Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:07

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Going to take the plunge and switch

Well, I'm heading out in a bit to pick up PP and PPLP. My gyno has recommended I add some more good carbs. This after she told me to cut them out when I was diagnosed with PCOS. So frustrating. I've been in a pretty heartbreaking stall for a long time now and just getting frustrated. I've just been in a funk. I've removed so many things from my daily menu that I don't really look forward to eating and sometimes have to force myself. My body seems to be fighting with everything it has to hold on. I go through quite a bit of effort to keep myself out of depression and off meds, so I am worried that if I keep heading down this path, I'll end up depressed, which isn't fun!! I have recently changed my workout routine and the inches seem to be moving again, but when it comes to food, I'm in a rut.

In looking through all of the various forums it appears that this plan might be the best for me, in keeping my carbs low but making sure I get the protein right. I think I've been getting too much on some days and not enough on the others, but very rarely the "right" amount. I think after all these years, I really just need a change of pace, and to be honest, I'm fairly tired of putting such an emphasis on "fat". I understand that PP is not a low fat plan, but I like that the emphasis is on protein. I'm just wondering for those that transitioned from Atkins, what did you find to be the most difficult obstacles to overcome? The plans seem very similar, so I'm hoping there will be very few.

Off to the bookstore
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I didn't find any obstacles -- in fact, I found it to be a "freeing" experience.

For me, the protein levels I calculated from PP left me eating about what I ate on Atkins. The higher levels from PPLP's chart left me feeling satisfied. I find that I eat less fat on PPLP -- not intentionally, it just works out that way.

I enjoy the freedom of picking which carbs to eat, not having rules telling me what carbs to eat. It has never made sense to me that I can't eat nuts because someone else has an issue with them, which is essentially where the OWL rules come from. And Eades is straight about calories -- if you are following the rule and not losing you are eating too many.

I did stall out, but I'm finding long stalls after losing for a few months is normal for me.

Best wishes!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:34

BF:

Thank you so much! I'm excited about trying something new, and I hope I have a similar experience! I agree about the nuts issue, and choosing the carbs would be great!! I really feel like part of my "funk" is missing certain carbs, like fruit (I never allowed myself to get there on Atkins). I would give my right pinkey for a dang cantaloupe some days I'm interested to read the books and give it a shot. I'm good with stalls and don't get as frustrated as I once did (don't get me wrong, they still stink!!!), but I think if I see some movement before the stall, that keeps me going.

Thank you for the encouragement!! I wish you continued success!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:49
Registered Member

The first carb I went for was a half a peach. Cantaloupe the next day! Enjoy!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 13:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
The first carb I went for was a half a peach. Cantaloupe the next day! Enjoy!

I'm so excited about that!! Oh a peach would be DIVINE right now!! That really is the one thing I have missed, fruit. I don't need a lot, but I really have missed it. I wasn't able to go get the books so I'm going to run by this afternoon. Sounds like things are well distributed through the day, which will help keep my insulin stable, which should help with the PCOS... here's hoping!!!

Thanks again Liz!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 13:56
Registered Member

Chris, I'm just happy to see you excited!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 17:22

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I've actually been thinking about making the switch, too - I'm ordering the book to give it a read. I've been in a lonnnng Atkins stall and I'm just not happy with it. It might be nice to have a few more carb choices. Do I need to read both PP and PPLP - or is one any better than the other?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 18:44
Registered Member

PPLP has more science in it. I have read here -- that's like heard 3rd hand in the real world -- that the Eades say it is what they wanted to write the first time around. I read PPLP first and PP second -- PPLP was a better read to me.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:13

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Perfect, thanks - I'll read that one first and see if I need more info after reading that. I like science.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 20:58

BF:

Well, I just finished PPLP (okay, I didn't read it cover to cover, but I hit the highlights ) There was some pretty eye opening statements made that I'm still having to absorb, especially regarding supplementation. And I'm thinking I need to start giving blood regularly. When I started reading, I figured I would need to go purist, with the blood pressure and PCOS, but after reading, I just don't know. I may try to go with the middle one up until vacation in a few weeks, and then come back and do purist for several weeks. Purist is pretty hard core, but I understand the reasoning behind it. This plan will take some getting used to, but I think it will be good for the discipline. I need to read through the book again so I can get a better handle on things.

I only got PPLP as the store was out of PP. I'd eventually like to read PP though.

thanks for your help Liz!!

Whammies, good luck to you!!!! Oh how I can't wait to dig into some melon and berries