Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-09, 20:00

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%
Default Martial Arts, Anyone?

I've started a martial arts class and am wondering if anyone here has any tips for me.

We're not studying any one type but mainly focusing on exercise and self defense with the opportunity to advance and learn more.

Last edited by kuukuu : Thu, Sep-03-09 at 20:01. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-09, 20:12

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

I studied Jeet Kune Do and did some grappling tournaments. My only tips are to wear a mouthguard and learn how to work a heavy bag. Also, most instructors tend to teach female students to dance more than fight. If you are seriously learning MA for self defense, there is no substitute for gearing up and throwing down. You'll learn that getting hit hurts, but it's not the end.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-09, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach diet
Stats: 216/165/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Make sure to stay on task. I studied tae kwon do, judo, and karate and I found that discipline, not surprisingly, is on of the most satisfying parts of the practice. Respect for your sensei, discipline to follow through and repeat moves and sequences until they are perfect. This not only gets you into great shape, but it makes you proud of your accomplishment. Don't focus on the calories burned. Just focus on the fluidity of your movements and the importance of discipline in your practice. It really helps you in weight loss and in life. I would also suggest endurance training on the side because the hardest part for me about martial arts was getting through long classes and expecting to perform well from start to finish, even at a beginner's level.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-09, 07:23

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

Thanks!

I'm going tonight. I'll be monstrously sore tomorrow. Worth it in the end, though.