Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/185/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Need a little help here ladies.

I do a majority of the cooking in the house. So my wife basically eats what I'm having for dinner every night and every weekend. I also make out a large portion of the grocery list. So you can imagine what the list and our fridge actually looks like with me cooking whole food low carb 100% of the time. My wife's been pretty onboard with this, since she was diagnosed with PCOS about a year back. She's also lost about 15lbs over the last 3 months as I've sort of re arranged our diet and gorcery list to a whole food, low carb diet.

Now my question is, we've finally managed to get pregnant after about 3yrs of trying. What can't I cook for her and what should I be adding that low carb might not be providing for child development?

Already found out the hard way cooking fish in the house with her was not good!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 08:49

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

As long as the Dr says ok and she's taking her prenatal vitamins, I'd say you're doing great as it is. Of course she's not supposed to lose weight during pregnancy...But like I said, check with her OB.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 16:10

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Low carb and pregnancy go together just fine!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 06:51

Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Make sure she gets plenty of vegetables for her carbs. Don't be offended if there is suddenly a food that she doesn't like anymore. If she is having a genuine craving let her have it. For some reason I craved watermelon and banana popsicles. neither is on a low carb list anywhere.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 10:26
Registered Member

Stats: 219/208.4/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I think you should make an appointment with your doctor and discuss it further. Your growing baby should have a whole range of nutrition, but that doesn't mean he/she will need to have junk carbs. Your wife can easily have a variety of foods that continue with your WOL. But please do check with your doctor. We have a friend that was doing LC, got pregnant after trying for years and the end result was she miscarried. I can't say it was due to LC, just that she was doing it. I am not a doctor or health professional-so please please make an appointment, if anything just to ease your mind.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 12:47

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Did you see that there's a pregnancy subforum here? I'll bet they have a lot to say on the subject.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 07:12
Registered Member

Stats: 241/185/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Did you see that there's a pregnancy subforum here? I'll bet they have a lot to say on the subject.

Didn't notice that! Mostly stick to the Low carb support forums here.

We have an appointment with the doc coming up soon. I was planning on going in with her to it so I could ask a few questions and give my family medical history.

Cravings, I went to 4 grocery stores last night looking for a Uno's four cheese and pesto pizza with no luck. Then I had to go to Uno's and get one made for her and bring it home.

I'm not sure what's going on but every woman in my Tai Chi class including my wife is now pregnant.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 07:39
Registered Member

Stats: 219/208.4/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 14%

You are so sweet. My hubby wouldn't go for the midnight food runs. Which is good-I spoiled myself enough.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 09:01

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandil
Cravings, I went to 4 grocery stores last night looking for a Uno's four cheese and pesto pizza with no luck. Then I had to go to Uno's and get one made for her and bring it home.

Got me! I thought you were going to mention your own carb cravings!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-08, 22:42

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandil
Didn't notice that! Mostly stick to the Low carb support forums here.

I should have been more clear: here, within the low carb forum, there is a low carb subforum for pregnancy. Here's the link.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 05:41

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuukuu
As long as the Dr says ok and she's taking her prenatal vitamins, I'd say you're doing great as it is. Of course she's not supposed to lose weight during pregnancy...But like I said, check with her OB.

I lost 20 pounds, unintentionally, when I was pregnant with my second son. It did not hurt me or him one bit.
I was 294 lbs when I first went to see the doctor for a pregnancy test and 274 lbs at my 6 week checkup.
I had a difficult time keeping food down in my pregnancy so I would eat the most nutrient dense foods I could....fish...leafy
greens......vegetables....fruit...cheese....chicken....nuts.

At my 6 week checkup after my son was born the doctor was happier about my weight loss then I was.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 10:54

Plan: LC/LF + weights & cardio
Stats: 158.0/138.8/135.0 Female 5'7 1/2 in
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hi~

Congratulations on the pregnancy! (I understand it can be quite difficult with PCOS, but I've heard that a lot of PCOS women are able to become pregnant after low carbing for awhile, for some reason)...
I've always read (from all the pregnant women here), that doing medium-ish low carb is fine during pregnancy, like Atkins maintenance level.
I'm sure you'll find all the info you need in the LC pregnancy forum.