Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 18:12

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Barry Groves Has Done It Again!

If you thought "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes was a mind blower, try Dr. Groves' new book on for size. My copy of "Trick and Treat" came today and I haven't been able to put it down.

He has more recent research and studies cited that are just blowing my mind. All I can think is, WHEN oh WHEN will mainstream media begin to pick up on the truth?

Not nearly as marathon a read as Taubes, which should bring this book into a lot more hands. I don't think this will detract from it by any means. In fact, it's so well presented that it should be on the NY Times bestseller list in no time.

And I'm only at the end of Chapter Two.

Seriously. If you care about your health....

Buy This Book.

Last edited by Locarb4mee : Mon, Nov-24-08 at 21:00.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 18:28

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 335/236/205 Male 70 inches
BF:??/32/10
Progress: 76%

Your hook is worded funny; it reads like you are saying that Dr. Groves wrote GCBC.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 18:34

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

So, what in that book would change what I am doing now?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 18:57
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm planning to buy it. It may not change what I'm doing but I like to lend my books out in the hopes something will stick. GCBC is extremely convincing but only for people who aren't too intimidated to crack it open in the first place.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 21:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijw
Your hook is worded funny; it reads like you are saying that Dr. Groves wrote GCBC.

Better now?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 21:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Hard to say; I don't know what you're doing

If you had any doubt that pharmaceutical companies control most of the medical and health world, you won't when you read the first 2 chapters.

If you are concerned about cholesterol, this book should set your mind at ease.

Maybe I'll be back when I've read more.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 03:54

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

I've read this book, too, and I imagine that your eating habits won't change drastically as a result of reading this book (OK, it might put you off eating rat-poo infested wheat products, soy and bran if you happen to eat them now). But it does have quite a few thought-provoking ideas.

One example I can give you is that I am now no longer feeling guilty for not undergoing the discomfort of a smear test and boob mangle by my gynaecologist. If you want to know why he is against these screenings, then I'll tell you more in a reply!

If you're not already sceptical about the medical profession (by which I understand doctors, rather than nurses), then you will find plenty of reasons to become a true cynic if you read this book.

I've read the Protein Power Lifeplan, too, GCBC, Life Without Bread, The True You Diet (Dr Briffa, the other LC expert in the UK), Nourishing Traditions, Eat Fat Lose Fat, and Mr Groves' other book, "Natural Health and Weight Loss", and I've learnt something new in each one. I enjoy reading these books and find they help keep me on track.

I think it's great that this book is being publicised via this forum and I can also recommend it to anyone who is put off by the weightiness of the Taubes' tome. It's not exactly low-carb for dummies either, but it's perhaps a little less heavy going than GCBC.

"Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves is a great book to recommend to anyone who finds Atkins a bit too "hardcore", but wants to try a low-carb approach which is a bit "milder" than doing all the induction flu stuff.

amanda
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 06:40
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well I hope you're right and it's a good book. I sacrificed some kind of Christmas Wii component in order to buy the book LOL.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 08:05

BF:

Amanda, you did an excellent job with that post. Better than I did, thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 08:21

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well no one can read it if it isn't distributed, sadly. My library, and it's a pretty major public library, doesn't even have a single book by Groves. In fact, neither does the Library of Congress (at which my DH has borrowing privileges).
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 10:13

Plan: various plans
Stats: 209/187/131 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Amanda,

Please expand on why he is against smear tests?

Thanks,
Kara
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 10:25

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 335/236/205 Male 70 inches
BF:??/32/10
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Well no one can read it if it isn't distributed, sadly. My library, and it's a pretty major public library, doesn't even have a single book by Groves. In fact, neither does the Library of Congress (at which my DH has borrowing privileges).

Amazon has it, but Barne's and Noble does not. Sad since I wanted to pick up a copy at my local store this morning
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 11:03
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Groves really tells the truth about breast cancer and colon cancer screening. It's all about $$$! Very good read. Much easier read the GCBC. Lots of great info. He also talks history, not as in depth as Gary. But enough to get the point across. He talks about diseases and the LC cure or the way it helps. He basically blasts the drug companies, the health care system, and a lot more. I enjoyed it very much. Hope everyone else does. Gary is a little to boring, great researcher, the best by far. Writer?? A little to dry for my taste. Groves book is a quick read....Bru
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 11:41

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Amazon doesn't have the Look inside option. Have you seen an excerpt anywhere?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 12:19

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood

One example I can give you is that I am now no longer feeling guilty for not undergoing the discomfort of a smear test and boob mangle by my gynaecologist. If you want to know why he is against these screenings, then I'll tell you more in a reply!

If you're not already sceptical about the medical profession (by which I understand doctors, rather than nurses), then you will find plenty of reasons to become a true cynic if you read this book.

I've read the Protein Power Lifeplan, too, GCBC, Life Without Bread, The True You Diet (Dr Briffa, the other LC expert in the UK), Nourishing Traditions, Eat Fat Lose Fat, and Mr Groves' other book, "Natural Health and Weight Loss", and I've learnt something new in each one. I enjoy reading these books and find they help keep me on track.

snip
amanda

I must buy this book. I have not had my breasts mangled and would love to have an excuse as to why I don't. My sister keeps bugging me because I'm over 40. Please elaborate on that a little?
I'm a cynic already, but always love to get more information. I've read the same books except Groves.

I have to say my favorite so far is Eades in that he is so scathing, yet does it in such an entertaining, humorous way.

This may seem a little off-topic, but it's not really. My daughter's gym teacher called me to tell me that her heart rate went to 165 after getting on the bike for only a few minutes. So I took her to the Doc, who really took a long time examining her. Had her do jumping jacks, asked a ton of questions, and said she thought DD's heart sounded great.
However, just to be sure, let's get a ECG. So I call a cardiologist that the Dr recommended and made an appointment. But wait, the cardiologist will need to see a chest X ray first. So lets order up a chest X ray.

That's the thing- I think my daughter is getting turned into a patient. I want to cancel the appointments. But then I'm a bad mother if I do? I feel like I'm being guilted into this in order to cover the butt of the Dr. I'm not a doctor, but she has always been healthy & active. I also have serious suspicions about the gym equipment, the gym teacher, etc.