Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-24, 09:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default "A Weight-Loss Drug Changed My Life . . . "

" . . Will It Solve My Problem?" by Bradley Olson - WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/health/pharma/a...d=hp_lista_pos1

This is a touching and personal article that reveals what many who are at an already unhealthy weight or battling ever-increasing weight gain are thinking. This is behind the WSJ paywall, so I apologize to those who don't subscribe. I encourage those with access to read the article.

A few short excerpts:
Quote:
"In August, as I prepared to plunge the first syringe of a new weight-loss “wonder drug” into the fatty tissue in my upper thigh, I wondered: What would it feel like to stop being hungry? Since then I’ve lost 40 pounds. This week, I injected the last dose I felt I could afford, and now I’m wondering: What happens when I go back to wanting to eat normally again?"

"Fifteen years ago, just before I turned 30, I was 100 pounds overweight. I committed to a rigorous diet and exercise program and lost it all in one year, but then like so many in my situation, gradually I gave in to food cravings and began to gain it back again. Around my 44th birthday last year, just months after completing a grueling endurance hike across the Grand Canyon and back, I hit a troubling milestone. I weighed in at 233 pounds, up about 50 pounds from my low. After all those years of trying to maintain my weight loss, eventually I had gained half of it back, and now I had officially crossed the “obese” threshold in body-mass index for the first time in 14 years."

"Combined prescriptions of GLP-1s have more than quintupled since 2021, exceeding 36 million in the 12 months ending in November, according to the IQVIA Institute for Human Data Science. Though Ozempic and Mounjaro were developed and authorized specifically to combat diabetes with weight loss as a secondary effect, the use of both as diet drugs has soared as their results have gained notice. Most insurance plans refuse to cover the use of those drugs for weight loss, which has many people struggling to pay the full price themselves—upwards of $1,000 a month."

"The cost issue applied to me as well. I chose Mounjaro, which has been found to work even better than Ozempic for weight loss in some clinical trials, with patients trimming more than 20 percent of their body weight on average. After discussing the risks with my doctor, I learned that my insurance wouldn’t cover the roughly $1,000-a-month I would need to pay after using a coupon. Doctors can prescribe these drugs for weight loss in what is called an “off label” use, and my tipping the scales into the ‘’obese” category was enough for my doctor to feel comfortable writing me a prescription."

The author continues to show that monthly prescriptions for GLP-1s (Wegovy, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and Zepbound) have increased from miniscule amounts in 2018 to more than 3.5 million per month in early 2024. The other graph provided in the article shows the rise of obesity for those over 18 years in the U.S. from just over 27 percent in 2011 to just under 34 percent in 2022. The curve continues a steep rise.

The author describes his journey of weight management, which is very similar to many attempting to manage the same problem. He poses some thoughtful questions after he wrestled with the decision to use Mounjaro, as he's aware of the many issues associated with these drugs. While he focused on his experience with Mounjaro and the reasons for his decision, he didn't touch on the question many of us would ask in terms of why our population has an ever-increasing obesity and health problem. Not intending to be overly critical, I'm struck by the lack of any mention of how our available foods, manufactured foods for "convenience," have become an unquestioned part of our dietary choices. We've come to the point where they are assumed to be a standard part of our food choices, and that it's normal to make the decision to include these as core components of our diets.

