Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 16:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/246/200 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: -10%
Unhappy Something has to be wrong with me!

I've been coming to this forum for a few years now. I've tried atkins to a "T" and no weight loss. I've tried a modified atkins and nothing. I've tried a fat fast and 4lbs in 2 weeks. I've had my thyroid checked and nothing is wrong with it. Now I've switched to the southbeach diet and after almost 2 weeks I've lost nothing. I just don't know what is wrong. Here is a link to my fitday menu journal

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...tyronepatterson

If anyone wants to take a look at what I have been eating and give me some advice I would sure like it.

BTW. I also take a multivitamins and CoQ10 each and everyday..

Last edited by tyronepatt : Wed, Jun-02-04 at 16:30.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 17:23

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

After reading your FitDay entries for the past few days....I wonder about all the cheese you're eating. Some people cannot lose weight no matter how hard they try....when they include dairy products. Cheese seems to be the biggest offender....you could have a sensitivity or intolerance that manifests itself this way. Try a week or two without dairy products and see if it makes any difference.

I also wonder about the contents of your "vegetable quiche cups". More cheese?

I also saw no mention of what you drink each day. How's your fluid intake? Lots of water, I hope. It really makes a difference.

You might also consider having your thyroid checked AGAIN. I've been hypothyroid for nearly 37 years....and I find that what I need changes according to my dietary habits. Also...you might have a thyroid problem and not show it in any standard testing. It might be wise to get a second opinion.

Take care...good luck...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 17:30

BF:

I will try the no cheese thing. I also drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 19:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Stillmans
Stats: 150/143/120 Female 5'7
BF:26%/24%/18%
Progress: 23%

I too looked at your menu and noticed that you do eat a lot of cheese. I have found that cheese effects me and will stall me out. I usually save cheese for one day a week and limit it to 4 oz.
Also I would try to drink more than 8 oz. of water, water helps flush out the fat.
Stick to it and good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 11:11

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Exclamation

I feel for you - have a very similar situation myself... some of the culprits that people suspect (not that they've all made it into mainstream science yet):

- medications you're taking (steroidal stuff and some antidepressant type things are notorious for interfering with weight)
- yeast problems (tons of threads on that here)
- food intolerances (grains, dairy, soy, etc. ... that's one reason why something like the 'meat fast' that's talked about on this forum might be helpful for some)
-thyroid (blood tests don't necessarily tell the whole story... can do a temperature test... see www.brodabarnes.org for more info, I'd get their free info packet... also www.thyroid.about.com)
- something else as-yet undiscovered**

** I think that's a HUGE category... does anyone have thoughts on what if anything is contributing to the weight problem in the U.S. and elsewhere - aside from the usual portion sizes and too-much-of-this-or-that and too-little-exercise argument? There seems to be a sizable contingent of people whose bodies just don't agree to lose weight despite their following accepted diets and 'doing all the right things' - I wonder if this was the case 100, 200 years ago??? Any social/historical statisticians around?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 10:39

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking

I had a hard time losing at first and had stalled out my weight loss for 3 dreadfully long weeks. What helped me is drinking almost 2 gallons of water every day. Since I've started that I've lost 6lbs in 4 days. It's absolutely great to see the scale going down again. Do you exercise or do any sort of strength training? Once I incorporated exercise into my life my weight loss slowed down but the inches kept coming off. Sometimes it's not about the weight but how things are changing and how you're feeling. But your thyroid is not the only thing that affects your metabolism. Is it possible there is some other internal culprit that is slowing your metabolism? Any caffiene or medications in your system that could affect weight loss? I was on celexa for 2 months and gained 15lbs despite being on Atkin's. I kicked that out the door and lost the weight with no problem. I wish you the best of luck and hope you drop some weight soon. I know how frustrating it can be when you have the motivation to lose weight and nothing gives results. STICK WITH IT! IT'S WORTH IT!

~ Cori ~
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 10:46

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking

Of course I posted before reading through your fitday journal. It looks to me like you're not getting enough calories. I know Atkin's says that you're not supposed to count calories because for the most part, people don't have trouble getting enough when they are allowed to eat as much as they want. I lift weights 3 times a week so I keep an eye on how much protein I take in daily and also how many calories I consume. I try to get at least %75 of my calories from fat. I try to get in AT LEAST 120g of protein daily. Carbs sometimes vary from 20-50 and I still lose weight. I eat at least 2-3 tablespoons of butter on my LC toast in the morning. 2Tbl of full fat mayo in my egg omlette along with 2Tbl butter in the pan. It's a fatty greasy meal that tastes awesome! Eat whole foods, eat unprocessed meats. You are at a higher weight, you need more calories and more food. I would try throwing an extra tablespoon of butter on your eggs, tablespoon of olive oil on your salad. Anything you can to get the fat in. EAT EAT EAT!
Thanks for listening to my uneducated 2 cents

~ Cori ~
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 14:41

BF:

Thank you all for your support I am going to return and post my results in this thread in 2 weeks. In that time I am going to eat my chicken breasts with my baby spinach and lots of olive oil and I will shoot for 1 - 1.5 gallons of water per day. Currently I am on no meds what so ever and I do take a multivitamin a day and 2 tbls of coconut oil.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 22:14
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Have you tried tinkering with your calorie intake? I had exactly the same problem and then increased my calories (I was only getting 1,000-1,300 on an average day). Lost 4 pounds the first week, then stalled again for a few weeks till I charted out my FitDay entries and realized I'd gone right back to undereating. Readjusted my calories again, and started losing immediately. I've decided I'll do whatever it takes to keep it at 1,750-1,900 a day for now.