Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 02:01
Registered Member

Plan: High protein, low carb
Stats: 258/116/96 Female 66 ins
BF:
Progress:
Default Arrrgghhh! Can I still salvage today?

I am on Day 4 of HPLC diet, allowed between 40-50g carbs a day. I have been averaging about 14g the past 3 days.

For some reason, this morning I have eaten a bowl of porridge with some tinned apple( Why! Total carbs=39.3.

If I have an low carb day, ie. eating less than 50g, would I be able to salvage day? Or should I go back to basics, if so, how long till go back to burning fat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 03:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Please help xx
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 03:53

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I don't think your body can "cancel out" a poor food choice, so would suggest just eating to plan from now on rather than punishing yourself by deprivation.

It happened, you made the choice, so now forgive yourself and carry on according to your plan.

Maybe try to work out what made you decide to eat offplan, so you can work out an avoidance strategy for the next time you are in the same situation/frame of mind.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 05:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

If I eat within my carb limit (40-50g) per day, does it matter what I eat?

TIA
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 06:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy07
If I eat within my carb limit (40-50g) per day, does it matter what I eat?

TIA

I believe it does. Even small amounts of high glycemic carbs (i.e. cake, ice cream, milk, bread ) will cause your insulin to spike more than say the same amount of carbs in a low glycemic choice, like a salad.

Then there are the cravings too that it can cause. If I veer off the path, I have a few days where I have to fight to be 'really, really good' to get back on, otherwise it can spiral into eating other high carb foods.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 06:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Ah right, porridge is under low GI so I guess it was not the worst thing I could have eaten. Hopefully I have not done too much damage as I have been eating well under my 40g a day so far.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I personally would go as close to zero-carb as possible for the rest of the day, and white-knuckle the cravings, which as DaGrant says, might last a few days. Hopefully by tomorrow you'll be back on track with your ketosis. Good luck.

Porridge sounds OK, but grains aren't the best, and tinned apple might have added sugar, so it still might spike your insulin, which will cause you difficulties with cravings. Just hang on, and remind yourself that they'll pass and it gets easier.

While you can't put the clock back, you can nip any situation in the bud, and do your best to limit the damage, before you derail your diet completely.

Good luck with getting back on track.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-20-12 at 13:03.