This article forced me to step back and realize that 1) most everyone would like to be slim and healthy, 2) most everyone knows they need to lose weight to achieve better health, 3) most don't know how to approach this goal as we are inundated with conflicting messages, many from those with an agenda that is not aligned with the ability to achieve better health, 4) and last, there are many "experts" and respected groups/ organizations that simply due to their affiliations are thought to have knowledge of the topic of nutrition when in reality they don't base their knowledge on current research of nutrition or how to achieve satiety while avoiding unhealthy eating patterns. The lack of credibility and empathy is stunning in certain cases, and I'll leave it up to the readers to fill in the blanks of who and which organizations I'm referencing.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sat, Jan-13-24 at 10:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-24, 10:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I must admit that I don’t get it. I have not found it hard to lose weight and keep it off and I lost over 100 pounds. Maybe I just hadn’t heard the ubiquitous message that the kind of weight loss I experienced is impossible on a long term basis. I am here to say it is very possible. You just have to prioritize health and then do your research. Don’t look for easy fixes but do look for common sense. For me common sense is to eat real foods; don’t eat ultra processed pseudo food products; nourish your body; consider eating what you do first and foremost to attain and maintain health with enjoyment of the food a secondary consideration. Yes, you want it to taste good but not as its primary purpose. Pleasure in eating must become a secondary concern. Nourishment always the first concern. Easy peasy I say.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-24, 10:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I must admit that I don’t get it. I have not found it hard to lose weight and keep it off and I lost over 100 pounds. Maybe I just hadn’t heard the ubiquitous message that the kind of weight loss I experienced is impossible on a long term basis. I am here to say it is very possible. You just have to prioritize health and then do your research. Don’t look for easy fixes but do look for common sense. For me common sense is to eat real foods; don’t eat ultra processed pseudo food products; nourish your body; consider eating what you do first and foremost to attain and maintain health with enjoyment of the food a secondary consideration. Yes, you want it to taste good but not as its primary purpose. Pleasure in eating must become a secondary concern. Nourishment always the first concern. Easy peasy I say.

I don't get it either. We as a culture have gravitated to those things that are a convenience, but many can be a Pandora's Box. I'm often reminded of the exhibit at Disney World, "The Carousel of Progress." Modern society and conveniences abound with the ability to solve anything including health issues by just getting a shot or taking a pill. Crazy, but it's so prevalent and a core part of our belief system today. Are we really better off or are we simply deluding ourselves? Are we really experiencing progress?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-24, 11:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Rob, Thank you for posting this..a good summary of the ups and downs of the author's thoughts during his weight loss journey. The friends who told him he looked great...what did they think of him before? what did they think of him taking the medication to lose weight? I hope he follows up in about 6 months. One woman I follow found the "food noise" unbearable after she had lost all the weight she wanted and could not afford to continue.

If you have a WSJ subscription, you can share free 10 articles per month. Here is the Free Copy Link for this one: https://www.wsj.com/health/pharma/a...share_permalink.

If you email/text an article to a friend, it will be shared as a "gift". Washington Post works the same way. 10 per month! Pick your "friends" wisely
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-24, 12:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Rob, Thank you for posting this..a good summary of the ups and downs of the author's thoughts during his weight loss journey. The friends who told him he looked great...what did they think of him before? what did they think of him taking the medication to lose weight? I hope he follows up in about 6 months. One woman I follow found the "food noise" unbearable after she had lost all the weight she wanted and could not afford to continue.

If you have a WSJ subscription, you can share free 10 articles per month. Here is the Free Copy Link for this one: https://www.wsj.com/health/pharma/a...share_permalink.

If you email/text an article to a friend, it will be shared as a "gift". Washington Post works the same way. 10 per month! Pick your "friends" wisely

Thanks, Janet, for sharing this article. I forgot I had this benefit. The article definitely makes one think.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-24, 14:10

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Honestly, the reason we don't understand the problem they're having is that we looked for a way of eating that allowed us to eat real food and not be hungry. That is truly the key to losing weight without drugs or going on and off diets, constantly yo-yoing up and down the scale.

That sounds simple, but for most people it's not.

Do the research? Sure. But where do you begin with the research

Try googling "how to lose weight, and keep it off for life".

You're not going to come up with Atkins, Low Carb, or even Keto, as primary suggestions, probably not even as secondary or tertiary suggestions.

You will get information about exercise, eating more slowly, eating smaller meals more frequently, avoiding fast food and ultra-processed foods, avoiding refined carbs (but encouraging loads of "complex carbs", which run the gamut from every whole grain you can imagine to filling up on potatoes), eating more vegetables and fruits, smaller portion tricks (use smaller bowls and plates), food pyramid/my plate, drinking more water, getting more/better quality sleep, cutting back on fats (especially saturated fat and cholesterol), control stress, plan your meals, etc.

The closest it comes to anything remotely LC is to eat more protein - but make sure it's low fat. Or eat more eggs - but not too many because of the cholesterol content.

