Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-12, 04:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/165.2/125 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/38%/25%
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseethesun
Hello all Thank you so much for this thread! I have never understood the importance of fat when doing low carb diets until I read this! I have added two tbspoon of olive oil to my two scrambled eggs this morning! Hop eI am doing it right, but my question is... how do you know your percentage? I saw people saying they eat 70% fat 25% Protein and 5% carbs. How do I know how many percent of fat I eat? Is there a counter online somewhere?

Hi there! You can use any nutritional counter online - I choose to use the "My P.L.A.N." counter here on the site (you'll see the yellow text on the green bar above this forum) - enter your foods as accurately as you can and it will let you know what your percentages are.

Another way to get easy fat in is to eat a tablespoon of coconut oil - it's solid below 23C/73F, tasteless and odourless, and you can swallow it down or add it to salads the way you would any other oil.

Don't forget about the awesomest low carb foods of all: macadamia nuts (which are expensive, I know - but 1 oz is 200 calories and a WHACK of fat, plus a bit of fibre and protein) and avocadoes - which have fantastic levels of fat as well as fibre and vitamins and all the good stuff that comes with fruit.

Best of luck in your journey!!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 05:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/132 Female 1.65 cm
BF:
Progress:

So sorry katchan totally missed this post, still getting used to the forum. I have bought some of those nuts they are delishhhh. Am going to get some coconut oil also. I have read that people who are in the induction should only have a fat intake of 65% instead of 70 is that true? Am hearing so many different opinions, its hard to know what is right...
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 06:02

Stats: 185/165.2/125 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/38%/25%
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseethesun
So sorry katchan totally missed this post, still getting used to the forum. I have bought some of those nuts they are delishhhh. Am going to get some coconut oil also. I have read that people who are in the induction should only have a fat intake of 65% instead of 70 is that true? Am hearing so many different opinions, its hard to know what is right...

There is no hard and fast rule. You have to determine what level is best for you - if you don't feel well on a higher fat intake then you need to lower it. If you don't lose weight on a lower fat intake you may need to raise it. As I've mentioned to others in the forum, it's not magic, it's science - and science is all about the trial and error

Dr Atkins didn't specify fat percentages, but if you're eating on-plan, you should be eating about 5/20/75 (carb/protein/fat). I find I lose better (and feel better) at 5/15/80 - but I'm very carb-sensitive and every little bit will throw me off track.

My recommendation just from my experience is that you should keep a strict eye on what you take in, including measurements/weights (when they say "four ounces of meat" you should be sure you have four ounces, and aren't just guessing, for instance), keeping track of the percentages of carb/pro/fat, and after a week gauge your progress. If you're happy with the progress you're making, then by all means stick with it. If you're not, tweak it a little - increase the fats and see what happens. If that works, you're home free; if it doesn't, fiddle some more.

Good luck!! You can do this
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 06:57

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinhat
Most processers will put beef tallow or pork fat in the ground venison too, which makes it really useful. I make a lot of venision chili - with either ground or the roast meat. Me, I love a medium rare steak, and properly marinated, I like venison as good as any.

Hello, I've been stalking for a few days and couldn't help getting a chuckle out of your Bambi problem. I live in Iowa, in the boonies, so deer season is a special occasion here, people go crazy, take vaction time and ruin marriages just to go hunting. My oldest is 13, he's got his first deere tag, youth get to hunt early here, so weve been working on that. We have loads of deer too, our farm is right next to a large state forest, plus with all these corn, been and alfalfa farmers, they breed like bunnies here. We have a small corn field, a small bean field, some alfalfa, all right next to the big grass hay field and year round running spring and, some timber for shelter. Ya, BF thinks this out when he plants his crops, he's happy to feed them as long as he gets to shoot them. He has a critter camera and puts it up here and there to see where they are feeding and what time. He's getting excited and its crazy.

We do grind our deer meat with beef tallow to up the fat, add flavor and make it easier to cook/handle. Its good stuff, my BF doesn't like to eat deer even though he's one of those that will drop reality to go kill some. I mix the deer burger with ground beef so he doesn't notice the difference. The way I see it, if we kill it, we should eat it. Ok, I don't eat rats, coons or possums, every girl has a line she won't cross (tried the coon last fall, it was awful).

We eat a lot of wild game, I'm glad I don't live in an area that has issues with that. Squirrel season is open, rabbit, turkey, quail will be opening soon. Open deer is December 1st. I'm getting excited thinking about it.

To help up my fats since wild game tends to be lean, I fry a lot of it, but roll it in pork rinds then fry it. Soaks up some of the frying fat, good stuff! I do the same with shrimp tails, chicken breast and anthing I want to fry!

