Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 06:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/139/125
BF:32
Progress: 30%
Default I tried it too!

I had been LCing for about 6 weeks in a stall so to shake things up a bit I went off for sat & sun. What a pig out! I purposely ate all the sugar I could get my hands on. It actually tasted good, for about 10 minutes while it was going down (esp the doughnut). But after that I felt terrible!

I also fell asleep on the couch on Sat and I NEVER do that anymore since lc. Sun am I wanted to lc but my DH said it hadn't been long enough off the lc so I gave in to a funnel cake and went downhill from there.
On sun also I fell asleep and couldn't believe how tired and dumpy I felt. My stomach too was gassy and quesy b/c I just wasn't used to all that "crap"!

come Mon a.m. I was ready to lc and its been 2 weeks w/o a cheat. When I get the urge I just remember how terrible I felt and decide its not worth it, besides the weight gain.
PS. I gained 2 lbs in 2 days for the experiment and it took me 5 days to lose it. And I can't honestly say it helped my stall that much either. No hard evidence there. All in all, NOT WORTH IT!

Good luck everybody!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 09:44

Plan: Sugar Busters/Atkin's
Stats: 306/235/185 Female 5'6
BF:no clue
Progress: 59%
Lightbulb Don't do it!

Ugggggg! I haven't restarted yet. (Sugar Busters) I have gained 7 pounds in 3 days! Don't come to this side of the fence, it is quite ugly.
I am doing the ever famous.. "I'll start on Monday"... "I'll start at the beginning of the month".. Who am I... GARFIELD?
I feel sooooo much better when I stay sugar/starch free... uggggg. Someone please pull me back on the wagon. *hugs* WEN
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 10:30

Plan: Sugar Busters/Atkin's
Stats: 306/235/185 Female 5'6
BF:no clue
Progress: 59%
Lightbulb Don't do it!

Ugggggg! I haven't restarted yet. (Sugar Busters) I have gained 7 pounds in 3 days! Don't come to this side of the fence, it is quite ugly.
I am doing the ever famous.. "I'll start on Monday"... "I'll start at the beginning of the month".. Who am I... GARFIELD?
I feel sooooo much better when I stay sugar/starch free... uggggg. Someone please pull me back on the wagon. *hugs* WEN
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 17:44

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default I now how you both feel

Isn't that yuccky carby feeling the worst - it feels great for about 10 minutes - I agree - but definitely not worth it - it's not a pretty sight that's for sure.

I've said it before and I'll slay it again - drink heaps of water and go cold turkey on induction - or at least low low carbs - it sorts the system out and you'll feel much better.

I've got this (unflatteing) picture onthe fridge and it helps me to keep on track (think I'll go and look at it now!).

Set yourself small goals - then you can feel success - don't be obseessed with the scales (what agood advice - I should take it myself) - it will come off -

You're on the road to slimness - you just took a wrong turn - get back on that superhighway to success

Goodluck buddies.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins -- Zone
Stats: 175/175/140 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:no clue; yikes! ;)
Progress: 0%
Angry CRAVINGS talk!

Okay, okay I admit .. I cheated. FIRST time in 3 weeks. I started out with only the cheese and sausage from a piece of pizza -- but I was so hungry that dammmit I ate the piece including the crust!!
--- --- --- I also had a crap load of miller lite. (I am in college -- it happens)

I've been in ketosis for a good 3 weeks, and have not caved into cravings. (I let myself have these no yeast, low carb pastry doo-dads) one a night, and still remain in ketosis. My question ... Is splurging on one thing, like a cookie, or a piece of cake and then eating low carb and working out right away terribly bad? I know my tastes are a little open now and I am having quite a few more cravings ... but honestly, would having a chocolate chip cookie -- and then getting right back into low carbing be that bad?

maybe I'm just looking for permission -- but for some reason, exlcuding so much b/c it isnt "lowcarb" is really restrictive and in itself may create the craving even more than if ya had just eaten the friggin' cookie. If majority, and I mean a big majority of a diet is low carb - can a sweet here or there make a big diff?
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 10:03

Plan: Atkins, Somersize
Stats: 192/185/135
BF:
Progress: 12%
Unhappy It's not worth the cheat

For four days I just did little cheats, just a bite of wonderful cake here and bite of italian bread there, oh a really thin slice of apple cake. Only cheated a little once a day, really good the rest of the day.
Exercised like crazy and have been good for the last 10 days. Back on induction Guess what .....NOTHING. Weighed myself three days after the 4 day cheat, maintained my weight. Then weighed myself 10 days after the cheat, gained a pound.

I was hoping I could burn off the cheat quickly. Has not worked. Atkins says a cheat can set you back a week, and I think he is right.

So appart from the cheats totally upsetting your/mine digestive system (in particular acid reflux, oh....and that wonderfull gas), I find if does nothing for your weightloss or your mental status.

I find it's also harder to lose (or slower anyway) after a cheat.

Overall CHEATS ARE JUST NOT WORTH IT

ps. If I need to cheat, I'm going to do a legal sugarfree/carbfree cheat. There is so much great info around to help....
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 18:43

BF:

Hey Aussiegal!

Quote:
ps. If I need to cheat, I'm going to do a legal sugarfree/carbfree cheat. There is so much great info around to help....

Question: IF it's a legal, sugarfree/carbfree cheat - what sort of a cheat it that??? It's not a cheat in my book! Please explain further.

Kannel 140

Cheating does set you back - the more you cheat the more you are set back or will stall. It's a chemical thing inthe body - want to keep that insulin steady to stop the cravings etc etc.

I'm not saying I have never cheated but each time I do - I say 'never again' I feel terrible even if I get right back on withthings.

