I thought that cutting out all your carbs for more than a week or so was very bad. Is it safe to not consume carbs for 46 days?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 11:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/000/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 345%

Its perfectly safe! I love the way I feel on it...come over and check out our thread under "General Low Carb"
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by attitudes
I don't want to risk my health, or my life for that matter. In some of the threads that have been posted, people have been on the program for weeks. I thought that cutting out all your carbs for more than a week or so was very bad. Is it safe to not consume carbs for 46 days?

What evidence is there that your health or your life will be risked? I haven't seen any.

Some people have been on it for weeks, yes. Some for months, some for years. I feel so good on this plan (4 weeks) that I can't imagine going back to any other way of eating for the foreseeable future. The weight loss, the mood changes, the energy levels - M&E is just awesome. I am grateful that it was discussed on this forum and that I discovered it.

It is safe to not consume carbs for much longer than "46 days."
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 12:01

Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

I would go check out the M and E thread in the General Low Carb forum. They're a lovely bunch of people and extremely helpful.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 15:58

Stats: 141/131/108 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 30%

It is possible, look at the Eskimos they studied , long life, good health, hardly any desease...no over-fat people, plus good mood and energy.

That has to really make you wonder. They ate almost all meat...all the time.

What is MORE scary, is that when the Eskimo's adopted the "American Diet" they got fatter, sicker (introduced to diabetes, heart issues, tough child birth, cancer....ect.)

Have to wonder...is the question you should be asking..."Is it even safe to eat sugar..."

They did another study where two guys were given nothing but fat/protien for a year...a actual scientific experiement where they tested health, made there meals, ect...to see if they would get sick or what would happen. They came out healthier then when they went IN.

This whole society has been brainwashed, and it is getting sicker and fatter...

I would look around and see what everyone is doing and NOT do that.lol.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 07:47
Registered Member

Stats: 188.5/169.5/155 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I totally agree that sugar is so bad. I agree that pasta, bread, rice, potatoes and anything of the sort is also not good and contributes to obesity, diabetes, alergies, yeast infections and much more. I just thought that one needs vegetables and fruits. Do any of you on the M&E consume any amount of vegetables or fruit?

I have been reading the "Meat and Egg" forum and am inspired by all the posts. Thanks for all your imput it helps when you know this is how many choose to eat.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 214/193/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I have been doing m/e for a few weeks maybe more, I lost count, and I really like it. I feel great, I love the weight loss! I have caught a cold, but my entire family has it so I dont think my diet is to blame for that. I also find it easier then doing my previous atkins, only because then I dont have to amek sure I stay under allowed carbs. I have splurged a few times and had a peice of corn, and while it takes a few days to start losing again, I find myself stalling more when I add in any carbs.

Good luck in your decision.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 09:00

Stats: 231/194/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I did m/e for 8 days and didn't lose any great amount of weight. Maybe I should have given it more time. I had a friend who did her own version of Atkins which was really just meat/eggs. She lost very quickly. But I did not. So I'm just doing "regular" Atkins. Am losing slowly but I'm finally getting more accepting of the fact that it's just gonna come off slowly. I also got tired of m/e...that's all I ate for 8 days. I missed my salads and veggies. Good luck to you.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 17:08

Stats: 223/186.2/150 Female 5'4"
BF:45%/40%/25%
Progress: 50%

I tried the M& E. I did lose about 4 lbs in the first 5 days, Then WAM into a stall and the weight did not move. A week later and tired of just meat and eggs I went back to Atkins. I stuck to Atkins but it took about 5 weeks before I lost any thing again then it was real slow for two month, only 5 lb in two months. This week I have finally lost 4 lbs this week so I am hopeful my body has readjusted and I will continue to lose with the "normal" Atkins low carb.

You have to be a special person to stick to eating just meat and eggs. Too boring for me.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 17:43

Stats: 183/000/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 345%

Too each their own. It not only depends on weight loss but it depends on the physical and mental well being. Although I stick to m/e, if I go out to eat I'll have a salad and put some cheese on it. Also, during my TOM, I will "cheat" with some grilled veggies.

I think that the good thing about m/e is that you get so focused on eating V.L.C. that if you do "cheat" its only about 10 carbs and you still lose, and you feel satisfied!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 17:45

Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's not a program the way Atkins or other recognized plans are programs, but some people seem to do well on it. I personally, do not do well with too much meat in my diet (rashes, menstrual cramps, bladder issues) so everyone is different.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 03:30
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Been doing it almost 7 months and have been at goal and maintaining on this for 2 months now. Very possible and I feel AWESOME!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 04:30
No Cheats Ever!

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 291/163/155 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I started LC on 1/15/06.. and switched to Meat and Eggs on March 7th... I've lost about 53 lbs so far total. I vary alittle.. I'll eat onions, green peppers, mushrooms, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy creamm cheese.. tomato and lettuce leaf on a hamburger, pickles..but that's really the extent of my vegetables. Not enough to call it Atkins. My goal is to lose the next 50 lbs before xmas.

I do take vitamins and supplements - potassium, magnesium, chromium picolinate.. fish oil and flax oil in addition to my multivitamin.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 22:55
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

I'm sold on M/E after a month on the plan. For increased energy, you can't beat this plan. I also agree with shopgirl about any "falls" off the diet - they tend to be very low carb in and of themselves and don't set you back. The only "cheat" I've really done is I bought some chocolate protein powder and made a couple of shakes to drink after working out. I haven't done that regularly because I'm so used to eating eggs and meat and I actually prefer them now to anything else. But the plan is so satisfying (and appetite-suppressing) that you just end up not thinking about food very much. At least that's how it's been for me.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 05:01

Plan: M&E
Stats: 159/118.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:Clueless
Progress: 104%

M&E isn't for everyone, that's true, but for those of us that enjoy it, it works very well.