Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/295.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default Question about cost...

Have any of you ever eaten LC on a very tight budget? I mean, like, we're on food-stamps, kind of budget? My family is very low income right now, we have 2 kids and my husband is an immigrant (he's legal don't worry) so we don't exactly have a lot of money. I know that eating low carb will help me be healthier and lose weight so that's what I have decided to do. BUT, it seems like buying REAL food at the grocery store, instead of refined this and that and junk food, is SO SO Much more expensive. My husband is ok with me eating low carb, even though it is more expensive. His logic is that if I don't lose weight and get healthier then eventually we're going to have to spend a lot of money on medical expenses/medications etc....

Any thoughts/advice on this? How do you keep your budget low while eating low carb/real food?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 09:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Rofl, my current method for keeping my budget low is fasting three days a week! Other ways? Do you have room in your freezer? That way maybe you could pick things up on sale and freeze. Family-back ground beef is often pretty cheap and you can freeze some, eggs were pretty cheap, maybe less so with the whole avian flu thing. Look for cheaper veggies. Cabbage is often cheap. If you read the New Atkins for a New You (should be able to get from library) you might try some of rhe Vegetarian Atkins options, like lentils. A bit carbier but cheaper too. Sometimes canned veggies are on sale cheaply. There are already some threads here about LC on a budget.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 09:18

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

Eggs are a really great LC staple. While egg prices have skyrocketed in much of the US, it is still possible to get 12 eggs for $1.99. Do you have a Trader Joe's you can get to? Their egg prices haven't gone up. Good luck, and I second what Merpig said. Some great previous threads on the subject if you have a look around the site.

Also try your local food bank. I'm told that while they normally distribute carby junk, that it's nevertheless still possible to occasionally find fresh food.

And if you can get to a BJ's, pork various cuts of pork ribs, steaks, chops, and roasts are also available at $2 a pound.

For fresh veggies, you can also try a bulk wholesale Italian or ethnic type wholesale veg market. You will need to do some googling.

Additionally, if I drive an hour to get to the Russian neighborhood and Russian supermarkets in my city, fruits and vegetables are also about 25% - 50% of the cost at my normal supermarket closest to me, mostly because in other cultures, people eat really differently, and most people eat A LOT of fresh veggies. It's really reflected in the variety of stock at the supermarkets, and also in the prices of these items.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 18:30

Plan: <30 Net Carbs
Stats: 270/210/130 Female 5'4"
BF:51/45/ ???
Progress: 43%

I watch weekly sales, and stock up on protein when there's a great price and freeze it. After a few months of LC, I'm spending less per month on food than I was before LC. It's very doable.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 18:59

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

I do the same watching sale. Often I go to our local food Lion in the morning and meat with an expiration date that day is 40% off. I cook it the same day and freeze it. Our local Publix has often bogo deal and I stock up with those. I checked my budget and it is about the same then before. The only thing is I cook a lot more.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 19:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

It's definitely a challenge especially when it's a whole family thing. There are great tips here, but I also want to say your husband is 100% right about the costs just building up in health care costs down the road. It sounds like you married a very smart and supportive man!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 07:39

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Canned tuna is a great budget protein as well as eggs as already mentioned. Shop sales sales sales and learn to know your local markets. For example, our local Wal Mart super centre marks their meat down every Saturday morning, so I'm in there getting stuff 30-50% off just because I show up at 7 a.m.

Try cooking seasonally (like fall - turkeys are on sale - so it seems like a lot of money BUT put out SO much meat/protein), and if you have room inside your home with good sunlight (or if you are in a warmer climate and have a patch outside), how about GROWING some fresh veggies for a stead supply. Seed mixes for mixed greens and things like pepper and tomato plants which grow easily in containers are available online for just a few dollars. Containers can be bought at a dollar store and potting mix is also inexpensive.

This forum is great for ideas , people are very helpful and knowledgeable
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If your kids are small enough, and you are not already signed up for WIC, sign up for WIC. You can get things that are essential for babies and small kids through that, and it will take some of the pressure off your food stamp budget.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-15, 21:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I found that buying fresh produce, but in small amounts, is fairly inexpensive. The trouble is affording the meat and protein here. Often interfaith good samaritan or poverty resistance food pantries will offer fresh produce. Often they are the cast off of the store, but still good to eat. Depending on where you are, sometimes subsidies will also include produce. Fruit for the kids, and low carb veggies for the dieter.