Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 13:04

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Anyone try the Kettlebell workout?

I just ordered it and have yet to use it just wondering if anyone else uses it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260.4/237.2/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Is this the one from The FIRM? If so, let me know what you think. I LOVE the FIRm videos and am always looking for more good ones....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 14:35

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

There's several hundred kb workouts you can get, or make up on your own.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-08, 16:25

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't yet but I've been thinking about it or a couple of months. Just wondering if it would aggravate my tendinitis in my shoulder. Some things do and some don't.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260.4/237.2/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I suspect it would. I had shoulder surgery about 1 1/2 years ago and it's still not to full strength. The kettlebell is pretty hard on my shoulder.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 05:45

BF:

Maybe I should just stick to T-Tapp then. I was hoping kettlebell would work because it's such a comprehensive type of workout. No spending hours working out since it incorporates more than one muscle at a time. It's something to keep in mind though.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 199/172.6/175 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

i've been looking into kettlebells and from what i've read it is actually pretty good rehab for shoulders.
Some physiotherapists have been using it to help in the treatment of their patients.
It all seems to come down to technique, if you have poor technique then you are going to have problems. Check out this kettlebell workout forum for more informed opinions on kettlebells.
http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/
Andre
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 19:48

BF:

I wish I could take a class. I feel like I need a live instructor to give me good form tips. I have a feeling it probably wouldn't hurt my shoulder that much but it would all depend on the individual exercise I was doing and also how much weight.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 09:03
Registered Member

BF:

I took the liberty of looking for kettlebell instructors in Houston, here is what i found.

Michael House- mikehouse1968~yahoo.com
Fitness Director at River Oaks Country Club

http://www.kettlebellclub.com/ this one is based in Houston, texas, looks promising.

I am taking an introductory kettlebell course this saturday, i will post what it was like.
Andre
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 05:34

BF:

Thanks Andre. League city is only a few miles from me.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 13:16
Registered Member

BF:

Well i've been doing a kettlebell program for two weeks now and i have to say it is a very intense workout.
I already feel stronger and my pant size is shrinking, my 32's no longer fit me, never thought i would be saying that!
Anyway i highly recommend kettlebells, just be prepared to work hard and the results will come pretty quickly.
Andre
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 06:44

BF:

Looks like this thread has died but I want to keep it alive. Andre if you are still working out with kettlebells please give an update. I called the Kettlebell club near my house in League City about a week before Christmas and they said that they are going to be having another workshop in February. I am thinking about buying a kettlebell and starting without them then going to the workshop to get tips on form etc. I haven't bought a kettlebell yet but probably within the next couple of weeks and a dvd workout to go with it. the more I read about Kettlebells the more I think it's for me at least a couple of workouts a week.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 10:27

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hey Becky let me know how it goes - I still have the dvd and kettlebell but have yet to use it - go figure - don't know why but I suppose just like everything else takes me forever
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 06:34

BF:

I checked the website and they are definitely having a workshop on Feb 7. I am filling out registration forms and sending them in this week. I am going to hold off buying a kettlebell until I take the workshop because I want to know exactly what size to use. I've heard that we need heavier than we think we do. I will keep updating in this thread.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 11:31

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

I started working out with kettlebells about 18 months ago to get stronger for martial arts competitions. I bought a 25 and 35 pounder to start, then sold the 26 and have been using the 35 for warmups. Now I use 53 and 62 pounders for workouts and will be in the market for a 70 pretty soon. My UPS guy hates me.

I like them because the workouts are short and combine conditioning with strength building. Less than 20 minutes, 3 days a week, with some active rest on off days.

BTW the book I got was the Dragon Door publication "Enter the Kettlebell." Buy it and follow the program EXACTLY. I nearly two years, I have never felt the need to deviate even a little.