Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 02:20

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/180/170 Male 5'112
BF:
Progress:
Default Sports drink for Low Carb cycling

Any ideas for a suitable water bottle drink for a long bike ride?
As opposed to bought electrolyte replacement powders etc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 22:04

Plan: mine
Stats: 260/165/165 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi jludders,

Yep, those shop-bought electrolytic replacement drinks are quite expensive, aren't they? I always question whether they actually do anything significant that you can't do with something as simple as a few drops of lemon juice in water and a sprinkle of salt on your tongue.

When you think about what we lose when we're exercising, it really is down to basically, liquid and salt. Now providing those two are being replaced, you should be fine.

Hope that helps,

Mark
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 07:48

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Thanks

Sounds like a good alternative what sort of ratio's would you recommend and could you use a potassium salt for the mixture?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 21:27

Plan: mine
Stats: 260/165/165 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi jludders!

As we're on a low carb forum, I am of course assuming that you're getting your daily potassium intake from good green vegetables such as broccoli and spinach and so on. Just three good servings of those will give you around about 2,500 to 3,000 mg of potassium each day. Obviously it is important that you maintain a slightly higher potassium to salt ratio. As for salt I would also recommend that you choose a good natural salt without any chemicals added.

The last thing of course, to bear in mind is the ratio of salt and potassium to liquid that you take. After all you want to make up for what is lost, I would assume rather than just correct the imbalance.

So rather than just pick some figures out of the air, it's probably better that you have a look at some of the more accessible scientific literature. Here's an article that should give you most of the answers that you need and if you want anything further, please do come back to me or follow some of the links that you'll find on this website.

Hope that helps,

Mark
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 07:49

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Lots of useful information thank you, I am not a very serious athlete as yet but am trying to get there. The low carb thing is new to me and because cycling has been my main exercise form before going down the low-carb route I am trying to get the best hydration / snack regime for when I build up to longer training. Before starting my low carb regime I have competed in mountain bike events (5hrs) and were cycling a couple of hours at a time a couple of times a week.