People would be better off if they ate more wild game. We eat a lot of fresh caught catfish, blue gill, bass, turtle, perch. It helps keep the grocery costs down and the freezer full although I do love my pork, beef, chicken and shrimp

I am wanting to up my fat and get my protien down too. I'm not all that far from my goal and I've always found it hard to loose the weight. I have issues with upping my calories but I have to to get the fat in, and get enough protien without going over.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/132 Female 1.65 cm
BF:
Progress:

thank you katchan. i usually stick with around 70 percent of fat more than thah makes me feel ill like yesterday and i had terrible stomach ache and loose stool. it is also yellow which mean sit moves through my intestines too quickly. i think this is causing me to loose weight faster but i might be wrong. i wasnt able to eat much today and ended up with 85 fat 13 protein and 2 carbs. i made myself eat dinner even though i wasnt hungry but i needed to get more veg carbs. unfortunately i also ate oil and mayo which upped my fat intake. but i am not feeling sick at all. hope i will still lose weight, 85% fat is very high for me. thank you for all your sharing katchan and everyone else.
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 11:37

Plan: Atkins/Suzanne Somers
Stats: 143/129/110 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Quick ketosis cheesecake

1 8oz pkg full fat cream cheese
4 tbs mct oil
1/2 cup full fat heavy cream
3/8 tsp liquid stevia
1/8 tsp ez sweetz
1 tbs lemon juice

Mix together and chill.
Makes 4-400 cal servings or 8-200 cal servings.
Very creamy and delicious! Great way to up the fats.
  #157   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 12:01

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

This thread reminded me of when I was a kid. I ate peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches all the time. Dont knock it till you try it. Anyways I dont eat bread anymore but thought about the combination for fat content.
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-12, 05:39

Plan: Mostly meat
Stats: 215/193/150 Female 63in
BF:
Progress: 34%

This thread is awesome. People exchanging tried and true ideas and helping each other lose fat!
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-14, 11:38

Stats: 200/150/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Increasing my fat ratio is working

I have lurked around this site for years. I tend to come back to it when I find that I need motivation and since it is the beginning of a new year I figured that there is no time like now to get my butt back in gear. I am through day two of dramatically increasing my fat percentage and have found what others have-that it works. I have lost two pounds in two days.

I have eaten low carb for 15 years and went from 200 to an all time low of 129 pounds about seven years ago. I was back up to about 160 and figured that I needed to buckle down and do it right. My blood sugar levels have been fine but I have been eating too many carbs to maintain my goal weight. I hope that this experiment of increasing my fat will be a way to get back to where I need to be. I am not doing the fat fast in that I am not limiting my caloric intake to 1000 per day, rather I am eating small portions of foods that are high in fat and as such I am going to try to do this for longer than the standard fast period. I want to find out if I can sustain this way of eating.

I am very grateful that this site exists and that others are willing to put into writing their experiences so that others may learn from them.
  #160   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 06:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleo modified
Stats: 230/199/155 Female 5ft-6inchs
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by techhunter
Yep, that's pretty much this "Optimal Diet" idea. I have ALWAYS lost best with fat, but my proteins have slowly crept up, because hey, they're low carb! :P
It's on the Optimum Diet website. It involves ratios specific to each person, but the gist of it was that you want to ratio your Proteins:Fats:Carbs as 1(P):2-2.5(F):.3-.8(C). So, for me, this meant to maintain my weight, I would take my ideal weight (130 right now) and convert it to kg (59 for me) that's how many grams protein you need in a day, I think. Then you base your fat and carbs off of that, so mine would be 59g:118-147g:18-47g(P:F:C). I have scaled this down calorie wise, as that's what they recommend on the website, and have stayed at about 1:1-1.5:.4 every day this past week. I've gone from 161 to 153.2

Fat is my friend..........fat is my friend........fat is my friend........:P

Thank you for posting those ratios! I've been stalled for a week and I believe I've been eating too much protein! I'll let you know how this works for me.
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 12:24

Plan: LC
Stats: 182/171/140 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 26%

Love this thread.
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 17:05

Plan: IF
Stats: 198.5/178/140 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yes, More fat means more weight loss!
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 19:12

Plan: LC
Stats: 182/171/140 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Bear
Yes, More fat means more weight loss!

And it is satisfying
  #164   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 16:40

Plan: lchf
Stats: 190/164/130 Female 5' 2 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default stalled

I have been on a lchf diet since Aug 15. I lost 23 lbs and 8 weeks ago I stopped losing even tho I was doing the same thing and not cheating. I was going thru alot of stress but that's been overwith. Under 1300 cal and 15 carbs. I seemed to go over on protein but not fats. It is so frustrating. This is my first post so I am not sure what I can do. I hear that u say more fats but it seems the calories go up to much. Suggestions? Thanks2

Last edited by synthiaMe : Tue, Dec-27-16 at 17:34. Reason: spelling
  #165   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 23:13

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthiaMe
I have been on a lchf diet since Aug 15. I lost 23 lbs and 8 weeks ago I stopped losing even tho I was doing the same thing and not cheating. I was going thru alot of stress but that's been overwith. Under 1300 cal and 15 carbs. I seemed to go over on protein but not fats. It is so frustrating. This is my first post so I am not sure what I can do. I hear that u say more fats but it seems the calories go up to much. Suggestions? Thanks2

I would drop the protein back a little very 4 days to see if you start loosing again. Your body gets used to low carbing. It can learn to change your excess protein that your body isn't using into carbs. It took me years to figure this out. Don't increase your protein because the excess gets turned into sugar that you body wants. Cut back on the protein, increase the fats and veggies. It will probably increase your total calories, but your body will not be able to create sugar from fats. Try it and see if it doesn't break the stall.