Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Eating coconut oil for extra fat fat percentage how much fat Macros

Sorry for long title...I just thought it would help this thread to come up in searches if I included more phrases...

Does anybody else cook foods in coconut oil to get extra fat?

I have been adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to each meal (lunch and dinner) to get extra fat. I'm not really sure if I need to though.

I am using myfitnesspal to keep track of what i have eaten and also to get percentages of what I eat.

I did quite a bit of research on what my macros should be for this LCHF diet and found 75%fat 20%protein and 5%carbs seemed to be the best.

I have been hitting those marks for the most part (up or down a few percentage points). It seems that my percentages would be about the same if I did not use coconut oil.

So the question comes up. Should I be adding this extra fat to my diet? I am confused about what the "High Fat" in LCHF diet means. I have done a lot of reading but am still confused. Can somebody help clarify things for me? It seems to me you should be including the fat "inside" you want to burn not just the fat you ingest.

Is there a certain number fat grams I should be shooting for a day?

Thanks

Last edited by SKOL : Sat, Jul-08-17 at 18:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 14:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Needs vary from person to person. But as a general rule, early on in the diet, when you have more body fat to lose, you can afford to have the percentage of protein in the diet be a little bit higher, and let your body make up the deficit from its own body fat. As you get leaner, at least if you want to remain in ketosis during maintenance, you're likely to need to eat a higher percentage of fat to remain in ketosis. Stephen Phinney has a good graphic showing the general idea;

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...hasesofWFKD.png

If you don't need those tablespoons of coconut oil to satisfy your appetite, I'd just skip them for now. I found a higher protein diet suited me fine early on, but at this point I do better with a much higher percentage of fat in the diet.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 15:51
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

thanks, Teaser.

Ok, so I found the answer I was looking for by searching "Macros".

Again, JEY100, posted a link on a separate thread that helped. The article is titled Don't Force The Fat. Click here

The thread I found this on is here .

A good video explaining macros here

Thanks again, JEY100. I have edited the title of this thread so future searches might find this info easier. :-)

I guess I will have to find another way to pan fry my pork and beef. Or, maybe I will just use smaller amount of coconut oil.

Last edited by SKOL : Sat, Jul-08-17 at 19:09.