Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/low sodium/no sugar!
Stats: 155/140/130
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default I NEED SUPPORT!

I'm not feeling physically very good today everybody. I began lowcarbing August 2001 and did so well until recently. I tried a recipe for low carb chocolate pudding and overdid it to the extent that I've gained six pounds! When I go home tonite you can bet the leftover ingredients will be discarded. Also need to say goodbye to any sugar replacement products, I just can't handle them! And I sure don't want to go out and buy new clothing!!

I'm open to hearing of anyone else's experience regarding this. And especially any suggestions regarding losing this weight that I've gained. How distressing besides being uncomfortable!!

Looking forward to hearing from anybody --

jan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 07:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sugar substitutes

I myself can't use them. I read somewhere that when you eat something sweet ( sugar or substitute) that your body recognizes the taste (not the source) and releases insulin. This would explain going on a binge. Here's what I think- the main problem with someone that is addicted to carbohydrates, is that they are addicted. Once you start you can't stop.
After a binge your body then stores water to get the poisin out. Start back with your next bite and you will soon be back on track and the water weight should come off quickly too. Insulin is a tricky thing, I guess that's another reason why diabetics do so well on this WOL. Just my opion though. I've given up the fake sugar as well as the real stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Absolutely! Artificial sweeteners along with some other LC foods are a slippery slope for me. I've finally realized that I have to avoid them, but does that mean I've learned?

It's one of my favourite subjects. We had a short discussion about it here.

Musings on Carb Addiction

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 11:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Karen,

I really appreciated the way you expressed yourself. Glad to know I'm not alone!! I'm going to check out the web site you mentioned.

Jan
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 13:33

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default sugar

I gave up on my jello and crystal light. I heard about all of the "hidden carbs" and am trying to learn my lesson as well.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 14:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default KEEP IT SIMPLE

Hi Kassy,

Thanks for sharing about giving up jello and crystal light. Hearing from other people who are on the same path is the best medicine I can take!

Good for you for giving up both products. Have any recipes you can share with me? I'm eager to stay the course and reach my goals. I'm always looking to try new chicken recipes!

Jan
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 07:40
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up I CAN DO IT!!

Love this forum! Thanks to everyone's encouragement, I'm down 3 lbs, and am back on track. Cleaned out the refrig and storage areas of all artificial sugar products this weekend. I do hope I don't trip up with another experience of trying to incorporate sugar in my food plan. Well, one day at a time, I trust I'll make it!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Smile

I need to know more about the Crystal Light and Jello business. I just bought a whole bunch of both just for something different. I do not add anything except water to both items. Are they bad choices to have on this lifestyle?

Pearl
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 03:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

If you find yourself craving artificially sweetened foods, I would say yes. If you can "live without them" and have them only occasionally as a break from routine, I would say your safe.

But, this is something that only you will discover by trying them. It's part of how your present way of eating becomes a way of life.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 02:11

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default One of the lucky ones, I guess

I can handle the artificial sweeteners better than some, apparently. I keep Splenda in the house at all times for use on my hot cereal (YAY FLAXOMEAL!) at breakfast; I have Crystal Light in the cupboard but I make it only occasionally; I buy sugar-free Jello for sprinkling over cream cheese or sometimes even for preparing as it's supposed to be. However, I can't say I *crave* any of these things. Having the Splenda in the morning doesn't make me *have* to have sweet stuff the rest of the day. I understand that for some folks it does.

I'll go for a few days without having anything really dessert-ish, and then I'll make a cheesecake. Most often I'll cut it into servings, and then freeze most of them to use as I desire. It works great for me; I can take out a container and tuck it into my lunchbox, and by lunchtime it's thawed and ready to eat.

I think with A/S, as with so many things, the most important lesson to learn is how *you* react to them. It takes experimentation, and you have to be willing to accept a few setbacks in the name of learning, but it's all worth it in the end.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 10:23

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

i would add that if artificial sweeteners are "safe" or not is not really something easily decided in a week or month or even six months. If, like so many people, upon reaching goal weight, we go back to eating sugar and flour, then only at that point is it sometimes possible to look back and say, "oops--the artificial sweeteners and LC tortillas kept my addictions alive." Regaining dozens of pounds then restarting with slower rates of loss is a tough price to pay for the lesson, but at least it's a lesson learned, then! In other words, there are short term issues (will this stall me or cause insulin surges) and long-term issues (is this just another facet of a lifelong addiction?) Neither long- nor short-term issues are easy for anyone else to decide for you. YMMV, and there is nothing to do but experiment, be honest about the results, and learn from our mistakes.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Smile

I have yet to add any artifical sweetners to anything. Before my diet I had tried them once and the taste was gross to me so I can not bear to put them on anything.

Pearl
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 13:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Default Hi I'm back

Thanks razzle, your insight into things is truely appreciated.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann