Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 09:05
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peggy's "Shy Poke" Eggs

This creation is in honor of two San Antonio diners (no longer in existence) known as Hipps Bubble Room, and its successor, Little Hipps. Our best friends used to take us to these places late night for beer and their famous "Shy-Poke Eggs". Now you have to SEE this culinary creation to appreciate the name, but they were nachos with a smear of beans on the bottom, a slice of Jack cheese, a slice of jalapeno and a ¼ slice bit of yellow cheese on top. They were warmed just long enough for the cheeses to begin to melt, but before the cheese got runny and spread out all over the pan. The overall visual impact when a plate of these was set before you was that they looked remarkably like a nacho with a fried egg on top!! Hence the name.

Well, I was thinking about Shy-Poke Eggs on my morning walk today and got the idea to make something like them for my breakfast. The final creation came out tasty, although they didn't have quite the visual impact of the originals. We were eager to taste these, I forgot to get a pic, but will do so next time I make them and post soon.

This breakfast boasts the following nutrition, based on RDA: 68% selenium, 62% thiamin, 43% phosphorous, 54% vitamin B12, 30% vitamin B6, 434% riboflavin, 36% zinc. So it's VERY good for you!

INGREDIENTS:

3 oz. ground pork, seasoned (or pork sausage)
1 slice Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
¼ slice Cheddar or Deluxe American Cheese
1-2 T. canned refried beans (omit if still in Induction)
1 egg
1 slice jalapeno (optional)
Sprinkle chopped cilantro (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Pfreheat oven to 350º. On a good non-stick sheet pan or skillet, using the back of a fork, spread sausage out in a 5" circle (will be thin). Using the fork, make a 1½" hole in the middle by pushing the sausage outward a bit. The final result is something like the shape of a doughnut. Using the back of a spoon, smear the refried beans on top of the sausage, but leave the center hole empty. Now, gently crack the egg into the center hole, trying not to break the yolk. Top with the whole slice of Jack cheese. If you want it, place a slice of jalapeno atop the yolk. Finally place the small square of yellow cheese on top. If using, sprinkle with cilantro last.

Pop into 350º oven for about 15-20 minutes, depending on how done you want the yolks. My husband likes them runny, which took 15 minutes; I like them 90% set, which took 20 minutes.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 serving which contains:

446 calories
37.4 g fat
5.4 g carbs
1.4 g fiber
4 g NET CARBS
30 g protein
189 mg sodium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/155/150 Male 60
BF:
Progress:

Sounds great. Where is the 30 g of protein coming from?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 07:59
Patience Personified

From the beans, egg and cheese. BTW, I made it again and I've got a pic for it on my site now at the link below. But my yolk broke and "ran out" for some reason, and it usually doesn't. So the visual impact wasn't as perfect on this pic. Will get a better pic the next time I make them.

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/1...s-shy-poke-egg/
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-11, 20:34
Patience Personified

And of course, the ground pork.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 07:05

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

This looks delicious!!! Can't wait to try it.

L.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 16:47
Patience Personified

I have out-of-town company an just saw your post. Hope you like these. I think they're fun to serve and even more fun to EAT!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-12, 00:09

Stats: 101/104/95 Female 156 cm
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have tried such a thing, we call it 'Ajar schnitzel'. Do you make a hole in the sausage all the way through or create a cup-shaped thing?
Karina
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-12, 08:24
Patience Personified

I created a deep cup-shaped depression. But as seen in the pic, some of the egg, if large, will spill out of your depression. If you made a complete hole in the center, the egg would likely seep out and under the meat.