Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 04:32

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Enterolab, has anyone got 'negative' test results?

I'm strongly thinking of trying the Enterolab tests just to rule out Gluten and other food sensitivities.
My query is that most reports here talk of varying degrees of 'positive' results.
Not so unusual considering the population here are not a random sample, and so more inclined to be show up positive on various issues.

I acknowledge the reports to date seem to support their bona-fides.
But I would be interested to know if there is anyone who has got the all-clear from Enterolab on food sensitivities/genetics?
Given the cost of the tests I'd like to do some "due diligence" on the process.
I'd imagine there should be at least some 'negatives' on this board.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 18:00

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
I'm strongly thinking of trying the Enterolab tests just to rule out Gluten and other food sensitivities.
My query is that most reports here talk of varying degrees of 'positive' results.
Not so unusual considering the population here are not a random sample, and so more inclined to be show up positive on various issues.

I acknowledge the reports to date seem to support their bona-fides.
But I would be interested to know if there is anyone who has got the all-clear from Enterolab on food sensitivities/genetics?
Given the cost of the tests I'd like to do some "due diligence" on the process.
I'd imagine there should be at least some 'negatives' on this board.

I had a confirmation by enterolab but if you go to the main celiac forum (another site, not here) and search enterolab you will find posters who have gotten the negative from Dr Fine. keep in mind the number of negatives are low because the enterolab audience is by definition a pre-defined group that suspects they might have gluten issues, so many of the general population that might test negative are already weeded out.

Enterolab is controversial for those that are searching for the `gold standard`diagnosis but for those of us that are symptomatic but sero negative frankly the test is a god send. if you are getting tested the comprehensive panel that includes the gene test is a good idea.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 19:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes, on the celiac web site (http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/) people ask this question all the time and there are quite a few people who had negative results. But there's a WHOLE lot who don't get a negative result. I think the talk I attended by Dr. Fine it was like 60% of the samples are positive. However, people who send them in have a reason for sending them in, they feel like they might have issues with gluten.

Read the FAQ on his web site. I think he suggests you try a dietary trial even if you have a negative. Some people don't produce IgA and get a false negative.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 18:26

BF:

Thanks folks. Now another question.

On Enterolabs.com they say about Dr Kenneth Fine
" Kenneth Fine, M.D. is a gastroenterologist board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology. He has been professionally involved in patient care, medical research, teaching, and directing clinical laboratories for over 18 years."

So I had a look at Pubmed and searched for "Kenneth Fine ", got no hits.
So is there any independent reference to his "medical research" mentioned above?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 22:31

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
Thanks folks. Now another question.

On Enterolabs.com they say about Dr Kenneth Fine
" Kenneth Fine, M.D. is a gastroenterologist board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology. He has been professionally involved in patient care, medical research, teaching, and directing clinical laboratories for over 18 years."

So I had a look at Pubmed and searched for "Kenneth Fine ", got no hits.
So is there any independent reference to his "medical research" mentioned above?

I don't believe there is. what research he has done is listed on his site and last I heard he had completed his research in June of 2009 and had submitted it for publication.

Dr Fine's lack of peer reviewed research is a sore point with some, frankly it doesn't bother me. Much of what is out there that is peer reviewed is solely focused on a narrow set of diagnostic parameters for celiac and completely ignores gluten intolerance (but that's just my opinion)

anyway I look forward to his forthcoming publication
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 17:09
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
I don't believe there is. what research he has done is listed on his site and last I heard he had completed his research in June of 2009 and had submitted it for publication.

Dr Fine's lack of peer reviewed research is a sore point with some, frankly it doesn't bother me. Much of what is out there that is peer reviewed is solely focused on a narrow set of diagnostic parameters for celiac and completely ignores gluten intolerance (but that's just my opinion)

anyway I look forward to his forthcoming publication

Doesn't bother me either.

