Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 09:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Teenage daughter and insulin resistance

I wrote a long time ago about my 15 yo daughter with the dark skin around her neck and under her arms etc. But, here is an update. Her insulin was on the low side (according to doctor). We finally got some tests done. My daughter is now almost 17. She has lost 17 pounds without trying in the last 6 months. She weighs 133 and is 5ft 4in. Can anyone tell me a little more about the test results? Her A1c was 5.4 which seems a little high for a teenager. Also the total testosterone has a * by it and it is 25, the testosterone is 3.6 and the % of free testosterone is is 1.44. Are these values high or low?

She craves sugar a lot of the time but she also feels nausea in the morning when she goes to eat or other times after eating a small amount she feels very full and can't eat very much. She gets really weak and crampy and tired when she has her period. They sent her to the youth weight clinic at the hospital and she will see a nutritionist but I think she should really see an endicronologist. The doctor she is seeing said they could do that but the endo would just send her back to them. There are few other tests that are slightly high, carbon dioxide total = 28, basophiles total = 96, basophiles % = 1.1.

It worries me that her insulin was on the low side, I don't know the exact amount, and her A1c is high for a teenager. Any thoughts anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 04:26
Registered Member

Plan: Cave Woman
Stats: 181.6/177.8/145 Female 63 inches
BF:37%/37%/20%
Progress: 10%

There are too many possibilities here medically to comment on and, you're right, she does need this looked into.

But I must say this: You're her mom. You know her better than anyone else on this planet. If your gut says that something is wrong, then something is wrong.

I would recommend you contact a local compounding pharmacy to get a referral for a good doctor who specializes in bio-identical hormones. In my experience, doctors who look into this type of thing are usually a curious lot and *very* results-oriented. They also seem to have a very good grasp of insulin resistance and thyroid disorders.

Just Google "International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists" and dig through their website to find a pharmacy.

(I found one of the best doctors I've ever had with this method.)