Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Best sweetner?

I bought some Erythritol crystals the other day because I saw it (never seen it in a store before) but I honestly can't remember WHY it is good...I just know that I read that somewhere. And is it supposed to be combined with something else? I like the taste of Splendo but I know there is carbs in the powder form. I can't stand Stevia (sorry). And I avoid Xylitol because I have pets. I'm trying Truvia in coffee right now and it's all right. I don't mind DaVinci syrups but can't find a plain one so I get flavouring whether I like it or not. Any thoughts on sweetners especially for cooking with. And please don't tell me I need to cut them all out and get used to the taste of unsweetened food - hats off to all you purists out there, but I'm not quite ready to give it up yet. Baby steps, Bob!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 11:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I am/was partial to sucralose.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 11:49

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I use liquid sucralose, too. I bought a bag of generic Splenda sometime last year. I use it so rarely I'm wondering if I'm ever going to use it up!

The DaVinci plain sweetener is pretty much the same as the Apriva sucralose, but I don't know if they are the same strength - they both have water as the first ingredient. I'm betting they are, and if they are, then the Da Vinci sweetener without flavoring would be a lot cheaper.

I get the DaVinci syrups at a restaurant supply store - cheaper than regular stores & a ton more flavors. If you don't have a restaurant supply in your city, try on-line.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 12:01
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I've used Sucra Drops for years. The same sweetener as Splenda, but without the carbs. I buy it on amazon.

SucraDrops 4 oz Bottle on Amazon

I use Erythritol crystals and stevia drops, too - often combining smaller amounts of multiple sweeteners. I made use of natural (Erythritol, stevia) and artificial sweeteners (sucralose, aspartame) through much of my journey. In 2017 I have been trying to eliminate the artificial sweeteners. I haven't completely accomplished that, but I have cut way back on them. "Sweet" tends to make me over eat. The artificial sweeteners seem to do that to me more than the natural sweeteners.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 12:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Are you baking or adding to drinks? Different ones might be better depending on use. I like Swerve for baking. this may be the list you saw:
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/guid...ral-sweeteners/
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 13:02

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I use the liquids....either EZ Sweet and recently I tried Splenda's liquid. My big test is to sweeten black tea and not taste any "off" flavor. The two mentioned above are pretty good if you get the amount right. EZ sweet is easier to "measure" because you can squeeze out one drop at a time and count it, so once you get the amount right you know how much to use. The Splenda liquid comes out in a stream so I don't like it as well for that reason, much less precise. That said, with Splenda I mostly get the amount right.

I've used EZ sweet to do cheesecake and it's fabulous for that, you can't even tell there is an AF in it. I don't actually sweeten very many things anyway, so I'm happy with the liquids for occasional use. Both are sold on Amazon and at the rate I use them, they last for a LONG time.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 13:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

For natural sweeteners, I like the SweetLeaf Stevia; however, my 70 count packet box didn't last long before humidity made the remaining packets clumps of fused powder. SweetLeaf, to me, tastes more like a true sugar than other brands.

For artificial, Sucralose is the only one I'll use, and I usually get a liquid brand like Ez-Sweetz. A little goes a long way.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 15:25

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

That's a good idea to switch to liquid sweeteners to avoid the carbs! Thanks for the links.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I like erythritol because it is a natural sweetener and does not cause either tooth decay or GI upset. It is only about 70% as sweet as sugar but I tend to like things not very sweet anyway so it if ok with me. I like it to bake with. I use liquid splenda as well, and I flavor my yogurt with the packaged drink mixes that come in individual serving s meant to be added to water bottles for flavoring. A little goes a long way.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 16:21
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I've used just about every one out there over the years, but my favorite is cyclamate, which I buy online from Canada.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 16:39
Registered Member

Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use erythritol for occasional baking, but I'm going to give this a go at the weekend: http://preparednessmama.com/diy-stevia-leaf/

It's my first attempt, so I'm not sure how it will turn out...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 18:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wow, perfect timing. thanks for this recipe. I only dried the leaves last year and was surprised 1. The plant even came back and 2. is already quite large and needs to be cut. Was planning to look for an extract recipe this weekend.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 11:04

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

what kind of stevia have you tried?

different brands taste different and if you haven't tried it in a while, they seem to be getting better at making the stuff--i've always had good luck with 'now' brand stevia.

it also works better in combination with another sweetener, ie stevia + erythritol gives a better sweet taste than either of them on their own.

and if you like cinnamon, it gives a sweet taste too, so you can use less sweetener if you use the cinnamon.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 16:18
Registered Member

Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Wow, perfect timing. thanks for this recipe. I only dried the leaves last year and was surprised 1. The plant even came back and 2. is already quite large and needs to be cut. Was planning to look for an extract recipe this weekend.

No problem - hope that it goes well!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm using the same kind of drops that Ken does. They arrived a few days ago and I am truly amazed at how sweet just a tiny drop is!