My dietitian says (also in keeping with CAD which is a slower, more generous weight loss program - look it up it may suit you better!) if you're gonna cheat (or have a reward as she says) - make it worthwhile and then it's done - It's better to do it once a week/fortnight/month than to have little 'pickies' every day or even more regularly 'cos then you're never really lowcarbing at all.
I had a reward meal per week for a while and still lost - but depending on what I ate I lost that 'great awake, alive' feeling had no energy at all - unlike how I feel when lowcarbing so i don't any more.

Let's look at the humble Chocolate Chip cookie - are they about 10-15g of carbs - golly that's more than some lowcarbers have in 1 day! I could have 2 each day and then carb-free but I'd never lose weight 'cos mu insulin would be up and that blocks weight loss and encourages the weight storage mechanism. And then the questionarises - what do i do with the rest of the pack???

I'm not on The Zone - so I'm not sure of the rules and regs but I'm sure if you re-read the book to re-focuss or maybe try another lowcarb eating plan - CAD lets you eat what you want eah night within a 1 hour period - it depends how addicted yor body is to acarbs ad how you react to it - we are all different!

Do some more reading - always have something 'legal' on hand for when you get the 'munchies'

Good luck - Let us know how you go!!

Can't you find some lowcarb satisfiers for your sweet tooth if that's the problem?
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 09:24

Plan: Atkins, Somersize
Stats: 192/185/135
BF:
Progress: 12%

Dear Wendye
I agree with what you say, just different for different people....A legal cheat for me is like a Atkins bar (for induction), or something sugar free (like some cheese).
Sorry I have been so called "cheating" with legal stuff. I call those cheats because I have not lost anything in 5 weeks so getting a little upset. I have been exercising everyday vigoursly, taking all my suppliments...nothing.

Just getting frustrated that even things that we are allowed to eat, seem to be stopping me from losing. I really don't want to eat just meat. But I can't convince my body that it's OK to lose. Just frustrationed.

Hope you understand. It's blessing if you have a body that you can once in a while cheat and still lose. I envy you....Hey can we swap bodies!!!

Bye for now
Kathi
  #24   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 18:30

BF:
Default Cheatin'

The trouble with those non-legal cheats is that when the insulin is raised it triggers the 'fat storage machanism' inthe body and turns off the 'fat-burning' mechanism - rather technical - but it takes longer in some people to get these switched around again - so little cheats everyday are a no no!

I'm not one wh can cheat and lose so I don't have that weekly treat suggested by my dietitian any more - I may when I'm trying to maintain - but that's a long way off!!!

Besst of luck - to all of you
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 22:42

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 209/206/140
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default the big binge

Well I did what you folks did, but I cannot seem to get back to the plan.
I am craving everything... I truely have fallen off the wagon and it took off on my and I cannot catch up.

I have REALLY had a hard time loosing the 16 little pounds I lost and now I am afraid that I will gain it back.

I keep reading, and hearing that high protein and low carbing is so very unhealthy and later in my life I will pay for it ! That keeps me from going back to the induction way of life! I am really afraid of the health problems.

I have to say thought, that on the the no carbs...I have been feeling pretty good except for fatique, fatigue.

Hope something pinches me and gets me back on track. The two weeks of binging has gone by faster than the 12 weeks of low carbing!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 02:22

BF:

Woooooaaa Nellie - this is your thread - where have you been - the inmates have taken over the assylum!!

Ferdinand - I went off it for 2 weeks - felt dreadful -I'm back stronger than ever - re-read your plan, stick to it and drink plentyof water - the danger of Atkins or the others comes if you don't stick to it - 'cos then it's high carbs and high fat!!! it doesn't work.

Anyway why not start a journal - it'snot so daunting - I'll be looking out for you - come visit mine if you like - or anyones - it can be a riot!!!

Anyway best of luck
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 04:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/130/107
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Now I know

I totally agree - this is a bit like a confession booth, but if it helps others to get back on the wagon after falling off, here's my experience.

I had been on induction for 3 weeks, losing and feeling great - trying to introduce 'good carbs' into my diet to find my level for continuing weight loss (Dr Atkins makes it sound easy).

Well after another 3 weeks some of those 'bad' carbs were sneaking in as well - and the addict in me was justifying them.

I'd even stopped my food journal on the forum - telling myself that I didnt have time. Who was I kidding! If i had kept writing, Anyone stopping by would have seen what I was doing, and pulled me up about it. ( I hope you're all still out there )

Well Saturday just gone, was the day that I realised just how far off the wagon I had fallen. I started the day with Alpen and Natural Yoghurt and Honey. Why ?? I haven't eaten this sort of stuff for at least 2 months. My face was truly in the mud!

I spent at least an hour in Tesco shopping for just a handful of groceries . The majority of the time was spent walking around the same two aisles - bread and cakes - until I caved in and bought an Entimans New York Cheesecake. I saw the carb count on the label, I read the ingredients and I couldn't wait to get home and eat it.

And I did - I started with the first quarter, followed immediately by the second. A couple of hours later I had the third. My daughter noticed the last quarter in the fridge and asked if she could eat it - No way- that beauty was mine, and only mine. At 10 that evening, I was feeling horribly hungry - burning in the throat hungry ( I haven't felt this way since starting LCing) I finished the last piece.

Strangely I didn't eat anything else all day - total carbohydrates.

Woke the next day with a horrible headache, on one side of my head. As soon as the kids went off with their dad for the day, I pulled the duvet onto the couch and was slumped in a
post-sugar-stupour for the whole day until they returned at 10 last night.

I'd like to put it down to my TOM - I have quite painful ovulations and big mood shifts around 2 weeks after periods. And this was just such a time. In reality it could have happened at any time - I should have seen the signs creeping up.

Today is Monday - Day 1 of induction. My name is Frances and I am a carbohydrate addict.