Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 20:57

Plan: Dr. Atkin's
Stats: 216/206.4/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default weighing naked? and other scale issues.

i noticed that there is a difference of 2-3 lbs. depending on whether or not i step on the scale nude or not. is it "cheating" if i weigh myself nude? on those "ideal weight" charts, are they including clothing? shoes?

i'm trying to compare my bathroom scale to the gym scale to see if my home scale is accurate, but then i run into this problem at the gym because i always am registering higher weight there (on the balanced and more accurate scales), but i do NOT want to subject the poor women in the locker room to a view of me in my pregnant stretch-marked glory. and i really don't know how much my gym clothes weigh. i've considered taking them to the grocery store and weighing them in the veggie scale, but i highly doubt that the other shoppers would understand my predicament.

also, i tend to weigh myself in the morning before i've eaten or drinking anything. is THAT cheating too? or am i supposed to register my weight with a fully hydrated and fed body?

just want to hear others' thoughts on these questions...

DISCLAIMER: i am not obsessing with my weight. being pregnant, my dr wants me to monitor my weight closely. it's one of the conditions i agreed to when i told her that i would be cutting my "bad" carbs and eating veggies and whole-wheat only for fuel.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 21:15
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I weigh myself first thing in the morning, before eating, and in the buff, baby! But I'm doing it at home. LOL

My advice would be to bring to the gym the same outfit you're wearing (or something close) and remove your sneakers when you weigh, and then subtract what the outfit weighs.

But honestly I think the best bet is to find a way to be consistent. Same scale, same circumstances, ya know? I'm thinking they are all so off that really what you're trying to assess is a TREND moreso than pinpointing a precise weight.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

i weight myself everyday too in the buff and depending on how i stand on it, move the scale to different parts of the floor, or not losing my balance and rock all over i get different numbers...so frustrating...i can stand on it and be 307 then stand on it again and i'll be 312 again 309...ridiculous..and this scale is one that is suppose to be pretty accurate.
but at home just weight yourself with your workout clothes on three times and without three times then you'll know exactly how much your clothes add to your weight. thats what i do here.
also, i had my son last year and although i didn't diet i did watch my sugars and carbs and lost 30 pounds during the whole pregnancy. if i could only be pregnant for five years i'd be paris hiltonish.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 22:28

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy0912
i weight myself everyday too in the buff and depending on how i stand on it, move the scale to different parts of the floor, or not losing my balance and rock all over i get different numbers...so frustrating...i can stand on it and be 307 then stand on it again and i'll be 312 again 309...ridiculous..and this scale is one that is suppose to be pretty accurate.
but at home just weight yourself with your workout clothes on three times and without three times then you'll know exactly how much your clothes add to your weight. thats what i do here.
also, i had my son last year and although i didn't diet i did watch my sugars and carbs and lost 30 pounds during the whole pregnancy. if i could only be pregnant for five years i'd be paris hiltonish.

Huh! I had the same issues with my scale.. a few years a go I got me a new digital scale ($28 on Amazon) that is made of a solid slab of glass and it solved the accuracy problems.. it is consistent every time I go on it, no matter where it is placed or how I stand on it..

And to the original post: I always weigh my self nude, and always fist thing in the morning.. It is the best way to get some consistency..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 22:29
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 272/262.5/240 Male 75
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Its the Rate Of Loss that Counts!!

I think I'm burning a few extra calories with all this talk of women in the buff!

I think most of the folks on this site probably only three things in the buff...
Shower, Weigh Themselves, and you already know what number three is!!

I don't think how you weigh yourself really matters as long as you do it consistently the same......its the rate of loss that matters!!

Unfortunately, for me, a big mirror is right next to where I weigh myself....that never lies!!!

