Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 11:46
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default For those of you who count calories

This just dawned on me yesterday while driving back home to Columbus from Cincinnati (1.5 hours so I have a lottt of time to think )....

I was think'n ...what if I applied WW's points to my Atkins way of living? It would be a good way to know the appropriate amount of food I should be eating to lose at my current weight. Now please...no lectures from those of you who don't count calories. There are a few of us who need to do this ....so...what do U calorie counters think about this and has anyone else tried this yet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 12:30

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

It sounds interesting, how would we do it?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 13:19
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well I do have a few unofficial points calculators where you put in the calories, fat and fiber and it calculates the points for you. If you'd like I can PM them to you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 13:48
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I looked into this a while ago. I even found one website that had the WW points formula written out and discovered that the problem with the WW points formula is that while the point value of the food is based primarily on the calorie count (approximately 1 point per 50 calories of food), you are penalized for the item being high fat. That is, for every 12 grams of fat, you have to count one more WW point. So, let's say you are trying to keep to a 1200 calorie diet. If you are eating low-fat, maybe 20% of your calories come from fat, 144 calories. At 9 calories per gram of fat, you are eating about 16 grams of fat a day. That's only about 1.33 extra WW points. However, if you are eating a low-carb but high fat diet where, say 50% of your calories are coming from fat, you are eating 600 calories in fat, 67 grams of fat and an extra 5.5 WW points. Ignoring the fiber portion (high fiber decreases the point value, but by very little) of the calculation. 1200 calories at 20% fat is about 25 points a day. 1200 calories at 50% fat is about 29-30 points a day. Big difference.

I can see the value of using the point system to control your calories, but I think you'd have to sacrifice either a lot of calories or a lot of fat to do low-carb WW.

Val
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 15:13
Low-Carber 4 Life

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 355/232/195 Male 6'0"
BF:(?/<?/<<?)
Progress: 77%

Hi,

There are a few ladies at my workplace that go to WW. They are always comparing notes with me and giving me updates to their progress.

From what I understand there is a new way of following weight-watchers called the core program. It seems to follow a points system for some foods, but the plan overall seems rather low-carb to me.

Sorry I don't have any more information, but perhaps this is something that may help.