Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdbobby
Thank you for the quick response.

Let's see if I got this right. Which days would I take 3 capsules?
I meant to say that over 2 days you take 3 capsules 15000iu so you average 7500iu/daily.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 16:47

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Mis,, I choose the Chelated because I have read its absorbed better and causes no tummy upset.... I took it at Lunch and I am fine

I feel like a pain in the butt asking questions, but I also have a nawing need to know as much as I can when it comes to my health and then if I can help others, thats the pricless part of it, then we all can be in good heath
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 16:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I also want to order Magnesium. Biotech has Magnesium Carbonate and I could include it w/ my Vit D order to save on shipping. If that's not a good one I was thinking of ordering Country Life, Chelated Magnesium, 250 mg, 180 Tablets.
I don't know anything about magnesium carbonate so can't comment. I'd rather use a form I knew was useful.

The trouble with the Country Life is that they don't say the magic words Albion Patent nor do they actually specify how much chelate and how much mag oxide are in them.
I think it would be better to go for Solgar or Blue bonnet. They say Albion Chelates (which is what krispin recommends) and they don't have any magnesium that isn't well absorbed. However I have to admit that I found both magnesium malate and magnesium citrate were fine.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 16:59
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Quote:
However we do know for certain that up to 10.000iu daily is absolutely safe even in places where the sun is available all year and 7500iu/d is nicely under that Safe Upper Limit

Sorry, I don't know why I thought you said 50,000 iu was the safe upper limit. I've placed my order for the 5000 iu and will look for the magnesium you mentioned.

Thank you for the detailed info. I'll come back and post an update after I've been taking them for awhile. Later I'm going to order the test kit that you posted the link for. Thanks again!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 17:23
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

I just ordered from iHerb and used the discount code you provided for $5 off and also got free shipping.

Ordered the Solgar, Chelated Magnesium, 250 Tablets.

I'm happy I followed Deb to this thread. I'm looking forward to feeling better.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 17:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know why I thought you said 50,000 iu was the safe upper limit.
Well there are several people who have been taking 50,000iu/daily for a long time and who still seem to be posting without any detriment to their health or apparent impact on their cognitive function. It is theorectically possible that 40,000iu every day for many months with sun exposure could cause such high levels of 25(OH)D that hyercalcemia could occur. But the experience of many people here is that 50,000iu/daily is not dangerous whatever I may say is theoretically possible. I suggest 50,000iu once a week as this is MORE than you body actually requires each day (4000iu meets daily needs 5000iu allows a little spare) and 50,000iu/week averages 7140iu/d which is well under the calculated safe upper limit which is 10,000iu/d (officially it's still 2000iu/d but everyone knows that is ludicrous and is there simply to show how slow health professionals are to come to terms with reality)
Quote:
I've placed my order for the 5000 iu and will look for the magnesium you mentioned.

Thank you for the detailed info. I'll come back and post an update after I've been taking them for awhile. Later I'm going to order the test kit that you posted the link for. Thanks again!
Hope it works out. But do give it time.
There are over 2000 different gene actions in your body governed by vitamin d. That means vitamin d switches on or off these 2000+ different switches. Each switch that isn't switched on at the right time or doesn't switch off when it should causes a different condition.

In your brain alone there are 180 different proteins upregulated by vitamin d, so that accounts for a huge set of brain dysfunction conditions that are all avoidable if we had sufficient vitamin d available all the time to ensure all those protein control switches worked as they should.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-09, 17:48

So I didn't know it had Magnesium Oxide in it, the front says Chelated magnesium....til I looked at the back, SO is the Oxide bad for me, or what should I do? I have read now that the oxide isn't absorbed, then why is it in it, and why do they use it?
I read the 22 reviews and it seem people feel better in many ways.
I just don't want to cause myself harm....with the Oxide, if that what it can do.
I got the company phone number and called but there closed. I will try in the am and see if they can tell me what the % of ea are.
I wish I had known... darn...

Last edited by Hismouse : Wed, Oct-28-09 at 18:57.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-09, 03:52
Registered Member

BF:

Magnesium oxide isn't bad for you and having bought those you may as well use them. Magnesium oxide is the form generally used by health professionals and there is plenty of research showing that repleting magnesium status with the oxide form is better than remaining magnesium deficient. So I have no worries about people using magnesium oxide.

It's just there may be and probably are better forms.

People with Fibromyalgia may well be best advised to use magnesium malate as malic acid not only helps remove aluminium from the body but being a natural fruit acid that is found in many cells in the body is useful for energy production by the mitochondria. When your body absorbs the magnesium it releases the malic acid.

Magnesium Citrate is also well absorbed and helps reduce bone turnover although it's also the form most recommended for those who wish to benefit from it's laxative properties so may be helpful if you have trouble.

