Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/229/145 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Question The first week

How did you get through the first days of Induction? I am scared of what might happen. I am crazy for sugar!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 18:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Read an Atikins book first, so you can understand all the yummy foods you CAN eat, then buy all your groceries so there's lots of that good food at your fingertips, then make sure you drink water, eat salt and healthy fat and you will get through it. It doesn't take long for nasty sugar to leave our system.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 20:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

It will be a change, but one that is for the best and can be managed with some knowledge. Greek Ribs is right, get an Atkins book to give yourself an awareness of how to manage this. Until then here is the Atkins Induction thread on this forum. It's got a lot of good information that will set you up for success:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-16, 09:18

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Exactly. Get an Atkins book, and read it. You will be prepared, then.

Also, have a supply of salty broth available, and drink it. Dr Atkins wrote both of his books before anyone realized that drinking salty broth could minimize the carb flu symptoms of induction.

Don't worry! Those sugar cravings fade amazingly quickly!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-16, 10:56

Stats: 229/229/145 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Thanks! I will add the broth to my list. I have the 72 book, but am going to the library for a copy of the 92.
Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 16:49

Stats: 236/215/182 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 39%

I am on my first week too, but I don't crave sugar. I didn't eat much sugar to begin with to be honest so I guess that why.
What a headache I had today though. Thought my skull was going to crack open. Trying to think that it must be working and the salty broth thing seemed to work along with some fresh air.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 17:43

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Fefster, are you also cutting back on coffee or tea? Low carb doesn't prevent withdrawal from caffeine!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 23:55

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I think most of us here were at one point crazy for sugar, at least I was. I was a terrible emotional eater. No fears Holly. The approach I took was any carb flu symptoms I might have had at first couldn't and wasn't any worse than what I was already doing to my body. I wasn't seeing doctors before and ignoring my own needs and when I saw a doctor back in May of 2015, I got a real wake up call as I had become pre diabetic and didn't know it and was very close to full on diabetes, had horribly high blood pressure etc. I decided no meds and time to change my life. I had some symptoms for first couple weeks but I was determined to get through it rather than allow myself to become full blown diabetic. Now I no longer want all the stuff that was making me sick in the first place so it has all become habit and don't know when I have felt better. Sugar is poison. Once you are on this woe for a while you will realize there are so many healthy food choices. I think I eat more now than I ever have and loving it. This forum has a ton of information and helped encourage me to stay on the path to a healthier life. I have watched so many in my family struggle with diabetes, I didn't want to be one of them so I had to fix my body quickly and I am so glad I just hung in there. After first couple months it becomes much easier. As the months go by, we learn to cook healthy, tasty meals and don't have the regret or guilt of what we are eating and the weight just naturally comes off. So many recipes here and this forum also has posts of what others are eating which is very helpful. You can do it!