May Fortune Favor the Foolish.....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 22:48

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Nude and first thing in the morning. As-a-matter-of-fact, first thing in the morning is the only time i look good in the nude. Something I realized by accident: I weigh 1/2 - 1 lbs less AFTER my shower.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 22:54

Plan: Dr. Atkin's
Stats: 216/206.4/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

thanks for the advice. i guess my problem is with my home scale. i can't get it to give me the same reading twice!! same situation: if i step on it uneven, if i move it, or if i sneeze i get a different reading. the scale i have is one of those with a solid piece of glass (like yours arie?) that i spent quite a good amount of money on. i guess i should do some research and get a better one. then i can do it naked (at home!), have a reliable measurement, not have to sprint nude to the scale while the locker room is empty or contaminate the veggies!! arie, can you (or anyone else!) tell me exactly which scale you recommend?

much aloha to all! ~shauna
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 23:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arie
Huh! I had the same issues with my scale.. a few years a go I got me a new digital scale ($28 on Amazon) that is made of a solid slab of glass and it solved the accuracy problems.. it is consistent every time I go on it, no matter where it is placed or how I stand on it..

And to the original post: I always weigh my self nude, and always fist thing in the morning.. It is the best way to get some consistency..

Hey, I remember you!!! Didn't you have the no-bake, lc cheesecake recipe? I made that many, many times. I served it at the company Xmas party and everyone loved it. I didn't tell them it was low carb.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 23:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan53
I think I'm burning a few extra calories with all this talk of women in the buff!

I think most of the folks on this site probably only three things in the buff...
Shower, Weigh Themselves, and you already know what number three is!!

I don't think how you weigh yourself really matters as long as you do it consistently the same......its the rate of loss that matters!!

Unfortunately, for me, a big mirror is right next to where I weigh myself....that never lies!!!

May Fortune Favor the Foolish.....

Love this post...Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 23:07

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagrrl
thanks for the advice. i guess my problem is with my home scale. i can't get it to give me the same reading twice!! same situation: if i step on it uneven, if i move it, or if i sneeze i get a different reading. the scale i have is one of those with a solid piece of glass (like yours arie?) that i spent quite a good amount of money on. i guess i should do some research and get a better one. then i can do it naked (at home!), have a reliable measurement, not have to sprint nude to the scale while the locker room is empty or contaminate the veggies!! arie, can you (or anyone else!) tell me exactly which scale you recommend?

much aloha to all! ~shauna

Shauna,

I like scales made by Sohnle (my kitchen scale is also by them), and the model I like best is this one http://www.amazon.com/Soehnle-63702...2431073-8878043

It has sensors in all 4 feet, unlike the cheaper ones that have sensors in only 2 or 1 foot..
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 06:11

Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

uggh i hate my scale,,(wink wink yeah it's the scale) today im 312????? i haven't been that in two weeks. i haven't cheated, ok ate a little more salt than usual, but heres my question: it is close to TOM, how much on average water weight can a woman gain around that time? thanks in advance

#12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 09:29

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 185/133.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Yep, weight in morning, buff. I love my digital scale!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 09:40

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

i weigh myself after i shower, but with a towel on my head. i already know the towel weighs 4lbs (we have those huge, thick, bath sheets). i've got a cheapy old scale i bought from wal-mart, but i'm thinking about going ahead and getting a good quality one. i know the scale itself isn't to blame for my stall, because i check key points on myself in the mirror to see if there are any changes first. if not, i can figure the scale won't change either.

Quote:
it is close to TOM, how much on average water weight can a woman gain around that time? thanks in advance

it'll vary by person, but i've gone from not gaining anything to 5 or 6lbs overnight. mine just started so i hope that's the explanation for the 2lbs i gained yesterday.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 12:59

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Nude and first thing in the morning. As-a-matter-of-fact, first thing in the morning is the only time i look good in the nude. Something I realized by accident: I weigh 1/2 - 1 lbs less AFTER my shower.

Gee, how can you explain THAT one? Even working in the garden all day I don't accumulate .5-1# of dirt on me

ROFLOL...

Julie

PS I'll have to try that!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 267.2/182/160 Female 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
i haven't cheated, ok ate a little more salt than usual, but heres my question: it is close to TOM, how much on average water weight can a woman gain around that time? thanks in advance

3-5 lbs for me but salt will add to it. The morning after I've had bacon the scale is usually up a bit, but gone the next day.