Then come the weight loss companies such as WW, Noom, and Jenny Craig - all variations on a low fat, low calorie theme. And the weight loss drugs, which of course are designed to keep you on the low fat path to weight loss (and we already know that discontinuing the drugs results in weight regain.)

It's not that all of the suggestions are bad - but they're still assuming you can somehow maintain a low fat, high carb (whole grains) for the rest of your life, and never gain weight.

Even among those who have done pretty well on LC for a while (and lost significant amounts of weight on it), the biggest mistake I've seen is the tendency to indulge over the holidays, vacations, other special occasions, or just going out to eat far too regularly, which puts them in a position of not being able to resist at least a few of the nachos, or a dinner roll, or eating the pizza crust.

So after being on vacation eating "only a little off plan" here and there for a week or two, they don't think they've had much carby stuff at all, but then they end up needing to go through weeks of carb withdrawal again... while still going out to eat during that time, and giving in once again to some carby item on the menu, or ordering pizza on a busy night. It becomes a continual cycle of minor cheats that keeps them from ever truly getting back on plan.

The second biggest mistake is to rely so heavily on LC treats. I'm not even talking about keto bars and other pre-fab LC/Keto treats (although those are certainly a problem too) - but even the ones who have been pretty successful at LC were on a constant search for recipes for LC friendly cakes, LC ice cream, LC candy, and LC cookies. Those things do have a use and a place in LC diets, especially during the first few weeks or months when you're trying to transition away from living on sugar and starches, and you need something to take their place so you won't give in to the real thing. But eventually those should fall by the wayside and become a very rare special occasion treat.

Basically, they never really give themselves a chance to completely get away from starches and sugars to the point that they no longer crave them. It's no wonder they give up on trying to do LC.

Which brings them back to eat less/move more diets, and since they don't have much success on those (the exercise just makes them more hungry), they are thrilled that there's a drug that can control their hunger. I think they're definitely trying to ignore questions about what happens when your insurance won't pay for it any more?/what happens when you lose all the weight you need to lose and need to go off the drug?/what happens if there's supply chain issues and you can't get the drug for some reason?/what happens if it makes you so sick that you need to go off of it?

I understand the desperation to lose weight, but even though this is not the way to go about it, with all the information pushing low fat while railing against LC, it's surprising that anyone even tries LC.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-24, 01:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I understand the desperation to lose weight, but even though this is not the way to go about it, with all the information pushing low fat while railing against LC, it's surprising that anyone even tries LC.

Golly, I got freedom from "food noise" by eating real food. My raging appetite calmed down when my blood sugar did. Eating enough of the right fats helps balance my hormones. I'm already eating the recommended amount of protein -- because I'm not crowding nutrients out of my diet because of a screaming junk food addiction. Which I once had. I get the suffering.

One has to be desperate to try LC, because all the marketing (not science, not even well-intentioned) has convinced the mass of the populace that the food we've eaten over millenia, as a species, will kill them where they stand.

Worse is that they know it works. "But you have to stay on it." DUH! The science is settled by now. It was science when Dr. Atkins encouraged it in his practice. "Banting" dates back to the 19th century.

It's not confusing. It's been made so.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-24, 02:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I just can't with the article. I predicted most of the twists and turns in the author's thinking, and just because it is incredibly common doesn't make it right:

Quote:
Fifteen years ago, just before I turned 30, I was 100 pounds overweight. I committed to a rigorous diet and exercise program and lost it all in one year

Now and again, I would try to lay off sugar or carbs, or count calories, or try any number of new ideas to change my relationship with food, but in the end all had failed—or, I thought, my will had failed; I had failed. When I would fall short of my target weight year after year despite hours of weekly exercise

Sometimes, I would lie awake at night and wish that I could find a genie who would make me thin. I knew it was absurd, but such was my state of mind.

This is exasperating when the answer is: give up the foods that make you fat and sick. It is that simple, but what can we do with someone who refuses? Who decides to solve their problem by "wishing" at night. I understand desperation, but when I was faced with almost the same dilemma, when something that only kind of worked stopped working, I kept at it. What I didn't do was keep up with his "hours of weekly exercise" when that wasn't working.

