Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I don't track macros, except for carbs. I try to keep them under 30, and they usually end up under about 25. I've been a wellness coach for years, and have a pretty good guess how much protein I'm getting from pretty much anything, but the fat was harder to figure out.

My baseline for calories, pre-LCHF, was about 1400-1500/day, and I weighed 189 at my highest. Now I eat about 1800-2100/day, and have, since April, lost 12 pounds I'd regained by chowing on dried fruit this past winter. A combo of stress related to concussion rehab and lower thyroid function probably led to that. Exhaustion is not a good state to make good choices!

I have had Herbalife shakes for breakfast (and lunch, usually) for well over a decade, and didn't want to stop that. So I modified it to drop the carbs by 3, and started adding a big bloop of heavy cream to it. I make sure that I get extra fat with everything I eat, and it's probably about 200 cal/meal, or 22 grams/meal more.

So long as it keeps working, I'll keep doing it.

If you can deal with the language (my background is nursing, so I'm used to reading nutrition jargon) read, or reread Gary Taubes GCBC. Especially, read the chapters where he goes into detail about how our bodies' need for homeostasis creates a vastly different profile in burning calories, and the source of the calories burned, when in ketosis VS insulin use.

We all were fed a lot of garbage, when the real meat was out there. But it was not being published, because a handful of dominant, charismatic men were able to push their specious science to the forefront.

OH! I get so angry sometimes. I'm a smart person, and I understand the science. And I still, for decades, ate the way that the prevailing "wisdom" told me to. What's worse, I taught my kid to eat that way, too.