I am glad I tested with Entero Lab. My life has been so much better since getting my test results. (Which confirmed what I'd already suspected.)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 12:36

Plan: no wheat gluten etc
Stats: 130/130/128 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default DR Ken Fine

He is in Pubmed, I just checked..under KD Fine.

Results: 9
1.[Pathomorphology of ulcerative colitis]

Ajioka Y, Nishikura K, Watanabe G.

Nippon Rinsho. 2005 May;63(5):763-9. Review. Japanese.
PMID: 15881167 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

2.Proximal small bowel enteropathy in patients with microscopic colitis: is it gluten-sensitive?

Fine KD.

J Clin Gastroenterol. 2001 Mar;32(3):193-5. No abstract available.
PMID: 11246342 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

3.High prevalence of celiac sprue-like HLA-DQ genes and enteropathy in patients with the microscopic colitis syndrome.

Fine KD, Do K, Schulte K, Ogunji F, Guerra R, Osowski L, McCormack J.

Am J Gastroenterol. 2000 Aug;95(8):1974-82.
PMID: 10950045 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

4.The prevalence, anatomic distribution, and diagnosis of colonic causes of chronic diarrhea.

Fine KD, Seidel RH, Do K.

Gastrointest Endosc. 2000 Mar;51(3):318-26.
PMID: 10699778 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

5.Utility of a rapid fecal latex agglutination test detecting the neutrophil protein, lactoferrin, for diagnosing inflammatory causes of chronic diarrhea.

Fine KD, Ogunji F, George J, Niehaus MD, Guerrant RL.

Am J Gastroenterol. 1998 Aug;93(8):1300-5.
PMID: 9707055 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

6.Efficacy of open-label bismuth subsalicylate for the treatment of microscopic colitis.

Fine KD, Lee EL.

Gastroenterology. 1998 Jan;114(1):29-36.
PMID: 9428215 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

7.The prevalence and causes of chronic diarrhea in patients with celiac sprue treated with a gluten-free diet.

Fine KD, Meyer RL, Lee EL.

Gastroenterology. 1997 Jun;112(6):1830-8. Erratum in: Gastroenterology 1998 Feb;114(2):424-5.
PMID: 9178673 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

8.The prevalence of occult gastrointestinal bleeding in celiac sprue.

Fine KD.

N Engl J Med. 1996 May 2;334(18):1163-7.
PMID: 8602182 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article
Related citations

9.Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA): their detection and significance: report from workshops.

Savige JA, Davies DJ, Gatenby PA.

Pathology. 1994 Apr;26(2):186-93.
PMID: 8090592 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 14:30
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, his CV on the web site has a lot of references to papers he has published.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 18:54

BF:

Thanks Noglutgal and Nancy for the info on links.
This gives me a lot more confidence that he's not another Trevor Marshall.

Cheers
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-10, 14:30

Plan: Take Shape for Life
Stats: 204/170/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

yes, my granddaughter was "negative". I first had myself & one daughter tested for gluten intolerance along with dairy and the genetic testing done too. We were both "positive" for both while my granddaughter was negative for both. (And following a gluten free diet has helped!)
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 08:28

Plan: insulin-resistance plan
Stats: 288/282/175 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Anyone working with an alt med practitioner for gluten sensitivities or hormonal imb?

I recently rec'd my results from an Alternative Medicine practitioner that included hormonal panels and results from enterolab. I discovered I am gliadin/gluten intolerant and that it's genetic and that I have the gene from both parents. I also am insulin resistant and suffer from malabsorption, severe anemia, and it may all be autoimmune. I am trying to find out what successes people have had trying alternative medicine programs where people claim they can get you off all prescription meds and balance the body naturally. They are quite expensive and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that's had success that thinks it's worth the money. Or... if by switching their diets to elimate the bad foods eventually helps the body correct on it's own? Help needed.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 08:43
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I didn't spend any money with a ND. I did it myself. ND's will try to sell you loads of supplements and such.

I adopted a Paleo-ish diet (no grains, no dairy, low in carbs) and take a few supplements.