Atkins was the first thing that did work. And I never let go! But I have let go of junk food. It means treats take on a whole new meaning, like Rib Eye or my homemade sugar-none cheescake.

Having been there, I certainly understand the man's account of his struggles. But it was fear of taking a diabetes drug that motivated me. As an example of the struggle, perfectly good. Defensive about the drug? Yes, but I can't help thinking that a guy who eats junk food and pushes himself to exercise might be setting up a whole new set of problems. I'm sure he was "training" with inadequate protein before, and now he's eating less.

Also, there's a misplaced confidence in "tech." Once it was "if we can put a man on the moon, why can't we lose weight?" Now, while we should be impressed with the computer power in our pockets compared to the computers that calculated the moon landing, it's still Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Ironically, the excess weight we're seeing now IS a manmade tech problem. People will tell me how "good" something tastes, and pout if I say, "Yes, they spent lots of money hacking your brain." It's their brain that is the problem they are listening to "artificial feelings" triggered by lab work, instead of how they actually feel, all day, every day. (What a tasty way to eat one's feelings, however.)

When, for the price of a Big Mac Meal -- not even delivery! -- I can get a chuck roast and feed both of us for a whole weekend.

Quote:
The recent uproar over a McDonald's location in Darien, Connecticut, charging $18 for a Big Mac combo meal has sparked a nationwide debate on the escalating prices in the fast-food industry. Average price of Big Mac is $5.58 -- Jan 4, 2024

About the same price at my local Aldi was enough grassfed stew meat to feed DH and I a whole meal. With much more satiety and nutrition than splitting a Big Mac. It can't remotely be justified financially.

Fat apologists talk about the size of the diet industry, but the companies in the report who make "food" dwarf that impact considerably. They have mainstreamed the whole Nutrisystem plan into the general population, have they not? Now, it's the "restaurant" who makes and serves your "meal." (Sorry, can't help all the air quotes. I expected better from the Star Trek food machine of the future that I was promised.)

We are ALL dieters now. Perpetually in thrall to these industries. A wonderful science fiction novel was about just this: how the companies would set up their sodas to create cravings for their cookies, and the cookies created cravings for the candy, which made people thirsty for the soda... a perpetual cravings chain.

Written in 1953 and even such visionary writers placed their nightmare in the 22nd century. And here we are!

The Space Merchants, by Frederik Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-24, 06:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
We are ALL dieters now.
Reminds me of Dr Naiman's memes. "We are all on the P:E Diet, but some of us are on it badly"

"We low carbers don’t like to admit it, but now that 91% of Americans are overfat—with *saturated fat* I might add—eating more saturated fat is probably dumb? 🤷🏽‍♂️"

First to go should be the high fat Keto junk food, and we could moderate the use of saturated fats. No one is suggesting eliminate fat, but bacon, butter and BPC to prove a point isn’t helping. The author writes,
Quote:
But instead, after a few months of South Beach, Keto, Weight Watchers or other popular programs, the reality was more like this: “Eat processed foods. In prodigious volumes. Also doughnuts and chocolate.”

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-18-24 at 08:06.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-24, 13:30

BF:

This is from Business Insider:

Quote:

My brain on Ozempic

What a weight-loss drug taught me about shame — and willpower

The thing about a lifetime of shame is that you have no idea how heavy a burden it is until the moment you set it down.

Albert Fox Cahn
Feb 15, 2024, 6:01 AM EST

The sidewalk was empty, so no one could see me crying outside Levain Bakery's soaring glass doors. But there was nothing to shield me from the staff inside watching me, stunned, sobbing, giddy with excitement about what a drug had done to my brain.

I can't count how many times Levain's cookies sabotaged me — a day of disciplined dieting broken as I got sucked into those buttery black holes. Often I fought the temptation; sometimes I won, but too frequently I felt my body pulse in anticipation of the dopamine reward (mouth salivating, throat tensing) before caving to the cookies, resenting my choice, and feeling the familiar shame.

