Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 10:07

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Coconut oil will give your metaabolism a boost. Read the book Coconut Oil Miracle. I don't believe it is hype at all. I have tried several tweaks to help break a stall or reverse my sudden weight gain and coconut oil and Intermittent Fasting have been there to help me. It doesn't matter if coconut oil was ever mentioned in Dr. Atkins books but he does say that the only fat we need to avoid was transfat.I do believe that if the subject ever came up, he would be in support of it.

Just a brief run-down. Coconut oil has antifungal,antibiotic and anti-viral properties. It protects the heart and it improves cholesterol levels by raising HDL without raising LDL cholesterol.It softens the skin even with injesting it only. I can attest to this as my skin once had scaley patches. I was always buying stuff to soften the patches. Then all of a sudden I noticed the patches were gone. My fungal toenails are in better condition, not cured but they have been clearing up. It also protects the skin from sun damage and it improves sun damaged skin.

Coconut oil also improves thyroid function.
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org I have been using it regularly since April, but I have also used it sporatically previously. It has not caused any weight gain. Since April, I have lost 10 lbs although coconut oil did not make me lose 10 lbs. I do believe that it helped my body to lose 10 lbs. Coconut oil isn't a cure for anything. It helps the body to heal itself and to improve health. I feel that I am a testimonial to using it. I also use coconut milk in fruit smoothies. I try to make it as much a part of my diet as I do avocadoes, steak and turnip greens.I first learned about coconut oil in a "now defunct" low carb magazine. I found the information a transforming experience...perfect for my low carb lifestyle. I can't credit it completely with my weightloss but I can say that it has not hindered it. I can also say that it did not make me gain weight. I get in about 3 1/2 tablespoons a day. I use it in cooking,smoothies and in my coffee.I began using it on my skin is even more improved. This is my little essay on coconut products. I want to add that nothing works overnight. It takes time to observe any benefits but if entire cultures have proven coconut oil's long term benefits, it is worth trying.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 05:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/124/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I'm starting to think that like anything else, CO success has a lot to do with your individual body chemistry and metabolism. I haven't had an energy rush since using it, I haven't lost any weight - perhaps these are linked and those that do feel hot and energetic after ingesting it are the ones it works really well for.

I don't personally like the coconut research page because the person endorsing it is pretty biased and so I read the original research papers and they show a much more modest picture of CO benefits. Yes, researchers could see beneficial differences, but small ones and not in all cases. I buy that. And this tells me it's worth trying and paying attention to your body and seeing if you feel benefits and it's wonderful if you do.

Personally, I'm crazy about it on my skin! I mean I love the stuff as body oil and my skin just glows when using it. But inside my body it doesn't seem to do anything positive, and actually makes me a bit ill. I'm still experimenting with different varieties, but I think it's just this kind of fat in general that doesn't do it for my digestive system. I'm a bit bummed though because man I could use an energy rush!!
  #198   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 22:23

Plan: high-pro
Stats: 100/200/300 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'd agree with that.

The body metabolizes MCTs a little differently than other fats; for the first week or so, there will be a slight metabolic boost. After that, the body adjusts to the difference and it goes away.

It's yummy stuff though and I could eat cocoa powder + coconut oil all day.
  #199   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 05:49
Registered Member

Stats: 178/161/145 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 52%

I went out yesterday and bought some VCO at my local health food store. While there I also had my RMR read, he had a machine to breathe into, it took about 10 minutes. I have been curious about what mine is. It was 1580, which is a little higher than the caculated one. He also sold me a supplement, at this point he could have sold me dirt if he would have told me it would help me lose 10 pounds. I am anxious to try the VCO after reading this thread. I hope I have good results. I will start slowly and build up. I actually like the taste of the stuff! How is everyone else doing with it? Still working? Also did you replace/omit something in your diet to compensate for the extra calories? I am worried a little about all the calories, so I am switching to half and half in my coffee and omiting my sausage with my eggs in the mornings. Not sure if I should even worry about that or not. Thanks for the info!
Donna
  #200   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 14:05

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Bumping....
  #201   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 15:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/173/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default tried for the first time today.

I put 1 table spoon in my coffee today. This was the first time ever having the stuff.

I cleaned my house and took a 2mile walk.

Taking advantage of the fact my three sons were gone for the day, I tried to take a nap and could'nt.

Not bad!

Last edited by aboutime : Tue, May-27-08 at 15:28. Reason: spelling
  #202   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 08:09

Plan: atkins, low carb
Stats: 245/227/125 Female 5'2.5
BF:
Progress: 15%

I too bought CO at my local health food store yesterday. LOL
I used it this morning as the oil for my eggs and turkey sausage. Had a little left over in the spoon and put rubbed it on my arms and face. I have use CO before for my skin, but first time to use with food. Coffe.. I will have to try it. I hope I get good result from it. I guess time will tell...
Should I keep it in the frig or in the cabinet???
  #203   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 08:21

Stats: 316/275/260 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'll have to check this out, couple people I know take it and swear by it
  #204   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 16:23

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

When I first started low carbing I noticed a lot of people on this forum who were using coconut oil seemed to do really well in terms of the speed at which they were taking off weight. This was about four years ago? something like that. I REALLY wanted to use it but for me the taste was off so I ended up having to stay with butter or olive oil. But I was really disappointed not to be able to integrate it because I've seen people do well with it.
  #205   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 16:33

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Coconut Oil has been "belly-belly" good to me so far (first week)! I hope it keeps helping.
  #206   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 12:33
Registered Member

Stats: 185/178/135 Female 5 feet, 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Ohhh! I can't wait to get some cco tonight. I have had a stall for awhile, and I do have a bit of a yeast problem. I never heard of this for yeast before. I'll see what happens...
  #207   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee60
Should I keep it in the frig or in the cabinet???
I keep mine in the pantry. It's the coolest place in the kitchen. It stays solid hard white there. I find our local Indian Grocers the cheapest place for Coconut oil About £1 £1.50 a 500mg pot. Health food shops tend to over a £5 for the same amount. I think the Health food version tastes more coconutty but as I use it for frying my breakfast bacon and eggs the cheapo stuff is fine. I used it for frying my kofta's tonight and they were great.

The only trouble I find is that it spits a bit so I have to clean the cooker after frying.

I think using Coconut oil may have been the reason my weight loss was so speedy. I can't think of any other reason.
  #208   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: IF Ketogenic
Stats: 265/218/165 Female 67 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 47%

Thought I would post a recipe for making "candies" with coconut oil. Don't know if something similar has been posted yet since I haven't made it through all 14 pages of this thread.

http://insearchofahealthylife.blogs...ut-candies.html
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 18:19

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

That really sounds good, you can substitute flax seeds for the seeds.... I make my coconut bark with flax seeds and it makes it crunchy....love it!

Thanks for the recipe....

TJ
  #210   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-08, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: IF Ketogenic
Stats: 265/218/165 Female 67 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 47%

I have used all sorts or seeds and nuts. Right now I am using almond slices and finely shredding coconut. Use whatever you like!!

Oh, and you can sweeten it with the Davinci or Torani syrups too if you want.