Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Searching for weight loss difficulty

I started induction on 2/12. I started on a diuretic for high blood pressure a few days before that. I have been doing 18 hour fasts every other day. None of this is new regarding diet I have been lowcarb for more than a decade.

I have only lost 1lb, when I typically lose 7lbs eating far more carbs.
temp this morning 95.95

I stopped taking the diuretic days ago need a few more days to be gone from my system, my blood pressure is prehypertension and hope weight loss, diet, and exercise will get that back to normal. I have been injured and totally inactive 15 months.

From dandr "at the top of the no no list are diuretic medications. They aggravate diabetes, elevate blood sugar and increase insulin levels, triglycerides and body mass index." The net is full of people saying they gained a lot of weight on these drugs.

My first question is do you think that the drug has some effect on lowering thyroid levels?

My second concern is my actual thyroid. My insurance is limited to a family practioners that take state paid insurance I previously had high reverse T3 of 505 with the normal cut off 300. I was put on T3 only medication to get back to normal. My new dr has me on T4 only. My life is full of problems right now working with disability, lawyers, worker comp doctors, just about the nastiest insurance adjuster going. None of my favorite people are on that list!

I haven't been on T4 only, as my original thyroid diagnosis was very low T3 and lowish T4. It was believed that I had conversion issues.

What is a normal prescription for T4?

I have dealt with nearly a year on 25mcg thyroid tested incredibly low. Then 50mcg told dr I felt really crappy and she recently increased my dosage to 75mcg and am feeling a lot better.

My dr is very sincere in helping and has requested my former endocrinlogists records. I think she might be open to armour.

Do you think taking armour would be a move in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 16:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Nawchem;

I'm sure other posters are far more in the know than I about medications and thyroid issues.

Have you given more thought on creating a journal on here and posting your food on a daily basis? At least then you could rule out any other reason you may not be losing weight?