So when I realized I suddenly didn't care about stepping inside, I didn't trust it. I forced myself to visualize that first perfect bite, waiting for my mouth to water and jaw to ache … but nothing. When it dawned on me that I could win my daily battle without even fighting it, I felt like I'd learned how to breathe underwater, as if I'd lost enough weight to levitate.

I was skeptical about last year's glowing articles about Ozempic and other GLP-1 medications. Like so many chronically overweight people, I'd seen it all and then some: stimulants, supplements, low-carb, low-fat, intermittent fasting, even laxatives. But these medications are nothing like what I expected. They're not really "weight-loss drugs" at all. They're something far more powerful and surreal: injectable willpower.

GLP-1s' increasing popularity won't just mean that millions of us who've beat ourselves up for being overweight will be able to win that lifelong battle. It will mean fundamentally reevaluating our conception of free will and human agency — and reckoning with our tortured relationship with shame.

So much of diet culture, of our culture writ large, belittles the choices we make about food. What happens, then, when a drug reveals that eating, gambling, and so many other behaviors aren't choices at all? Just like when Prozac dismantled the myth that depression is a choice, or when earlier scientific advancements disproved the idea that illnesses like cancer were moral indictments, GLP-1s and similar medications are changing our shared sense of what is blameworthy and what is biology.

For those fortunate enough to never have struggled — seriously struggled — with weight, you have to understand just how futile most weight-loss strategies are. Though people can "succeed" in a diet for months, maybe even a year, many dieters eventually regain weight. Most of the dozens of diets and health schemes I've been on over more than 30 years have helped for a time, but they all set me up to fail. For a long time, the only evidence-based strategy for safe, long-term weight management was surgery. But gastric surgery is expensive and painful, and many patients end up regaining weight.

"They're not really "weight-loss drugs" at all. They're something far more powerful and surreal: injectable willpower."

Moreover, weight often has no bearing on health. For decades the fat-acceptance and fat-rights movements highlighted how size discrimination affects hundreds of millions of people around the world. Anti-fat bias costs people jobs, relationships, access to public spaces, and more. Fat-shaming and size discrimination also fuel eating disorders that affect tens of millions of people and kill more than 10,000 Americans annually. But even as diet culture is deadly for some and discriminatory for countless more, many of us have a medical need to lose weight.

In 2017, everything changed during my physical — shocking cholesterol numbers turned into specialist visits, then a grim warning that I was cutting my life short. So I started on a massive project of weight loss, exercise, and lifestyle change. I set up a tracking sheet with a friend; we concocted a set of prizes for weeks when we were healthy and punishments for when we did badly. Having read so many studies about the failure rate for dieting, I decided I needed something that would truly terrify me if I seriously slipped. So I wrote out a check for $10,000 to the organization I hated most in the world, the National Rifle Association, and sent it to my friend. Through the combination of incentives, accountability, social pressure, and the mental image of Wayne LaPierre gleefully cashing my check, I lost 70 pounds and even ran a marathon.

But I couldn't outrun the statistics, and during COVID-19 isolation I lost so much of the progress I'd made. (No, the NRA never got a penny.) Even after the lockdown era, as I went running and lifted weights every week, I couldn't really make a dent.

When it dawned on me that I could win my daily battle with temptation without even fighting it, I felt like I'd learned how to breathe underwater, as if I'd lost enough weight to levitate. David Vades Joseph for BI

My friend's experience after our health challenge was very different. In early 2022, he began taking Ozempic. The injectable drug simulates GLP-1, a hormone regulating metabolism. Soon after, my friend switched to Mounjaro, which also simulates a second hormone called gastric inhibitory polypeptide, or GIP. The results were staggering. While I went from one gimmicky diet to the next, giving up carbs and then intermittently fasting, my friend was losing weight week over week with seemingly no rules or restrictions. By last summer I felt so stuck, enervated, and even desperate that I gave Mounjaro a try.

Miraculously, in less than a week I got a script from my doctor. My insurance would help cover the cost; I didn't need preauthorization. The clerk at my CVS said it was the first time they'd see someone spend just $20 for a drug that usually retails for $1,000 to $1,200 a month. I was extremely lucky. Many health plans have refused to cover GLP-1s for weight loss, citing limited approval from the Food and Drug Administration. But prescribing GLP-1s "off label" for weight loss is legal, and the surge in popularity has led to drug shortages. Sadly, many of those most at risk from obesity-related illness and diabetes have had a hard time accessing the medication. And as with every other aspect of American medicine, the impact is most acute for those from low-income communities of color.

