Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 22:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%
Default so many questions...possibly need hysterectomy

I'm wanting to get some advice and experiences from women who have had a hysterectomy? Did you keep or lose your ovaries? I've heard recovery time is a lot shorter if you have had laproscopic hysterectomy. Any experiences there. What changes have you had in your weight since a Hyst? Who has had hormone replacement? Any supplements you've been taking? I would really appreciate any input.

I have an appointment in a couple of weeks with the doc and I want to know what I should be asking.

Piano
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 09:07

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Hi, I had a hyst three years ago. I kept my ovaries. My surgeon said, 'if they ain't broke...'

I would NEVER take HRTs. Never. I do not have to have any special supplements.

I had the full operation... not lap. It took 4 weeks to feel okay, about a year to get the energy back (really, but it's not bad). That said I have to say it was the VERY best thing I've ever done for myself. EVER. EVER!!!!! No more flooding the place constantly. No iron deficiency. No more catching every illness going around. As an added benefit I have no more PMS. EVER. I'm always the same. No bloating! No calculating for holidays. Sex any old time. The hyst did nothing to affect my weight. Not easier or harder to lose weight.

OMG, I highly recommend it!!!!!! Suddenly I felt so wonderful.

I have a bunch of tips for you if you do decide to do it. (As in, what to wear to hospital, what to prepare for your recovery, how it feels, etc).
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 11:25

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 214/214/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had a hysterectomy in 1992. I was only 28 but had major famale problems. I still have my ovaries, had a full surgery, not the lapro.

It did not affect my weight. I had a few problems healing but after 8 weeks or so I really noticed that I felt better than I had in YEARS! Didn't realize how bad I felt until then.

I do not use any kind of HRT as I still have my ovaries.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:00

Thank you both for you help. And Yes Penink I want every single tip you have. I am 100% sure I want a hysterectomy, it's just a matter of if the doc approves. I'm also hoping they will do something with my bladdar while they are in there.

Piano
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:12

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I had mine in (full surgery)1978 and as soon as I healed enough to start getting around I felt so much better. My ovaries would cramp off and on for a while, I guess that 's not unusual. It gave me a whole new life!

I've never used HRT's although going through the big M I used some natural remedies for hot flashes and such. I did seem to control my weight much better after that.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:43

I wish they'd fixed my bladder too. But, bladder issues are better afterwards. (I don't fear sneezing)

Wear a dress home (buy one if you don't have it) that has no waist. Something incredibly roomy. I bought maternity underwear, too.
Before you go in, make a ton of frozen foods so whomever is looking after you can keep their sanity.
buy a bunch of white face cloths. Keep them for cleansing yourself afterwards. Do not have them washed with other laundry. You can pick up e-coli and other bacteria if someone washes them with omg, underwear, or other used towels.

It really hurts to sit, I found, in the first little while. Make sure you have plenty of pillows on your bed to prop yourself up. I got a medical table on wheels to keep in the bedroom for eating for the first week at home because going up and down stairs killed me.
(the drive home was rough... bumps... ouch)

I took a stuffed toy (super soft) to the hospital. It worked great under my neck when the hospital pillows were so hard and flat.

I went through a ton of crosswords at home (in hospital i was too out of it to care about being bored). I also liked to knit while recovering. I was thrilled to have a laptop, too, but couldn't hoist it around much, so the rolling table was a Godsend. I had a list of movies my DH rented for me.

I don't know if that will help at all. Please know that you'll feel amazing after it's over!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 06:47

Thanks for the tips. Those are great. I think I will borrow one of those portable DVD players from work.

Thanks!
Piano
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 14:08

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I had the surgery many years ago and they left my ovaries in.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 15:17

Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I had a cystocele (bladder repair), rectocele (rectum repair) and a total hysterectomy one year ago June 1st. I had it all done vaginally and with an epidural instead of total anesthetic. Recovery time was very quick, I spent a few days in the hospital but was up and about a few hours after the operation. I feel great, started to feel good about 3 months post op. and have just been getting better ever since. I feel years younger. Very glad I did it.
Linda
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 14:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Happy to find this thread. Any regrets? Any changes that weren't good? I'm trying to decide now whether to go through with it or not. I'm not having any big problems. Just a uterus the size of a 20 week pregnancy because of tumor(s). I don't want to trade my minor problems for some MAJOR ones.

What is planned is supracervical surgery. I go on Friday for ultrasound and mammogram and consult with Doctor.
Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Happy to find this thread. Any regrets? Any changes that weren't good? I'm trying to decide now whether to go through with it or not. I'm not having any big problems. Just a uterus the size of a 20 week pregnancy because of tumor(s). I don't want to trade my minor problems for some MAJOR ones.

What is planned is supracervical surgery. I go on Friday for ultrasound and mammogram and consult with Doctor.
Thanks.

ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS!!! best damn thing I had done.

No changes that weren't positive.

With what you have now, you should get that sucker out and feel FREEEEEEE I feel so FREEEEEE!!!!!!

(it's like 6 weeks recovery and in a few months you'll feel mahvellous, dahlink.)
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 22:52

Plan: WW Core
Stats: 244.5/232.5/160 Female 66"
BF:You noticed?!
Progress: 14%

I had my hysterectomy about 1 1/2 years ago and kept my ovaries. I had endometriosis, fibroids, cysts, and my uterus was starting to fall so they had to get me in quickly. During my surgery they had found that my uterus had actually fallen and adhered to my back wall so they had to scrape it off in a sense. I was cut from hip to hip. Nine days after surgery I ended up getting a severe infection and in the ER. My infection was caused from the scraping. And it wasn't just staph, it ate the staph and started eating my body - EWWWWWWW! I ended up having more two more surgeries and lived with a wound vac for months.

Aside from all of this I am extremely happy that I did have the hysterectomy. My painful periods and all of my other problems are gone! I do still have a little bloating, moodiness, and a little cramping once in awhile when it is supposed to be my TOM but it is nothing in comparison to what I had before.

I hope I didn't scare you - I think I am in the minority when it comes to a lot of things! Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 12:43

Plan: none
Stats: 180/180/160 Female 5ft2in
BF:
Progress:

I had hysterectomy with ovary removal 6 years ago, best thing I ever did. had ovaries removed at the same time as surgeon suggested it as then there was no chance of ovarian cancer...1 less thing to worry about!! Didn't have HRT but was fine. still have a bit of a rotund tummy, but I think think that's just my shape. Apparently the op was a bit trickie as I had a fibroid the size of a football and needed big blood transfusion.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 13:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thank you ladies. What about bladder problems afterwards? I read where once the uterus is gone, there's nothing to support the bladder, and there can be leaky problems.

Right now I'm thinking I'll probably go through with it, because my tumors will continue to grow until I go through menopause and at the rate my uterus is growing, that's a bad thing. And...it's driving me crazy trying to make a decision. Sometimes I think if I do it, then at least there won't be a decision left to make. I just don't want any...."well if I had known about this..." kinda thing happening. So...I appreciate everything y'all are sharing.

How long until y'all were back to being able to do whatever you wanted to do? Lifting really heavy things, etc.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 09:22
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia

Thanks.

I had an abdominal hyster when I was 40 because of bleeding fibroids. I chose abdominal for personal reasons. I kept my ovaries and my cervix---my ovaries were normal as was my cervix (again a personal choice).

It took approximately 6 weeks to be moving around normally.

No changes in bladder function.

No changes in sexuality or sexual response (in fact better ).

No changes in weight due to procedure (those changes are my own doing).

Not a single regret.