Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 00:45
Registered Member

Plan: BANTING
Stats: 260/230/160 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Jail House Exercise

I heard some talk about a system of exercise that can be done, alone & without equipment, even on solitary confinment. The guy who was extoling it said it was the only workout he used. & was he ever built! Even the flexors on his forearms had corners on them. Has anyone here had any experience with 'static' or 'self-resistant' exercise?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 17:52

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

Sounds like push ups, pull ups, and squats. I hope that is what it is, since I am doing that right now.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 19:28

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 195/185/165 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress:

There are plenty of great bodyweight exercise programs out there. They are great for building foundational muscle and maintaining strength. After a certain point though, if you want to get larger/stronger, you will have to increase the weight load.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 21:23

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by K!D
I heard some talk about a system of exercise that can be done, alone & without equipment, even on solitary confinment. The guy who was extoling it said it was the only workout he used. & was he ever built! Even the flexors on his forearms had corners on them. Has anyone here had any experience with 'static' or 'self-resistant' exercise?

There are a lot of bodyweight exercise related sites and resources. The famous Charles Atlas system, "I was a ninety pound weakling... etc.", was all based on "isometrics", dynamic tension and using weight vs gravity exercises. I remember reading somewhere that Arnold met with Atlas once, and afterward commented that he was very impressed that Atlas achieved his physique through bodyweight training alone. Charlie Bronson, the infamous British bare knuckle fighter, did a lot of his conditioning in solitary confinement.

he even wrote a fitness book called "Solitary Fitness". You might also find the Pavel Tsatsouline book, "Naked Warrior" interesting; It's mostly ways to increase the difficulty of traditional bodyweight exercises. A lot of Martial Artists, Gymnasts and Parkour practitioners seem to be bodyweight proponents, some using only bodyweight training.

Anyway, here's a couple of links you might like:
some bodyweight excercises
Isometrics
Good place to start at Youtube
Hindu Squats , Pistol Squats, etc.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: BANTING
Stats: 260/230/160 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 30%
Thumbs down CRASH & BURN

Thank you all for your thoughtful and informative replies. Unfortunately, I can't handle the exercises. I am old and have gotten both feeble and brittle. I tried, gently to be sure, some moves I found on line. Now, in addition to the usual sharp arthritic pains I have in several joints, I have deep aches, almost like bruises, deep in the joints.
The best advice I'd have for anyone who is not old is 'get in shape, NOW'. Later will be harder.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 23:59

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly

Thanks for the links, Frankly!