"It felt like I was pointing a loaded gun at the oversized belly I despised."

I felt squeamish holding the glow-stick-sized autoinjector, still cold from the fridge. It felt like I was pointing a loaded gun at the oversized belly I despised. I took a breath, pressed a button, braced for the pain, and … felt almost nothing. It was so underwhelming that I called my friend to make sure I hadn't screwed it up. Then I went about my day.

The change began the next morning. In the frantic deluge of emails and Zooms, I forgot about breakfast. By 2 in the afternoon, I realized I'd been going since 6 a.m. without a bite and still wasn't hungry. When I went into the kitchen, I was even more startled to see the coffee pot almost untouched. As a young lawyer I'd learned to exist off coffee, going through two, sometimes three pots of stovetop espresso a day. I never thought of my coffee habit as an addiction or poor impulse control — just as what my body wanted to keep up with the pace of work. But suddenly my choices were changing.

And when I walked out of my building to grab lunch, passed Levain, and still felt nothing, the enormity of my changed decisions hit me.

The thing about a lifetime of shame is that you have no idea how heavy a burden it is until the moment you set it down. If you'd asked me what I thought about weight pre-Mounjaro, I would've said it was frustrating but generally no big deal. Sure, I struggled with diet and impulses, but didn't everyone? Only a day after the first injection, I realized just how much pain I'd carried with my pounds, and how the humiliation of obesity had become central to how I defined myself.

I don't know when I first became overweight, but I remember the moment I was taught to be ashamed of it. It was Halloween, and a group of us 8-year-olds went through the uniquely New York take on the holiday by pillaging dozens of walk-up apartments. We started on the top floor of the converted customs warehouse I called home in Greenwich Village before darting across town to the motherlode: my friend's 20-story, 500-unit building. Hours later we had bags of candy almost as large as we were. I sat down on my friend's couch to savor the first piece of the night — only, as I tore the red wrapper off the Kit Kat, a familiar voice behind me said, "No." I stammered some confused question: Why couldn't I start when everyone else was stuffing their face? "Because you're fat," the voice said, "and they're not."

The shame of that moment stuck with me for decades — a funhouse mirror that transformed me from a child into a pig. It became an unshakable part of what I conceived as my essential self. I was a "fat kid." Once I internalized that label, it became indelible. No matter what my actual weight was, I viewed it through that lens of moral failure. Being overweight, obese, and eventually morbidly obese felt like destiny, the inevitable byproduct of my failure to prioritize my health over my appetite. Even when I dieted, went on health kicks, or even ran the New York City Marathon, I still thought of myself as a profoundly flawed person, because of the food choices I wanted to make. The fat-shaming I encountered as a child was a part of me no matter how far I ran or how hard I dieted. And with that first Mounjaro injection, it began to disappear. I saw that while grown-ups and doctors had blamed me for overeating, my own biology had set me up to fail.

When you define yourself by being overweight, by your sense of weakness and failure, it warps how you view every other aspect of life. By nearly any measure, I'm a very driven person. After graduating from Harvard Law School, I worked at one of the top law firms in the country before founding a civil-rights nonprofit. I've run dozens of long-distance races, appeared in hundreds of TV segments, vied at a dozen Moth story slams. But I still thought of myself as a lazy, undisciplined person. Sure, I ran 30 miles a week, but it was at a "fat-guy pace." Sure, I played tennis for four, five, even six hours a weekend, but I was doing the "easy" clinic. At work, body image fueled the imposter syndrome that discounted what I built. And I don't even know where to begin when it comes to the cacophony of chaos I call dating.

"These drugs can reprogram not only how our brains make choices but how we view ourselves."

All those feelings didn't disappear the instant I injected the first shot, but for the first time in my life I could see them at arm's length, mapping the tenuous threads that tethered them to painful childhood memories. No matter how many times you're told that everyone's metabolism is different, you don't truly believe it until the moment you feel it.

