Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/149/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Groove Jock - thanks for the help. I have a question for you and Jenniferni and ALL who have completed 2 weeks...then what? Do you go back to low carb and exercise? Do you do the same thing but with occassional cheat meals? I know I know, I should get the book...Im just impatient, but I will go buy the book today.
Also, I noticed the boot camp videos, but I also noticed that he is actually having a DVD come out that is for the Ultimate Body Plan program. So, I'm assuming it's the exercises he shows in the book, but on DVD? Anyone know? I saw it had a core program and such, but I didn't see anything about the sculpting routine you all have mentioned.
Have a healthy day - groove - keep us posted on your weigh in!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 12:50
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/115 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default questions about the plan.

Hello all,

I've been skimming through this forum and everyone is so informative! I am very seriously considering this plan for a few weeks. I'm basically stuck right now with my stats/weight/everything. I am currently training for a half marathon the week of March 12 so I am worried about cutting back too much on calories yet I need to get leaner and drop these last 15-20 pounds!

Does anyone have any specific recommendations? Or maybe some general ideas of how much you have lost in a 2 week period? I'm only 5'2, 145 but my body fat is around 25% so I need to get that down, especially for running performance.

Any thoughts?
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 12:59

Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%
Default protein shakes are key

Whenever I do lo carb eating, I normally feel as though I can't complete my workouts. However by drinking these protein shakes, I have so much more energy. Drink the shakes, get your workouts in, and you'll be fine. The cardio-sculpting routine is difficult, but the more you do it, the better you'll get.

For me I'm 5'6" and my highest weight was 152, I've done the plan for just over a week, and I'm now at 147. I haven't followed the plan to a "T" but I hope to get to 129 eventually.

I'd like my bf to get around 19, I started at 33%, and this morning I was 31%.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 13:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default a particular protein shake brand?

Thanks for the input. Do you recommend a specific protein shake brand or blend?

I go back and forth with those since there are so many out there.

Thanks!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 14:50

Plan: ultimate new york body pl
Stats: 152/139/134 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have completed the two weeks, but not great like you guys are doing! The food was no problem for me, since when I am motivated, I can do anything, except get in the exercise. I have been walking but that is it. I only lost 5 pounds in the two weeks, but the inches , well, thats a different story! I finally fit into my jeans that I could not get past my thighs in June. I feel great, but don't know which diet to progress to now. Today is day 16 for me. I made a dinner from the Maintenance part of the book, Chicken baked with apple slices. Man, you would think I was eating a MilkyWay bar! I am thinking of switching to BodyForLife now. I have four kids, and really can't get to the gym like I KNOW I should. Keep up the great work, and WISH ME LUCK!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 14:51

Default shake it up

I don't have my book with me right now, but you can either order shakes from David's website, or follow the instructions he recommends in the book, he says it should be whey protein isolate, less than 5 grams carbs per serving, should have at least 20 grams protein per serving, very little sugar, and fiber is good. I just bought mine from GNC, chocolate flavor, mixed with water, and I add liquid vitamins.

It's not great, but it helps to cut the cravings-
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 17:43

Plan: Ultimate New York Body Pl
Stats: 156.5/150.5/136 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default 5 months post partum and seeing GREAT results on day 4

First, congrats to everyone who's working hard at a healthier lifestyle! BRAVO!

I gained 36 pounds with my pregnancy and lost 16 at the 1 month visit. At the 4 month visit, my total weight loss was still at 16 - only you mothers can understand that horror!! Prior to getting pregnant, I was a committed Body For Lifer for 2 years, and a perfect size 4. Don't think for one second I don't ADORE my new baby girl, but she left me in a size 12 jeans...UGH!! I tried to go back to BFL for 3 weeks, but my body is just so different now, and the results were dismal. You can only imagine what that did to my motivatation. Knowing I had to do something drastic to get a kick start going to healthy living again, I turned to the Ultimate New York Body Plan, all I can say is WOW! I've lost 6 pounds in 4 days and am already down to a size 10. I've been religious with the food and intense with the workouts. I get up at 5:15 a.m., feed the baby, put her back to bed and head straight to the gym. I have to admit that I struggle with core strength, but that's to be expected. Also, I could only manage to do 25min of intense cardio the first day, but committed to adding at least 2 more minutes a day, and am now up to 33 minutes.

It's hard, and some days it just really sucks, but it's a 2 week kick in the butt program. So, for all you new mothers out there, just disgusted at feeling your loose stomachs hit the sink when you brush your teeth (and you know what I mean!!) just make the time to do this. It's a real pick me up, and EXACTLY what your metabolism needs!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 05:08

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

NYBP Update:

I LOST 2 INCHS! This is a big deal b/c I hit my goal a while back but I have some toning to do in my stomach area. Whats even better is that I the scale only moved down 1 lb this morning. That means i gained some mass but lost fat!

