Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/161/141
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default 10 months down the track and I have blown it

Dear fellow low carbers,

Well what can I say. I have been low carbing since April 2001, and hit my ideal weight about 3 months ago. Only problem is I indulged in the wrong foods over Xmas, and although I am generally trying to stay low carb, I think I have developed the taste for the carbs again and am having a hard time not to have a little indiscretion each day. Being summer in Australia (its almost 40" celcius in Sydney today), I can't stop fancing ice cream on a waffle cone?

I haven't put any weight back on, but am worried that if I keep going it will. I am also trying to have my third baby, so am wondering if this is affecting my food cravings...you know on a subconcious level. My head keeps telling me that I am doing the wrong thing, but my stomach keeps saying just a little taste won't hurt- the weight is off now and it hasn't started coming back.

How does eveyone else go about getting strict on themselves again? My will power seems to be failing me!

Would appreciate any pointers.

Jo.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 23:56

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Smile hi ya

hi Aussie Jo,

I'm still working towards my goal, I wish I was in maintenance!

Are you tracking your carbs/fat/protein daily like you did while losing weight? Doing this will help you get the right mind-set back and you'll be able to control the carbs.

How did you look at carbs while in the losing phase? I look at cereals, bread, cookies, etc and think "Yuck, that'll make me sick" and can walk away from them with no regret. Whatever worked for you then, you have to find your way back to it.

Do you know that there is an maintenance club on this site? I think you should look for it, it will be among Triple Digits Club, Countdown, etc. I do believe that anyone in maintenance has different issues (higher carb limits) than those of us still actively losing.

Good luck, I wish you well. Keep on posting, we need input from someone who reached goal & stayed there!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 00:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

You scared me Jo!!!

Glad you didn't gain I was at my goal weight for a year, and didn't do any maintainance, I ate what I wanted, when I wanted. After a year it started coming back without me noticing until it was too late Now I cannot lose at the same rate as did the first time, so I learned my lesson that I have to be a low-carber for life, or my body will do what it did before.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 03:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
...just a little taste won't hurt- the weight is off now and it hasn't started coming back.

That's the addict talking! You need a refresher course in Atkins.

I would seriously go back to induction for 2 weeks because continuing to eat carbs will make you crave more. It's a vicious cycle. Eat more, crave more, eat more. You don't want to go back there, do you?

I would also get the new edition of DANDR. There is lots of new information and the chapters on OWL and maintenance are especially good.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 21:12

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Don't fret! It'll just drive you to give up and then you're done for. If you absolutely can't see fit to go completely no "sweet," buy a bag of frozen raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries. Eat 1/2 cup frozen (per day, not per hour ). It keeps you cool in the summer, and has helped me assauge that hankering for chocolate. Keep your chin up, so you can keep being an inspiration for those of us who have a long way to go before maintenance.

Shalom,
Sh'ra
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 200/190/150
BF:
Progress: 20%

you said the wrong word ice-cream, I just quit my job in a ice-cream plant. I love ice-cream No you just have to go back to square one and start again So if you have 3rd baby you will beable to run after it. and play with all 3 with out always being tooo tired You can do it . You no you can We are all here still when you need a leg up Good Luck to you
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 05:40
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Guess what ? I am pregnant

Hi there all,

Thanks for all your advice and encouragement. Am certainly intending to stick to the diet as best I can. Found out yesterday that I AM pregnant with number 3! Guess this goes some way to explaining my craving for ice cream. With all of my pregnancies I have craved for a particular food before I actually knew that I was pregnant.

Have started reading Atkins again - to keep myself in the right frame of mind not to over indulge in all the wrong foods. Would like to think that this time I can keep my weight gain to the recommended 13-15 kg, not the 25-30 kg I have put on in the past.

Will check forums regularly for any advice on pregnant on Atkins.- Does anybody happen to know if there is any research on the effects of Splenda on unborn children? In Australia, there aren't many to choose from anyway and I tend to stick to Splenda as I believe it is safe.

Anyway, thanks again.

Jo
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:13

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Congratulations!!!!!!! A That is great!!!!!
There are a couple other pregnant women here on the sight.Eillig(or something like that)for one, is also pregnant. You should start a journal. I'll help to keep you true to maintenance. I know they are now recommending a high protein low carb diet for pregnant women now anyway. So, you're already ahead of the game!
And don't forget your folic acid!

I'll look for your journal,
Heather

Congrats again!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Aussie Jo, I'd be careful of Splenda, it contains traces of arsenic and other heavy metals. There is a web site that details all this, I'll try to find it and let you know.
Congratulations on Number 3. I have two and I am umming and ahhing about having another, I think 3 would be very different from the easy 2. How old are your others?
There is an excellent Australian LC forum that might be useful to you, many of the members are in Sydney and some are mothers. It's at www.pictureofhealth.com.au
Might see you there.
Cali
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 17:45

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 145/120/125
BF:
Progress: 125%

jo
i felt the same way. I start atkins in May of 2000 at 170 - hit my goal of 130 in Sept. of 2000. I maintained ... or i thought i was. my weight stayed between 130 and 135 and all my new cloths were fitting fine and i was still buying size 6 - 8. Then toward the end of 2001 i realized that my "sexy" cloths didn't fit anymore and most of my cloths were gettign tight around the waist and theighs .... i had gained back to 145!!!

So here i am - back on induction and i'm doing great - i'm down to 135 and this time i'm going to 125 as my goal. my lesson learned is that even though i felt great and looked great - it didn't mean i could go back to eatting pasta and bread and sugar. I cringe to think of the many many times i ate out last year and had bread with dinner .... or had desert when i really had no desire. it's a lifestyle thing and this time i hope to do it for good!

Hang in there!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:11
Registered Member

BF:
Default My kids

Calli,

Will do the journal, though not sure how frequent my updates will be. I work 5 days a week and as I said I have the two kids. The eldest was 3 last August and the younger one turns 2 in March. Number 3 is due in October.

So as you can see I am run off my feet. Will check out the other site you suggested, so thanks for the information.

Good luck with your own Low Carbing.

Cheers

Jo
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 19:12

Plan: none
Stats: 176/135/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
Aussie Jo, I'd be careful of Splenda, it contains traces of arsenic and other heavy metals. There is a web site that details all this, I'll try to find it and let you know.
Congratulations on Number 3. I have two and I am umming and ahhing about having another, I think 3 would be very different from the easy 2. How old are your others?
There is an excellent Australian LC forum that might be useful to you, many of the members are in Sydney and some are mothers. It's at www.pictureofhealth.com.au
Might see you there.
Cali

Cali did you ever find that website?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 03:15

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 207/198/145 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 15%

I fell off the wagon so hard yesterday! Am so angry with myself!!! I've only been on induction for a week, and yesterday I went out and binged on McDonalds!

I lost 4 pounds during the first week of induction (probably all back now!). Is that not too slow? I also can't seem to get into ketosis!

I am soooooo frustrated!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 19:26

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacey
I fell off the wagon so hard yesterday! Am so angry with myself!!! I've only been on induction for a week, and yesterday I went out and binged on McDonalds!

I lost 4 pounds during the first week of induction (probably all back now!). Is that not too slow? I also can't seem to get into ketosis!

I am soooooo frustrated!!!!

No, it's not slow at all; you had a wonderful first week, especially for someone without a ton to lose. So just jump back on the wagon and have another wonderful week, okay? Remember that the only way to make one bad day insignificant, is to be in this for the long haul.