Others have noted the questions these drugs raise about free will, but many of these conversations have missed the role that shame plays in how we see weight. These drugs can reprogram not only how our brains make choices but how we view ourselves. They can stop the vicious feedback loop where our food choices and weight drive the shame that drives our food choices and weight.

After seeing my own response to Mounjaro, I wasn't surprised to learn that researchers are investigating whether GLP-1s can treat addictions to drugs, alcohol, smoking, and even gambling. Some people have even reported that they've helped control compulsive behaviors like skin picking. The data is preliminary, and these drugs might not work for all these conditions. Still, it seems clear that these medications can help shape our behaviors in a way that wasn't possible. That's where the truly tough questions start.

GLP-1s highlights how often we blame, even punish, people for choices that aren't truly their own. And this goes far beyond food. Most legal scholars think that punishment is unjust without blameworthiness, but so many of those in our prisons and jails are arrested because of an addiction. We pretend we can delineate the brain and the body, untangling what's choice and what's craving. But it's a farce. Those with serious addictions (and their families) have long understood that biology and cognition are linked. GLP-1s will give millions more this crucial insight, bringing so much of our criminal system into question. Blameworthiness is the cornerstone of criminalization. It's why (at least in theory) we don't punish people for crimes they commit by accident, when incapacitated, or held at gunpoint. Viewed through the GLP-1 lens, so much of our legal system looks like Stephen Spielberg's "Minority Report." The film posited a bleak future where suspects were arrested for pre-crimes they had not yet committed, but would commit one day. Watching the movie, it feels so wrong to imprison people who haven't even chosen to break the law. And that same feeling could impact how we view the prosecution of DUIs, drug offenses, and much more.
Photo of Albert Fox Cahn.
In just the past five months, Mounjaro has been bewilderingly life-changing for me. David Vades Joseph for BI

Other vexing questions — like how and when to administer GLP-1s to kids — will come even sooner. About 17% of 10- to 17-year-olds in the US are classified as obese. While many contest current body-mass standards, millions of children are already being advised to lose weight. Who should choose whether to use GLP-1s? Should it be an option at all? It'd be one thing if these medications were just weight-loss drugs, but altering a child's mindset during development could have lifelong effects. The moral questions grow even thornier in cases where children and parents disagree. The ethics of consent become incredibly complex to navigate.

In just the past five months, Mounjaro has been bewilderingly life-changing for me: I've lost more than 40 pounds, started running again — finishing my first half marathon since Covid-19 started — and my cholesterol and blood pressure are the healthiest they've ever been. I've been freed from a growing list of medications doctors warned I might be shackled to for the rest of my life.

Shortly before writing this piece, I stopped taking Mounjaro for a month. I wanted to see what it'd be like to go back to the status quo. While many people who stop using GLP-1s start to put back on the pounds, I managed not to regain weight. It was a hollow victory, though, because it was a month of agony. I constantly forced myself to turn away from the things I wanted, to ignore the endless array of temptations. But no matter how heavy that burden was, one thing made it easier to bear: I wasn't weighed down by my shame.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wha...%2018,%20202 4
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-24, 13:58

BF:

I understand - it took me years and years to actually get to the point that I finally developed an aversion to sugar and starch simply by intentionally cutting them out of my diet. It was hard, especially at first. It took a will I didn't know I had to avoid the tempting aisles in the grocery store. I still gave in many times those first few years, although the mis-steps happened less frequently over time.

Each time I caved, there were only 2 choices - either give in to the cravings and give up LC completely... or fight my way back to LC, and resolve to stick to it. Over and over again, until it finally started to feel like second nature to eat LC.

I still make some LC treats, but I don't crave sugar and starch as such.

But again, it took years to get to that point, so I can only imagine the utter relief he felt when he had no desire at all for those cookies - and sympathize with his current cravings, because he may have effortlessly lost weight, but it's going to take a tremendous amount of willpower to continue maintaining that weight loss, since he relied on a drug to change his thoughts about food and his eating habits, and now he needs to completely re-align his true thought processes.