I think I am going to go back to Mant for 2 weeks then go on another UNYBP cut (2 week plan)

I can see those abs coming in!!!! yay!
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 09:40
Registered Member

Stats: 158/149/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Groovejock - congratulations on your successful completion and wonderful gains (and inches lost!) It has been very helpful and inspiring to read your posts. I finally bought the book yesterday and will start next week (I'd start today, but Im going to Vegas this weekend and I plan to drink a few!)

Anyway, to all of you - do you do the program at home or at the gym? I would feel silly taking my book and figuring it out at the gym so I'll probably do that part at home. Also, David Kirsch didn't mention anything about splitting the training. Would it be okay to do cardio in the AM and the core program in the late afternoon? Or is it meant to be done altogether?

Congrats again to all and keep it up! Have a great day!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 10:04

Plan: New york body plan
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5-9
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hopeful 15, I do the routines at home. I agree - I wasn't comfortable doing some of these moves at the gym. You can split up the training. It says it somewhere in his book. For the days that you need to do the 45 minute routine, I do the cardio in the am and the core routine at night.

Good luck! I have lost 2 more pounds and hope to lose 3 more by the end of the 2 weeks (Monday!).
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 15:29

Plan: Ultimate New York Body
Stats: 162/143/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Post 2 week plan

I finished my 2 weeks the week of Thanksgiving with a total loss of 9 pounds. Since then, I've stayed on the program for almost all my meals, and I've worked out with the cardio/sculpt and running about 4-5 days a week. I have added back in my usual glass or two of wine a night, and I've added in some whole grain bread in the morning, but other than that I'm pretty strict. Also, I eat at least one cheat meal a week - that's how I got through the Holidays. Since my two week period, I've lost an additional 9 or 10 pounds. I'm going to the beach the end of February and plan to do the hard core 2 weeks before I go.

To answer some of the above questions - I use the champion nutrition "pure whey" shake, and it tastes good and mixes easily. I do all of my workouts at home - I run on a treadmill. When I was doing the first two weeks, I broke up my workouts a lot - it was the only way to get through them. Since then, it's gotten a lot easier, but I still struggle with the amount of time. I'm not a morning person, so getting up early enough to do 1.5 hours of exercise is tough.

My biggest problem lately is continuing to lose. I think I've lost inches, but I haven't lost pounds. I guess I should keep a better watch on my inches, and not worry so much about the scale.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 07:22

Default Jenniferni GREAT JOB!

Jenniferni & GrooveJock, you guys give me hope. I have a habit of trying an exercise program, doing great for 4-5 days, then falling off the wagon but I hope to get back on track!

I love working out, and I think the cardio sculpt routine is great. I've just had too many treats and need to start again. Hopefully on Monday I'll be as excited as I was last week.

Nicole
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 09:02

Plan: ultimate new york body pl
Stats: 152/139/134 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

OK, I guess I am the only "poster" that is not losing any weight (5 lbs, but for what I eat, not really what I want to see on the scale). After being grateful for finding this site, now I am depressed!
And newmommie, congrats on the great start! I have four kids, and yes, its tough when your body changes like that, but it can go back. I have never been my perfect size 7 again, but, I am back to my 7's! I am working on the perfection part!! Good luck!
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 11:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default got the book!

Hi everyone,

I just picked up the book and got 2 of the DVD's as well. I'm going to start on Monday since this weekend I am out of town and my eating will not leans itself to the plan.

I mentioned this earlier but I am in the middle of training for a half marathon which is in 7 weeks. So my long run is much longer than 45 minutes of cardio suggested by David. Did anyone experience a lot of low energy/feeling depleted days? I want to really focus on this program and follow it to a T but I do not want to find myself overworked and have my running performance influenced.

Lastly, for a few women who have tried the cardio sculpting routine and previously lifted weights. What weight did you use for the free weights? I'm not sure what to get and will have to pick up some free weights.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 14:02

Default trying it again

Okay everyone-

I'll try again on Monday, maybe this time I'll last more than 4 days, ahem...

For the hand weight question, I happened to have some 3# weights, and those work pretty well. The reps are high, so go for 3#-4#, I think 5# might be too heavy. My husband had a 10# medicine ball, and I can do almost all the moves with it, I just can't hold it in one hand ( I need both hands to grip it), so that is a challenge but only for like 2 exercises I think.

I did a 1/2 marathon in October, and I'm sure you'll do great! Just get your long training runs in, and you'll ROCK. I ran the whole race, but much slower than I expected, it was tough. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do a full marathon this year, I'm still on the fence?