So as we don't know how much of the chelate form, or the oxide form, is in the type you chose next time go for a form that is a bit more specific. There is a temptation for manufacturers to use more of the cheap stuff and less of the expensive stuff if they don't have to declare the percentages on the label.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-09, 12:51

I called Country Life and had to leave a message about the % of the chelate and the oxide.
Have to say 2 hrs after taking the Mag, my stomach didn't feel so good, and it continued til I went to bed. I have been very constipated, so who know maybe its from that/ and the Mag Oxide... I woke up alot still, normal for me. But this am out of nowhere I had a 163 for a AM BS. I don't know if Magnesium can do this. I know my body is a mess so .. who knows, I didn't eat anything starches, or with sugar. I had a 106 before dinner and thought that was strange..,,

I don't know I think today I will take the Magnesium at dinner.
I got the D3, and am going to start that Saturday... Is it better to take it in the AM?

Thanks again for all the help..
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-09, 13:22

Ok so Countrylife called me back, she said there is more Chelated than the oxide but said it is a company secret recipe so she couldn't give me %'s of it.... So I guess its a guess, if I am not getting Constipation relief than I can bet there IS More of the Chelated, right
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-09, 03:33
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
Is it better to take it in the AM?
Possibly better in the morning but I doubt it makes much difference.

I think you need to build up your intake of magnesium steadily till you reach the point it works as a laxative. The calcium will be having the opposite effect so keep increasing the magnesium daily by 250mg daily until things get moving.
It is the unabsorbed magnesium that attracts water that makes stools looser so while your body is absorbing the magnesium (because it is deficient) there isn't any being left in the digestive system. So take one more magnesium tablet each day until you reach the point where they are effective as laxatives.
Drink plenty of water.

The constipation is probably a result of taking HCTZ
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-09, 16:29

Yep your right about the HCTZ since I started taking it it has caused constipation. I drink lots of liquids, but some times it just catches up with me.
I am goin to take the D3 in the morning tomorrow. I haven't started the calcium...,. just have a erry feeling about it, I was looking at labs last Yr and my Calcium levels were perfect. I just don't know if I need it... is it a must just because my dr, said to take it, se hasn't checked what my calcium level is.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-09, 16:07
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

My D3 arrived today, wow that was fast. I took 2 - 5000 iu capsules. The Magnesium was already shipped, should be here soon.

I'm planning on doing a lot of research about this and talking to our pediatrician but wanted to get some input here. How do you all feel about giving vitamin d3 to kids. I have a 9 & 13 yr old. The 13 yr old is a big guy, he's almost 6' and weighs almost 200 lbs. He's involved in sports but is taking this yr off from football. They aren't getting a lot of sun right now. They play outside everyday but they been covered up pretty well. My 9 yr old has a hard time concentrating and has mood swings but is a healthy boy.
This article was intersting. I also wonder if they too would need extra magnesium because of what is said here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
You have a doctor who knows what she is doing.
Increasing vitamin D status significantly increases absorption of calcium so you now have more calcium than before.
calcium tenses muscle fibers
calcium excites brain neurones
So more calcium on it's own means possibly muscle cramps feeling mentally tense.
Magnesium relaxes muscle fibres
Magnesium calms the brain neurones.
Most people 68% of USA are magnesium deficient so benefit from extra magnesium. When you didn't have sufficient calcium it didn't make your muscles tighten or your brain feel tense, but improving calcium status reveals or points out the magnesium deficiency state.

http://children.webmd.com/news/2008...-more-vitamin-d

Last edited by msdbobby : Sat, Oct-31-09 at 17:12.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-09, 17:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Well, obviously talk to your pediatrician about this but my kids' pediatrician has had us supplementing since my kids were babies. She told me I was probably vitamin D deficient therefore my milk didn't have enough. She actually sees kids with rickets in my area (Michigan). I give my under 100 pound kids 2000 iu a day and my over 100 kid 5000 iu a day (that's what my husband and I take as well now).
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 04:09
Registered Member

BF:

1000iu daily for each 25lbs weight + 100iu for each extra 2.5lbs.

It doesn't have to be worked out to the last iu for each day.
D3 is inert, it's only converted to the active forms calcidiol calcitriol as required and this takes time.

So you can multiply the daily requirement by 7 and provide that once a week by using the contents of a dry powder capsule (the covers slide apart the fine white powder can be sprinkled in food or mixed into a liquid fish oil)

25(OH)D postal test will check you are providing sufficient to keep status above 55ng/ml 135nmol/l.

This calculator works out sun exposure for 1000iu but remember either the amount of skin exposed to the length of exposure will need adjusting to meet daily requirement in full.