Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-12, 20:15
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default No-Cook Meyer Lemon-Orange Marmalade

Seriously, I did not cook this and it was WONDERFUL! You can cook it if you prefer, but I don't find it necessary.

This recipe is a variation of Barbo’s (member on Low-Carb Friends Forums) Foolproof Orange Marmalade recipe. I decided to play around with the fruit and change it up a bit. I used Meyer Lemons, a fruit originally from China, and introduced to the U.S. in 1908. They are said to be a lemon/mandarin orange cross and are sweeter than regular lemons. I’ve just recently discovered Meyer lemons and they have a WONDERFUL flavor! So I thought to myself this morning when I realized I was out of marmalade, why not? At first, I was going to use all Meyer lemon, but my husband outvoted me and asked for a lemon-orange mixture, so that’s what I did. It came out FANTASTIC! My compliments to Barbo on the process for making this base recipe! This recipe is not suitable until the “other fruits” rung of the Atkins OWL ladder. For lowest carbs posted below, use liquid sucralose (recalculate if you use other sweetener equivalents). Net carb count goes up to 2.99 per tablespoon if you use 3 c. granular Splenda. As with all things using sweeteners, since sweetness taste is so highly individual, I recommend you start out using half the sweetener this recipe calls for and first TASTE the marmalade. Then add the remaining sweetener gradually, tasting until you get it just right for YOUR taste buds.

NOTE: This is not COOKED. But if you prefer the taste of cooked marmalade, you can bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer it for around 10-15 minutes. This will slightly change the flavor of the orange and lemon peel.

INGREDIENTS:

4 Meyer lemons
1 large naval orange
3/4 tsp. EzSweets liquid sucralose (75 drops from the tiny bottle) [3 c. granular Splenda or equivalent)

DIRECTIONS: Wash fruit. Cut into smaller pieces, removing all seeds possible. Place in food processor and add sweetener. Pulse until it reaches the consistency you like. Spoon into a clean jar with a lid and refrigerate. For those that prefer their marmalade cooked, you can simmer this for 10 minutes. The flavor will be slightly different if it is cooked though.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about 2¼ c. of marmalade, or 36 tablespoons. Each tablespoon contains:

4.28 calories
.03 g fat
1.2 g carbs, .3 g fiber, .9 g NET CARBS
.12 g protein
<1 mg sodium
18 mg potassium

Last edited by Buttoni : Tue, Mar-20-12 at 03:19. Reason: Title change
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 11:29

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I can't wait to try this, marmalade is one of my all time favorite things.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 13:05
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I think you'll be pleased. I'm having a piece of LC toast with some spread on top as we "speak". Mmmm.