Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 17:08

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Honestly I was excited to see she had citations with her article but the first one I read said 10 mg of vinegar reduced post prandial glucose by 10%. That's great right?

But then it said when taken with monosaccharides, it had no effect.

Sources of monosaccharides are:

-Fructose (in fruits, vegetables, and honey)

-Glucose: Small amounts are found in some fruits, vegetables and honey

-Galactose (from digestion of lactose)

-Digestion and conversion of other carbohydrates

also derived from the digestion of sucrose

So are they saying that post prandial glucose only goes down when vinegar is taken with proteins and fats? Sounds like it doesn't work in the presence of carbohydrates...and I don't have time right now to read the other citations...

edit: ok I lied, I looked at one more citation.
The first citation (I had looked at the 2nd citation previously) says it was effective in diabetics with high glycemic diets but not with low glycemic diets.

🙃 I hope I read one of those wrong. I'll reread later.

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Wed, May-31-17 at 17:13.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 18:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

OK I reread, and the conclusion of the one that talked about monosaccharides was that vinegar reduces PPG by 20%, not 10%, when ingested with a meal comprised of complex carbohydrates. So apparently I didn't read it right.

(this is from the Amy Berger article)

Right now I am going to shut up until I have time to read the whole thing carefully!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 20:22

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I make sure to have some vinegar before a meal that includes anything starchy. It's my understanding that that's when it's most effective for a diabetic. Not sure if I got that from Dr. Fung or just various sources.

I've been reading a lot about the liver and weight loss lately too and vinegar, and/or lemon juice keep coming up as part of good practice.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 03:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In the early Dr Fung graphics about insulin and obesity, he would show fiber and vinegar though he doesn't mention it as much lately. Then recently Megan Ramos said on Fasting Talk that she uses ACV to help the "gut bugs", and that got me re-started. That old trick of eating something sour if craving something sweet works (for me) when fasting too...if hungry try 2T ACV in water, sometimes I add acacia fiber as well. Have no idea if this is beneficial or not for my "microbiome" but I haven't gotten sick, my digestive track is fine and it seems to stop hunger for me...or the taste is just so gross

In the Complete Guide of Fasting the list of fasting fluids does include adding vinegar, lemon, limes, and salt to water. He also lists six herbal teas, to which can be added coconut oil, cinnamon, lemon, butter, HWC, and more.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-01-17 at 07:34.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 05:42

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I eat a lot of the stuff IN my food, salad or raw sliced vegetables every day with vinegar, spices and some olive oil (rather than oil based dressing I guess mine is vinegar based) also add to almost all stirfry bowls. I used it at first to substitute for "salty" as my BP was high but later on when it came down on account of weight loss and eating different I contiue to go thru about a gallon every 2 months or so. I few oz a day I guess...

#21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 10:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Bragg's the best! It has THE MOTHER.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 11:20

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Oh, this makes me homesick! We used to make our own ACV with our own A and THENEIGHBORHOODMOTHER. Here I cannot find it (the ACV, not the MOTHER) There's wine vinegar, and fake acetic acid vinegar, but no ACV. WIll keep asking and looking.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 12:13

BF:

Bragg's is over-priced and over-hyped
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 12:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yeah, Bragg's is my choice for home-made salad dressings or in certain stir fries, and it's great in bone broth. It's a bad mother . . . . (Shut your mouth!)

Ok, having a Shaft flashback . . . .
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 12:59

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I take a couple tbls. every morning with my vitamins and supplements. I dilute it with water and add pink salt (I don't get enough in my diet) and my no-salt potassium dose. Sometimes I throw in a frozen homemade bone broth cube or two. It makes a nice savoury drink!
I have had some kombucha go vinegary on me so I mix that in as well - adds a nice flavour. There are more and more 'vinegar drinks' showing up at health food stores and even Costco.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 14:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

If you don't feel you can afford Bragg's, and just go for the supermarket ACV, be aware that this is often just plain distilled vinegar flavored with apple. Even something as "simple" as vinegar requires label reading LOL. Bragg's is not the only one out there, just the best known; check at a health food store or online; you might find other brands of raw ACV. If you are inclined in this direction you can also easily make your own, as long as you have access to apples (organic/unsprayed). Not difficult at all, but has a long-ish wait time for the first batch.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 17:44

BF:

DH and I like saying THE MOTHER in our Sean Connery voices.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 20:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I confess I'm crazy, but I just take a tablespoon of ACV straight up. I use the Vitacost brand (just like Bragg's but cheaper). After the initial burn, it calms down my whole digestive tract. I don't do it every day but am working on it.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 22:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
...It's a bad mother . . . . (Shut your mouth!)

Ok, having a Shaft flashback . . . .

now that was a real LOL - I laughed out loud haha. Thanks Rob - good reference - hit my funny bone.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 04:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
I confess I'm crazy, but I just take a tablespoon of ACV straight up. I use the Vitacost brand (just like Bragg's but cheaper). After the initial burn, it calms down my whole digestive tract. I don't do it every day but am working on it.

When I did that the back of my throat was saying, "Hey! That thing you did? Yeah, it kind of upset us. We went like and I know it seemed like that part went away but we all all still going and I know you don't want to do that again Right?"

All day.

Not doing it again.