Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 09:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default TTC (Trying to Conceive) 1st time, but need to lose a little first

So anyone else out there TTC, but wanting to lose weight and get healthy first?

I don't have a regular cycle so it's been difficult. I've been very depressed about it so I have gained some weight. I hope to get back into the lower carbs and lose this weight. I have a doctors appointment next to hopefully get started on some meds to start my period and then mroe to start ovulation but I would like to be at a healthy weight first.

I also am taking an summer course, health and wellness. I am told I will need to run a mile for this course. I work full-time and go to one class a semester and this is one of the generals I need to take. It seems foolish but so is life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 05:33

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I am currently TTC. I have put on a few, so I could stand to loose a few. I am NOT gonna wait for that to happen first. I am 32 and the ticking is just too loud. If it takes a couple months then I have hopfully shaped up my act and lost a few. (I was also PCOS years ago, but eat LC so that helps everything along)
In the last couple months my TOM has been upwards of 37 plus or minus one day, so that has me concerned. (probably from the few I gained/lax eating)

Currently I am 7 days past ovulation (per OPK) and the deed was timed accordingly. I hope to God I am pregnant..........
I am sooo anxious/nervous to find out the results.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 08:33

BF:

I haven't had a period since February and haven't ovulated in a long time.

Next week I see the doctor to get an infertility checkup. Hopefully we get things rolling. We have been TTC for about 8 months now.

Good luck on testing, so when are you testing? The 23rd?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 08:48

BF:

((((Amy))))
Wow, that is a long time without a TOM. I used to be like that, once I did not have one for a year. Before TTC did you use hormone BC? Do you have PCOS? It can be really hard to get things going after that. My heart goes out to you.....

Have you used those ovulation predicter sticks? Is that how you know that you are not ovulating? Hopfully your doc can determine the exact cause and help you guys out.

And yes, TOM should be due on the 23rd. Six week cyle this month, crap!
Gave up on ovulating early on. then I radomly checked again when TOM did not come and I cought it. I had given up hope......

So last month TOM came april 12th. And I ovulated on may 9/10. My body cant tolerate lax lc. Realy messes with me. When "good" I am an every 30/31 day like clockwork person.

Last edited by Bandito : Wed, May-16-07 at 08:59.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 13:27

BF:

I was on Depo-Provera for 7 years. Then NuvaRing for less than a year, then Seasonale for 1 year. This was all in a row. I used the OPKs for the months following Seasonale, Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb., and never did ovulate. I don't know about PCOS, we are just starting the testing for issues.

I just started reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility", it's an excellent book, have you read it? Sounds like you just ovulate late in your cycle, which according to that book is pretty normal.

How long have you been TTC?

My hubby is 35 (36 in Sept), I am 27, he really wants to get it rolling. Otherwise I would have just waited it out for my body to control itself.

I have now been spotting for about 5 weeks, it's irritating. The doc didn't seem too worried about it though.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 10:19
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Amy, I just wanted to send luck and hugs your way as you "take control of your fertility" so to speak (I have heard great things about this book). One of the main reasons I took charge of my health, fitness and weight was to TTC this year. So I think what you're doing is great. I've heard that weight loss and fitness can play an important role in fertility. Much luck to you and your hubby!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 10:39

BF:

Well, the doctor put me on aygestin, and after i begin my tom I will then start clomid.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 06:59
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adukart
Well, the doctor put me on aygestin, and after i begin my tom I will then start clomid.

How are you feeling? How's the spotting? Keep us posted! <crossing fingers>
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 10:09

BF:

I stopped spotting the first day I took the aygestin. That is sooooo nice. Haven't spotted for 3 days now. Hopefully I will get my TOM on Wednesday next week. But it will probably take longer than that. The doc also said this first time might not work because my tom has always been very irregular.

I don't think I have any side effects yet from the aygestin. My morning temps have been very high but that is normal right before TOM. I did feel slightly feverish yesterday afternoon but that's it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 12:44

BF:

I am glad to see that you and your doc have a plan. I am sending my hopes, prayers, and good thought your way. You are moving in the right direction.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 13:26
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I am glad to see that you and your doc have a plan. I am sending my hopes, prayers, and good thought your way. You are moving in the right direction.

Ditto that! Thanks for keeping us updated. I got really good at charting my temperatures and getting to know that aspect of my body. It sounds like you know it too, which is good.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 14:45

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi ladies,
I just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat. My husband had a vasectomy reversal and I went on BC for about 8 months or so, stopped and immediatly got PG. Unfortuntately I lost the baby at 6 weeks due to an ectopic.

Well it's been a year since the ectopic and ever since then I'm having a bear of a time losing weight. Not sure if it's because of the pregnancy or because I'm getting ready to turn 30 in a few years. But if it was hard before, it's 2-3 times harder now.

DH's counts have gone up and down and finally we have them going back up again. he's ~ 17% motility but we need to get him up to 30-35% motility for a better chance of fertilization.
So needless to say, I'm thinking that if I lose atleast 10 lbs it will be easier to get PG.

Anyways...let me know how things are going. I'm currently doing M/E to drop some quick lbs before my cruise in July.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 16:07
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi Jwilson! It seems like it's been a long time since we've posted in the same place. I can understand your desire to lose to help conceive. As I recall you are also really active with exercise too, right? I imagine you're doing everything right (but keep doing it) and it's just a matter of getting hubby in the right place too. I'm crossing my fingers for you. The July cruise sounds awesome. Enjoy!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 18:16

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks Lisa! I really appreciate it.

Funny thing is I find myself bumping up against the oh if I could just lose more weight barrier and the "if I get pregnant now I'll gain it all back" thing. But I feel like I"m ready to make this move in my life. Lord willing.

I worry about repeat ectopics though is the only thing....
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 19:33
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
Thanks Lisa! I really appreciate it.

Funny thing is I find myself bumping up against the oh if I could just lose more weight barrier and the "if I get pregnant now I'll gain it all back" thing. But I feel like I"m ready to make this move in my life. Lord willing.

I worry about repeat ectopics though is the only thing....

Oh hon, I hear ya...especially since I'm in the VERY boat as we speak. I worked so hard to lose all this weight and now it's flooding back on at an alarming rate. <sigh> But I figure it's a very noble cause and a great bit of practice for me to understand sacrifice, right?

As for the worry, that is natural. God knows I'm trying not to be overly worried, but I still am...and it's understandable. I'm sending you good vibes. You're doing everything right, just have faith in that!